• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Hopefully lessons learned on the passenger side transferred over.

Dang, I wish I had a nice project to work on.
    Well at least one I want to do, I got plenty of other things that need done. Lol
    The lessons learned were out to good us on the drivers side. Now I have to source a power steering box 65 and later. The 64 has that horrible piston push pull power "Assist" system. The one on we took off the car is worn out completely.
    This requires a later model box, a link rod and tie rod ends and a pitman arm none of which fit this car. Yes I have a plan and you tube had nothing to do with this.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    The lessons learned were out to good us on the drivers side. Now I have to source a power steering box 65 and later. The 64 has that horrible piston push pull power "Assist" system. The one on we took off the car is worn out completely.
    This requires a later model box, a link rod and tie rod ends and a pitman arm none of which fit this car. Yes I have a plan and you tube had nothing to do with this.
    I believe Classic performance has a kit for this. Not sure what you are running for a steering shaft. If it's the original I think it requires a different rag joint.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I should state that I don't have personal experience with this kit, but a buddy ran one in a 63 bubble top. I believe it caused a couple fitment issues but they were pretty simple workarounds.

I could ask him for more specifics if you need.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I believe Classic performance has a kit for this. Not sure what you are running for a steering shaft. If it's the original I think it requires a different rag joint.
    I looked at a few "Kits".....:):
    I can buy what little they included (pump/box/hoses) for 75% of wat they are asking. No one has the tie rods/links Etc.
    I will just have to make them I guess.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I should state that I don't have personal experience with this kit, but a buddy ran one in a 63 bubble top. I believe it caused a couple fitment issues but they were pretty simple workarounds.

I could ask him for more specifics if you need.
    I think I found it but yes please. Ask him.
    As I see this the parts are....
    -box $300
    -Pump....$180
    -Hose kit/misc $75-Linkage kit....$200

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I think I found it but yes please. Ask him.
    As I see this the parts are....
    -box $300
    -Pump....$180
    -Hose kit/misc $75-Linkage kit....$200
    I will give him a call tomorrow, he does some running around for his job but usually gets back to me pretty quick.
    Are you using the stock steering column and steering wheel?

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Got the drivers side SFC finish welded, went out this morning and fired off the little heaters and will head back out in a few minutes to get the passenger side welded in.

Not sure if I'm dealing with a welder problem or an operator problem but is seems like if I run much of a bead the damn thing acts like it's speeding up and feeding too quickly, spitting and popping. Messed around with it on the bench at various settings but ended up where I started and was able to run about 2 feet of bead that actually looked like I knew what I was doing. It's an older Miller 200, maybe time to upgrade? Don't know if I can have it serviced or not.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Got the drivers side SFC finish welded, went out this morning and fired off the little heaters and will head back out in a few minutes to get the passenger side welded in.

Not sure if I'm dealing with a welder problem or an operator problem but is seems like if I run much of a bead the damn thing acts like it's speeding up and feeding too quickly, spitting and popping. Messed around with it on the bench at various settings but ended up where I started and was able to run about 2 feet of bead that actually looked like I knew what I was doing. It's an older Miller 200, maybe time to upgrade? Don't know if I can have it serviced or not.
    Is that a 115V box. If so it is hitting the duty cycle.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Solid rotors on a street car? It does have plenty of holes but. . . . .
    Yeah thats whet came in the kit for the car. Rears are a double wall with space between. I picked up the T-400 today from Ingo member DKaufman. Now I have to sell the 4L-60E I was going to use.
    Its solid durable to 450+ the way it is built. I have the trans/converter/shifter and the stand alone ECU for it.
    Somebody needs this.........:dunno:

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    CM,
    Would a power steering box and pump off a 65 work?
    Back in the early 80’s I helped a friend with a 63 Impala. I think we got a pump and box off a 65 and it worked?

tjh88

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    Vallonia
    Spent yesterday evening and this morning helping a buddy on his '55 Chevy. He's got it at the body shop for paint but we are getting ready to separate the body from the frame. We spent last evening drilling the new fenders for the trim and the body for the badges. Pulled the steering column this morning. Tomorrow about noon we'll pull the body. The frame is coming back to his place. He has a new 383 with a 700R4 along with some Ridetech suspension and a new rear end. It will be a nice ride when he gets done. It'll be two tone red and black. Looking forward to some forward movement on it. He's had it a year and started the tear down when he got it.
    I'm ready for spring. I've got the itch to do some hot rodding.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    CM,
    Would a power steering box and pump off a 65 work?
    Back in the early 80’s I helped a friend with a 63 Impala. I think we got a pump and box off a 65 and it worked?
    I figured it all out.
    I have the tie rods/ends for a 65 coming in the mail. Power box for a 65 as it does not have that ram power assist thing.
    Have the right pump and its mounted but the pully that came in the March serpentine set is not right. Just ordered a proper one.

When I get all of that on the frame and sorted it will be time to set the engine/trans on the mounts and hang the headers. I am leery of the fit. Engine has angle plug heads on it. Might be an issue.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    What? Did I scare everyone away? Ha

Pulled the differential out of the Stang tonight. Not pretty... New gears are $200, but there's a guy with an 02 GT rear end for $300. No idea the gears or if it also needs rebuilt. But it comes with everything for disc brakes. Makes it worth it even if it does need rebuilt.

Top Bottom