The Mysterious Case of Rudolf Diesel: Genius, Power, and Deception on the Eve of World War I

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I just got done reading this, part how done it, part technical paper , 100% interesting.
    The back story for you, Rudolph Diesel, against the odds graduate of technical collage as an "engineer " our machinist, got a Doctor our engineer, wanted to change the world, in a good way, invented the Diesel engine
    After the licensing to build his engine all over the world, the threat of WW1 looms every nation wanted the Diesel for their wartime use, and while crossing the English channel, Dr Diesel simply disperses off the ship. Gone. Did the Kaiser have hime killed? Rockefeller (standard oil) have him killed? His engine ran nut oil just fine. The British government disappeared him, Because he "defected " or did he commit suicide?

What do you say INGO?

A link to a few of the chapters

71JWTmpIQuL._SL1500_.jpg

As a post scrip, I have long know of,the story, I believe the British "got him" and in my world Dr Diesel is among the greats I admire

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    He returned to Germany from London to live with his aunt and go to school. He got tifoid fever and didn't take his finals. He went to work until he could take his finals the following year and got interested in engineering. At some point he came up with the diesel engine.

When he died, he was taking a boat to London. Him and his partners just formed a company. The navy was interested in the diesel engine, so was the German navy. Germany argued they owned the intellectual property because of national security. He said he was selling to the highest bidder. So he got slugged in the head and tossed overboard.

Rockefeller was losing money because of the new light bulb. People weren't buying his oil. But the gas he was throwing away he could now sell for automobiles. It doesn't make sense for Rockefeller to send the Pinkerton detectives there to off him. My money is on the Germans. Besides, he was bragging to everyone he was going to London.

I haven't read the book yet. Looking forward to it.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Word on the street is, he was captured by the Brits. Escaped and was caught by the Germans and before he could be interrogated he was killed by a low ranking German officer who once had been loyal to the Kiser. Killed by accident, again attempting to escape.

Last edited:

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Word on the street is, he was captured by the Brits. Escaped and was caught by the Germans and before he could be interrogated he was killed by a low ranking German officer who once had been loyal to the Kiser. Killed by accident, again attempting to escape.
    I could buy this, but I don't think he was captured or forced into captivity, as Diesel was very friendly with 1st lord of the admiralty Winston Churchill, and seemed to be in cooperation with the Brits.......

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    To keep it from the Germans. Hadn't thought of that.
    To much evidence points me to his cooperation with the Brits ..... the letter to his wife where diesel refers to there love in the past tense, the case full of money to him wife,the hat & perfectly folded coat found on deck, the body was found (in the ocean) 10 days later perfectly dressed & carrying items that Diesel never carried on his person, and then the Vickers company who couldn't get a model to run, suddenly became the second leading Diesel engine company in the world & let us not over look Diesel wife Marta simply disperses from history, I think she joined her beloved and lived out like quietly ....

Top Bottom