Not open for further replies.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Mornin' Sam and Expat! Going to try and replace the front wheel bushings on the riding mower this morning. There will be a blow torch involved. Tried beating them out with a mallet and screwdriver yesterday and they weren't budging. This is where I lose patience when working on stuff myself. If it comes off and goes back on easily, then cool. If not, then I'm not a happy camper.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Mornin' Sam and Expat! Going to try and replace the front wheel bushings on the riding mower this morning. There will be a blow torch involved. Tried beating them out with a mallet and screwdriver yesterday and they weren't budging. This is where I lose patience when working on stuff myself. If it comes off and goes back on easily, then cool. If not, then I'm not a happy camper.

this is why we have a 25 ton press.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    this is why we have a 25 ton press.

They're 2-piece bushings though, so I've got to push each side out from the inside of the hub. I'm not sure how that would work with a press. There's a gap between the 2 pieces, so that's where I was beating on them with the mallet and screwdriver.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    They're 2-piece bushings though, so I've got to push each side out from the inside of the hub. I'm not sure how that would work with a press. There's a gap between the 2 pieces, so that's where I was beating on them with the mallet and screwdriver.

I see. Is this a serviceable item. I mean actually meant to be replaced/repaired...???

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I see. Is this a serviceable item. I mean actually meant to be replaced/repaired...???

Yeah, they sell the replacement bushings (I've got the new ones). I'm hoping a little heat on the outside of the hub will let it expand just enough to loosen things up. Just have to be careful that the bushings don't get hot enough to expand as much as the hub.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom