• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Not if they couldn't get product to sell.
    Apparently not Save A Lot?

Maybe not if you aren't a Kroger, Meyer or the like?

I can't help but notice the absence of the regular weekly Fresh Thyme add also?
    Well that is directly related to the financial situation they put themselves in since 2013. COVID is not the reason of their demise. There was no limitations placed upon grocery stores, they was considered a essential business. And to point towards stores having issues getting product, that was a grocery wide issue.

Mooresville's smallest Grocery store, Value Market is 15% of the square footage of any other store in the area (Kroger, Meijers, Wal-Mart) and had no issues.

I just wish a closing would be called for what it really was and not trying to reach to a conclusion that it was COVID related.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Just heard on WIBC that there is a major shortage of bus drivers and cafeteria workers for the school year starting next week. "Due to the pandemic."

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just heard on WIBC that there is a major shortage of bus drivers and cafeteria workers for the school year starting next week. "Due to the pandemic."
    Bus drivers shouldn't be a problem. I saw on the news that schools are encouraging parents to bring their kids to school themselves. At the grade school by me, they've done that all along. I see all these school buses go by with 2 or 3 kids on each, and then a huge line of minivans, SUVs and cars. If I want to go out to get my mail at the wrong time of day, I sometimes have a long wait just to cross the street.

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    Bus drivers shouldn't be a problem. I saw on the news that schools are encouraging parents to bring their kids to school themselves. At the grade school by me, they've done that all along. I see all these school buses go by with 2 or 3 kids on each, and then a huge line of minivans, SUVs and cars. If I want to go out to get my mail at the wrong time of day, I sometimes have a long wait just to cross the street.
    I pass through Wayne Township, Avon, and Plainfield school systems on my way to and from work. They have all had signs for bus drivers for the past two-three years. I drove bus for Wayne for two years when I couldn't find a job in my field. I liked it a lot, but the money wasn't great and the kids were progressively getting worse. I can see why they can't find drivers.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I pass through Wayne Township, Avon, and Plainfield school systems on my way to and from work. They have all had signs for bus drivers for the past two-three years. I drove bus for Wayne for two years when I couldn't find a job in my field. I liked it a lot, but the money wasn't great and the kids were progressively getting worse. I can see why they can't find drivers.
    I just meant that they probably don't need as many as they once might have since, at least in the township schools, they don't seem to get used much. Maybe not in all areas, but around me that seems to be the case. I would be willing to bet that the grade school I mentioned could probably get by with one or two buses, tops.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    No not a "Pandemic" issue.

It's a.....

"Hi, I'm the Democratic Party and I'm going to keep paying you more money to stay home instead of working a job thing".

blues bondsman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2019
    Michigan City
    Classic Tone
    Classic Tone was a small electronics manufacture in Chicago that was killed by covid.
    So what right ? Well...
    They made the very best Classic Fender Tweed sounding Power and output transformers.
    For those of us who build our own Tube amps, this was a major blow !
    Thankfully I kept one of my hand built 5E3 (Fender Tweed Deluxe Tube Amp) with those amazing Transformers.
    Hammond is still out there but nothing beats the Classic Tone stuff.

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    I just meant that they probably don't need as many as they once might have since, at least in the township schools, they don't seem to get used much. Maybe not in all areas, but around me that seems to be the case. I would be willing to bet that the grade school I mentioned could probably get by with one or two buses, tops.
    Maybe, but "walking" is not encouraged, at least in Wayne. I drove for an elementary and the high school, and I had probably 50 or so younguns and about the same number of high schoolers. Now, that was 2005-2007, but the buses I see still are 2/3 or so full every morning.

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    No not a "Pandemic" issue.

It's a.....

"Hi, I'm the Democratic Party and I'm going to keep paying you more money to stay home instead of working a job thing".
    Wouldn't be all that hard, actually. I started out at $17/hr, but I only got 5 or so hours a day. Field trips paid 11, and I took all of those I could for the extra.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Wouldn't be all that hard, actually. I started out at $17/hr, but I only got 5 or so hours a day. Field trips paid 11, and I took all of those I could for the extra.
    But you don't understand, why drive a bus full of kids who are inconsiderate a$$es and take the crap when you can sit at home making more money from the government.

Plus the fact that bus drivers today are abused by the very ones they are transporting.

Bus drivers was once a profession where a person in their senior years could do without having to work all day and still earn supplemental income.

Not that way anymore and take the abuse they have to.

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    But you don't understand, why drive a bus full of kids who are inconsiderate a$$es and take the crap when you can sit at home making more money from the government.

Plus the fact that bus drivers today are abused by the very ones they are transporting.

Bus drivers was once a profession where a person in their senior years could do without having to work all day and still earn supplemental income.

Not that way anymore and take the abuse they have to.
    Sorry, that’s what I was trying to get across. Pay sounds good, but you don’t get that many hours. And with the kids getting worse and unemployment paying double, why go through the hassle.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Sorry, that’s what I was trying to get across. Pay sounds good, but you don’t get that many hours. And with the kids getting worse and unemployment paying double, why go through the hassle.
    Looking back, I feel sorry for the bus driver we had when I was in 8th or 9th grade. She looked and sounded like Edith Bunker. I still remember her yelling, "Put that cigarette out!" And I remember our reply... "It's not a cigarette!" :):

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    The school my spouse works for has had driver shortages for years. She doesn't see much of a difference because of the pandemic or the recent gov handouts.

One exception is a driver said he won't come back if they push the masks again.

Seems that most of the drivers are either farmers, retired or have a spouse that makes up the extra money.

With all the cameras I don't see the drivers getting abused like in the past. Pretty easy to see the problem and have the school boot them for a bit.

I had considered getting on the sub driver list then thought better of it. My schedule is too fluid for that.

I remember the driver I had when I was in 1st and 2nd grade. Had to walk thru a wall of cigar smoke to get on or off the bus.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    My factory...well kinda. You see in 2020 with the lockdowns we made outdoor steel furniture and stuff, so the steel kept us open plus we do things for the government making the same stuff for schools and prisons.....It was a busy year from the start with no let up and people working overtime almost every single week. The company owned by Playpower ran my factory called Wabash Valley in Silver Lake, IN. We made about 27 miilion a year with about 45% profit for them....ya thats big profit. When the pandemic hit and we started working over time they took away all profit sharing....said they were losing money because of covid......we are working over time and sales is through the roof...? In Oct they announced they were moving our company to the mother ship in MO. And told the Warsaw Paper they regret doing it but it was because of covid......? So I was gone in Feb. 2021 with some severance and sign paper not to talk negative about the company or I would lose my severance of 17 weeks.....which has came and gone so no worries now. Was told the company had to spend 2 million for the move, and later told our government paid for it in full because of "covid". Just a big scheme to make a move for free and watch 100 people lose their jobs....was also told later things are not working out good at all....the comment was..."we made the biggest mistake doing this." They claimed in the end they would make 2 million more a year......I honestly believe they have lost there shirts. So did my company go under because of covid.....? Well seems so on paper.

Top Bottom