• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Well men, it looks like CM will get his wish with my diff. I took it out today and cleaned it up real good in prep for oiling and final install.

That was when I noticed one of the carrier bearings was totally galled up.

Since I don't have an arbor press, cup style bearing remover, die grinder to make a set of sacrificial bearings, I think I'm going to pay someone to set it up for me.

I hate to accept defeat (again as far as diffs are concerned), but a man has to know his limitations.

If any of you wants to make some money and set up my ring and pinion, I'll be happy to bring the housing and required parts to do so. It won't have axles, knuckles, brakes, etc so it's not too bad to move around. I'd just as soon pay one you guys than a shop.

If not, I'm going to check a guy here in Ellettsville. If I don't get a warm and fuzzy from them, I will probably take it up to Laporte. They seemed like good enough people on the phone.

Disappointed, but I want it done right. Lesson learned; just cuz you got it out of a junkyard and it was working doesn't mean it doesn't need serious overhaulin!
    Dang, Laporte is a heck of a haul for you. Hopefully there is someone closer than that.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well men, it looks like CM will get his wish with my diff. I took it out today and cleaned it up real good in prep for oiling and final install.

Since I don't have an arbor press, cup style bearing remover, die grinder to make a set of sacrificial bearings, I think I'm going to pay someone to set it up for me.

I hate to accept defeat (again as far as diffs are concerned), but a man has to know his limitations.

If any of you wants to make some money and set up my ring and pinion, I'll be happy to bring the housing and required parts to do so. It won't have axles, knuckles, brakes, etc so it's not too bad to move around. I'd just as soon pay one you guys than a shop.

If not, I'm going to check a guy here in Ellettsville. If I don't get a warm and fuzzy from them, I will probably take it up to Laporte. They seemed like good enough people on the phone.

Disappointed, but I want it done right. Lesson learned; just cuz you got it out of a junkyard and it was working doesn't mean it doesn't need serious overhaulin!
    I do hate this for you. Really.
    If I still had my press and all the related tools you could bring it here and we would do a class on it but alas I do not. Life has dealt that hand of cards and I am playing them right now.
    This is one of the reasons I always start from scratch on an older/used 3rd member. These are the least serviced devices on any vehicle on the road. Ask anybody with a 10 plus year old car they have owned since new if the diff/diffs were ever serviced. Just like an auto trans most will go “What, service it”. “Do you have to” ??

We service every fluid holding device on our vehicles regularly. Engine oil on mileage and trans/diff’s every other year.
    That’s just me. But even money with near 160K on the clock the gears/bearings in the diff’s in my 4X4 are standing tall.

Keep us apprised on your progress with your project. And pay no attention to some of us when you get to the engine. We can be a bad influence.
    :):

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

I'm not ready to give up yet, darn it! I am a stubborn old guy! I know I can make the adjustments and get it dialed in. It's the tools that are holding me back. I'm thinking it wouldn't cost much to buy a die grinder and make some set up bearings.

I suppose I could find a shop to press off the bearings that are it now and after I get it set up, press on the new bearings.

I can check out a cup installation tool to drive the pinion races into the housing. and knocking the old ones out are no problemo.

What do you guys think? Suck it up and pay someone $300-400 and hand him the stuff?

Or invest some money (and time) and DIY it?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Set it up with the new parts wild man.
    You are over thinking it.
    It’s the process.

Thing about buying the tools is how many more of these or similar work will you be doing. I tooled up early on and added as the work called for it. Ended up replacing worn/broken tools along the path.
    Might be best to pay the labor.

Last edited:

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I'm not ready to give up yet, darn it! I am a stubborn old guy! I know I can make the adjustments and get it dialed in. It's the tools that are holding me back. I'm thinking it wouldn't cost much to buy a die grinder and make some set up bearings.

I suppose I could find a shop to press off the bearings that are it now and after I get it set up, press on the new bearings.

I can check out a cup installation tool to drive the pinion races into the housing. and knocking the old ones out are no problemo.

What do you guys think? Suck it up and pay someone $300-400 and hand him the stuff?

Or invest some money (and time) and DIY it?
    I say go for it. If you don't have a decent air compressor get an electric die grinder. A parts store may have bearing installer kits, or just take the old ones to hardware store and get a piece of pipe the correct size. Just make sure to size it to the proper spot of the bearing. One for the cups and a smaller one for the rollers.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I say go for it. If you don't have a decent air compressor get an electric die grinder. A parts store may have bearing installer kits, or just take the old ones to hardware store and get a piece of pipe the correct size. Just make sure to size it to the proper spot of the bearing. One for the cups and a smaller one for the rollers.
    Put the pinion in the freezer for a few hours or overnight.
    Put the bearings in the oven at 400* for long enough to expand them.
    Secure the pinion. Glove up and get the bearing and it might just ease itself most of the way. Set it with the pipe and BFH...:)

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    What a beautiful day for being outdoors
    trackbird.jpg

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Greased up the ujoint and attempted to "phase" the driveshaft. Nope. Has a horrible vibration at all 4 positions. Placing an order for an aluminum shaft tonight.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My parents neighbors went to Martin Michigan to race today. Dad and daughter both had their cars. I know I've posted this before but I had her age wrong. She's only 6. She also got her first round win today. Her dad broke out in the second round.

View attachment 200623
    You are racing yourself in the brackets. When you win it is you doing the winning. When you loose, well, yeah its most often you. Mechanical failure aside.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I got out to Muncie last weekend. I got 4 passes in before someone oiled down the track and I was ready to go home.

I picked up almost 1/2 a second in the 1/4! Went from 12.912 to a 12.432. 60' time went from 1.985 to 1.758. MPH stayed about the same. The changes from that pass were a different transmission and a higher stall converter.

There might be some more in her before nitrous. I thought I was spinning on the two step but when I look at the data logs it doesn't appear like I was. I need to get out there with someone who can watch. Only issue of the trip was on the last pass it seemed like my line lock quit working.

I have my nitrous bottle bracket made, I just need to get it mounted in the car and run the feed line.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I got out to Muncie last weekend. I got 4 passes in before someone oiled down the track and I was ready to go home.

I picked up almost 1/2 a second in the 1/4! Went from 12.912 to a 12.432. 60' time went from 1.985 to 1.758. MPH stayed about the same. The changes from that pass were a different transmission and a higher stall converter.

There might be some more in her before nitrous. I thought I was spinning on the two step but when I look at the data logs it doesn't appear like I was. I need to get out there with someone who can watch. Only issue of the trip was on the last pass it seemed like my line lock quit working.

I have my nitrous bottle bracket made, I just need to get it mounted in the car and run the feed line.
    Remind me, it this a stock suspension car? What kind of tire is on it?

Top Bottom