• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A neighbor of mine had one in a boat. He stroked it to 3 liters I think, And I tell you what it was a real ripper. He may have even put a small block Chevy head on it as I remember that wasn't that hard to do.
    THats what the midget guys were doing. Putting a small block Fuely head on them and you suddenly had a screamer.
    There was an issue with the large (2.02) intakes getting into the top of the block, so a relief had to be cut there for clearance and the loss of compression from that made up with the dome on the pistons. The CR or a methanal eating Midget engine was insane.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Been sanding on the areas of the racecar that are going to be painted light gray; I never realized how much fun paint prep is, especially when it's all the details on the underside, engine compartment, trunk, interior, etc. :lmfao:

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    I forgot how much I suck at cutting and welding lol. Really need to get the transmission out of the Mountaineer so I can see where the engine is going to sit angle-wise.

To get to the Mountaineer, I have to get the lawnmower going.... Which needs air in the tires (and potentially new tires if they won't hold air for longer than 5 minutes), spark plugs, a battery, and probably a good carb cleaning.
    Ugh.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Straight 6's are prone to crank twist when the vehicle is heavy and a serios amount of :poop: is applied to them.

I remember these conversations with some guys that were drag racing 300 CI six poppers in rails. Thay said those engines in a heavy package would suffer crank failure after some serious abuse. A buddy in the day raced his OHC Pontiac firebird and he busted the engine a few times with broken crank shafts. He had that thing tweaked out to the max.

Now mind you these were not the current state of the art forged pieces so if the pentastar is doing this they will have to forge a decent crank and brace up the block.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I forgot how much I suck at cutting and welding lol. Really need to get the transmission out of the Mountaineer so I can see where the engine is going to sit angle-wise.

To get to the Mountaineer, I have to get the lawnmower going.... Which needs air in the tires (and potentially new tires if they won't hold air for longer than 5 minutes), spark plugs, a battery, and probably a good carb cleaning.
    Ugh.
    Around here we refer to that as "pushing over the first domino". At the end of the day you'll discover/remember several other things you need to get done, clean out the garage, throw away a bunch of stuff etc and probably never get to the Mountaineer.;)

We suffer that fate regularly.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Around here we refer to that as "pushing over the first domino". At the end of the day you'll discover/remember several other things you need to get done, clean out the garage, throw away a bunch of stuff etc and probably never get to the Mountaineer.;)

We suffer that fate regularly.
    Hence why I've avoided it.
    I was venting to my buddy about it. Said I wasn't looking forward to playing musical cars to get the Mountaineer in the shop to pull the engine/transmission/rear. Then he goes, "does it help if you don't have to get the Mountaineer in the garage?"
    ... Yeah, that would be a huge help.
    "Well I just bought an engine hoist for the Goblin project. You're welcome to borrow it."

That was actually super helpful lol.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I6 BMW‘s make over 500hp with twin turbos. Looks like they are using it as a replacement for the 5.7 probably will get over 30 mpg when paired with the 8 speed transmission.

My 16 Scat Pack could get 27mpg on the interstate at 74mph. That’s a 6.4 liter with the multiple displacement.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I think a Scat Pact Challenger would be so cool to have! Looking from the outside in, they appear to have it all: looks, power, handling, comfort and a huge fun factor.

If I wasn't so darn conservative and tight with my money, I'd work towards getting one. I just haven't gotten to the point to say; "to hell with it,live for once!". :)

Top Bottom