• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    So is C&C burnouts and drifting? Doesn't sound like I missed much. I know the guy does some interesting stuff with turbos but I guess I'm of a different subset.

:flamethrower:
    The burnouts are the main attraction. But there is drag racing too. They had some jet cars running also. A demo drag at the end. It was entertaining. There was just a sample of drifting. Other places that host it have drifting though.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Tore into the truck today in ernest. Tore the carb apart. All the "non-stick" gaskets were mush and stuck to everything. Brown gunk in the bowls and secondary jets. So I got to a stopping point and came in and ordered a gasket kit.

This has 70 primary jets and 74 secondary. I have no idea if this is good, bad, too much or too little. 650, sitting on a 350ci 9.8:1 small block with a moderately sized cam. I don't remember specific specs but it was around .500-ish lift and no idea what the duration was.

I swear this is like black magic and voodoo to me.

Attachments

• 1619985279762.png
      1619985279762.png
      656.4 KB · Views: 3

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Tore into the truck today in ernest. Tore the carb apart. All the "non-stick" gaskets were mush and stuck to everything. Brown gunk in the bowls and secondary jets. So I got to a stopping point and came in and ordered a gasket kit.

This has 70 primary jets and 74 secondary. I have no idea if this is good, bad, too much or too little. 650, sitting on a 350ci 9.8:1 small block with a moderately sized cam. I don't remember specific specs but it was around .500-ish lift and no idea what the duration was.

I swear this is like black magic and voodoo to me.
    What do the plugs look like?

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    well, it hasnt run long enough in 2 years to answer that. Currently trying to get it running/idling/drivable then fixing the smoking out of the right bank. Trying to read the plugs right now is not going to happen.
    Oh , yeah probably best to get it squared away and running good, then you can know where you're at.

The smoking on one bank doesn't sound good for reading the plugs either though

Holley may have a reference chart for it. It looks like a 4150 correct?

Last edited:

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Rust in a hard line or distribution block? Problem with a prop valve, again, internal? Sounds like you've got a monkey throwing extra ingredients into your lemonade recipe. Wish I could offer some legit advice or btdt help but you've hit on everything in the system.
    Question: if I have had the system flushed, could there still be rust or some garbage in the lines that is causing issues?
    I know that the fluid has likely never been flushed before last year. It makes me wonder if the inside of the lines is borked and still causing issues.
    I found a site, sstubes.com, that has all of the hard lines for only $180. Thinking about buying them.

Quick recap of my weekend: we bought a new car on Friday. 2017 Ford Explorer Sport, with the V6 twin turbo. It's a good time and I'm looking forward to our future with it. Cleetus and Cars on Saturday was freaking fantastic. We met a lot of those YouTube famous guys and it's cool that they are seriously just as normal as us. And today was... Well it sucked that I had issues with the Mustang, but it was still a good time at the track.

I think the input shaft bearing is toast. Something is for sure wrong with the transmission, just not sure what. Gonna have to take it out this week.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    BZ is that carb box stock. I am with FM here. Seems (memory...:fogey) I start with 72's on all 4 corners and read the plugs. Go from there.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Question: if I have had the system flushed, could there still be rust or some garbage in the lines that is causing issues?
    I know that the fluid has likely never been flushed before last year. It makes me wonder if the inside of the lines is borked and still causing issues.
    I found a site, sstubes.com, that has all of the hard lines for only $180. Thinking about buying them.

Quick recap of my weekend: we bought a new car on Friday. 2017 Ford Explorer Sport, with the V6 twin turbo. It's a good time and I'm looking forward to our future with it. Cleetus and Cars on Saturday was freaking fantastic. We met a lot of those YouTube famous guys and it's cool that they are seriously just as normal as us. And today was... Well it sucked that I had issues with the Mustang, but it was still a good time at the track.

I think the input shaft bearing is toast. Something is for sure wrong with the transmission, just not sure what. Gonna have to take it out this week.
    Question......have you removed one of the wonky calipers and dismantled it. I feel if you did all your questions may well be answered.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

Yeah, you could have a chunk stuck in a fitting. Probably not very likely, but you've already did all the likely issues.
    I'm with the Mouse. Pop the caliper apart and see if it's full of crap.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah, you could have a chunk stuck in a fitting. Probably not very likely, but you've already did all the likely issues.
    I'm with the Mouse. Pop the caliper apart and see if it's full of crap.
    I wonder if these are rebuilt or new pieces he has replaced the OEM's with.
    How tight (tolerances) are the pistons in the bores. To stick a new one it would have to get some serious crap in it or just be to tight.
    Question.....Are the pads floating in the mounts when you installed them. My old 3500 Chevy conversion van was a pain as the 'pads had to be fit to the mounts. Once I figured out there was a build up of rust/crap on the mount rails that was half the problem but the pads went on way to tight.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Both calipers in question were replaced about 60k miles ago when I first got the truck together. They were not OEM, but from one of the main stores. Likely Advance. I think the driver rear was replaced a second time many moons ago via Rock Auto.
    I've never disassembled a caliper. I can look into the process, but considering they've been replaced, is it worth looking at? I mean. I guess so. Something is wrong. Might as well check all involved components.

Floating pads? Like... They sit in a bracket that is attached to the axle, then the caliper bolts to that bracket. The pads have ears that ride in little channels on that bracket. I didn't take the bracket off and clean those channels out, but I did lube the rails up last time and also made sure that the pads were moving freely. Still locked up within a couple of days.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I wonder if these are rebuilt or new pieces he has replaced the OEM's with.
    How tight (tolerances) are the pistons in the bores. To stick a new one it would have to get some serious crap in it or just be to tight.
    Question.....Are the pads floating in the mounts when you installed them. My old 3500 Chevy conversion van was a pain as the 'pads had to be fit to the mounts. Once I figured out there was a build up of rust/crap on the mount rails that was half the problem but the pads went on way to tight.
    Not sure how long they've been on. If the fluid has never been flushed then it has a lot of moisture in it. I was thinking if it's steel pistons they would rust quickly and be hanging up. My thoughts are the only thing all the calipers share is the fluid, and I think he said he was having problems with them all randomly.

Top Bottom