• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Let’s not overlook the FACT that the infrastructure is not in place for the charging of electric cars at homes on a large scale. I checked with our local municipality (granted I live in a rural area), and we can support 8 more home charging stations on our circuit. So if we were to adopt it large scale, major investment in utilities would need to take place first.
    So there is no capacity to build any new houses or businesses around you?

Emo66

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2021
    Valparaiso
    Actually local developers have been told to limit subdivision, but not because the grid cannot support them. The lack of power poles and transformers at the local (co-op) level is dictating that. And you are correct, any additional infrastructure load requirements would be paid for by the developers.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    He's talking about the existing infrastructure. If it were to be developed, the developers would pay for the additional infrastructure I would think.
    You're telling me that if they were to build a house on the 10 acres next to me that they would be paying to have additional infrastructure installed somewhere?

One charger looks to max out at 48A/240V. If an electric company can't handle adding more than eight of those to the grid, they are in sad shape.

Emo66

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2021
    Valparaiso
    I built on 10 acres and had to pay for my own infrastructure. I had over $10k in line and transformer to get power to my property. It’s the same for developers, but on a much grander scale. When you are building a subdivision you have to increase the infrastructure upstream of your project.
    The utilities don’t just do that out of the goodness of their heart. Then you have the cost of the actual service to your project.

And as far as chargers go, I’m just relaying what I was told by the engineer at our co-op.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    You're telling me that if they were to build a house on the 10 acres next to me that they would be paying to have additional infrastructure installed somewhere?

One charger looks to max out at 48A/240V. If an electric company can't handle adding more than eight of those to the grid, they are in sad shape.
    Don’t know about that but our area is still growing and the power company is putting in a new substation and need to run a new 69 kV transmission line to our area. There has been an uproar as nobody wants it near their neighborhood or even along some of the busier roads. Yet EVs are taking over our area.

Can’t have it both ways.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I built on 10 acres and had to pay for my own infrastructure. I had over $10k in line and transformer to get power to my property. It’s the same for developers, but on a much grander scale. When you are building a subdivision you have to increase the infrastructure upstream of your project.
    The utilities don’t just do that out of the goodness of their heart. Then you have the cost of the actual service to your project.

And as far as chargers go, I’m just relaying what I was told by the engineer at our co-op.
    That is not infrastructure. Of course you pay to tie into the grid.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Actually local developers have been told to limit subdivision, but not because the grid cannot support them. The lack of power poles and transformers at the local (co-op) level is dictating that. And you are correct, any additional infrastructure load requirements would be paid for by the developers.
    Not only is there a massive shortage of transformers but many electrical panels and gear as well...

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2022
    Indianapolis
    My previous post gave me an investment idea.

What if I bought a fleet of portable tow-able diesel generators to service people who couldn't make it to the next charging station?
    Build a phone app that marks your location and we come out and give a bump charge, enough to get to the nearest charger.
    For a hefty fee of course.
    Thats quite clever, just like roadside assistance which brings gas for people who run out.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2022
    Indianapolis
    I am proudly anti-EV! There I sad it. **** this being pushed down our throats…
    I don't like anything being pushed down my throat either. But being "proudly anti-EV"? Come on now. When science finally outpaces propaganda (on either side) and the functionality, affordability and convenience of electric vehicles finally surpasses gasoline (which it will) I find it hard to believe anyone will stick with gas just as a middle finger to the system lol Buying gas is lame. It's expensive. Gas stations are like shootout magnets. Plus i can get electricity from the sun. I cant get gas from the sun. They need to start making electric vehicles that address the issues mentioned though. Until then I am reluctantly stuck with gas. Exceptions will of course be made for car collectors though because the beauty is in the combustion. The feel and the sound.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I don't like anything being pushed down my throat either. But being "proudly anti-EV"? Come on now. When science finally outpaces propaganda (on either side) and the functionality, affordability and convenience of electric vehicles finally surpasses gasoline (which it will) I find it hard to believe anyone will stick with gas just as a middle finger to the system lol Buying gas is lame. It's expensive. Gas stations are like shootout magnets. Plus i can get electricity from the sun. I cant get gas from the sun. They need to start making electric vehicles that address the issues mentioned though. Until then I am reluctantly stuck with gas. Exceptions will of course be made for car collectors though because the beauty is in the combustion. The feel and the sound.
    I do not believe EV would have been the future if free markets were in play. It is a communistic style play where crooks and charlatans, er, I mean politicians and their cronies, decided the future, not free markets. I believe free markets would have developed a different approach.

Proudly free market, proudly anti-EV because it is not free market…

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield

First thought when reading the headline: wow, that's insane.
    However, reading the story: “That’s what happens when you try to charge the largest battery truck using a 120 outlet,” he added.

just another clickbait headline for a youtuber trying to get clicks

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Not sure if this has been posted in this thread before.

How long until the city says these charging stations are not worth repairing? (<yes, pointless question seeing how this is happening in Seattle)

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Not sure if this has been posted in this thread before.

How long until the city says these charging stations are not worth repairing? (<yes, pointless question seeing how this is happening in Seattle)
    How long until a thief fries himself stealing the copper?

Top Bottom