• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Just finished watching TOP SHOT and the Mad Minute elimination challenge. And I was thinking lots of us own Milsurp Bolt guns. And wouldn't it be cool to do our own' So Who's Up for our own Mad Minute Challenge? I've done a Vintage Rifle Match and know how challenging loading the old war horses fast of strippers. I wish I had the time to organize it myself but my Accelerated college schedule would prevent me for doing so. Anyone Interested? :ar15:

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Seen the episode, but I've never tried it. Still, I find it surprising that they couldn't hit more than 6 times in 1 minute. Seems almost pathetic for someone considered "good enough to be on Top Shot."

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Seen the episode, but I've never tried it. Still, I find it surprising that they couldn't hit more than 6 times in 1 minute. Seems almost pathetic for someone considered "good enough to be on Top Shot."

Kinda the reason I'd like to see this happen. Do it just like the did just hit the Gong. I'll just bet none of them have ever tried to rapid fire a bolt gun. With the popularity of the AR 15, and M4 platforms this may be becoming a lost art most people who shoot bolt guns for hunting probably only practice a quick follow up shot. Rifle Ammo isn't cheap so not many people try this, but milsurp is still cheap enough to have some fun with an event like this.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I just watched the episode online thanks to this thread!

This looks like a lot of fun! I'm sure i wouldn't win, but i would love to play! I might get some of my buddies to try this!

Also, a 24" target? Yowzah! It was about speed over accuracy!

kevinsr98

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   1
    Feb 12, 2011
    I have on old bolt action .22 long gun, would that count? At least I would be able to afford to run it more than once!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a 1943 SMLE Lee Enfield in .303 British, and I would LOVE to try the "mad-minute" sometime. I found a stock of .303 British when I came across the rifle, so ammo would not be a problem for me.

I would also like to repeat these trials with other firearms. A veritable "shoot-off" between WWI era rifles. I also have a type 99 7.7 Japanese Arisaka, a 91/30 Mosin Nagant, and a T53 (Chinese version of the M44 Nagant) that I think would be interseting to pit against each other.

I'll try this on my own one day, but I think it would be a hoot to try it against other shooters.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Got a post-war Ishapore Enfield in 7.62x51. I'd have to figure out the strippers, but I fire left handed and cycle with my right, so I can rip off ten in about fifteen seconds aimed.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Ive got about 20 rounds of 8 mm mauser someone can use if this happens. Ive long since sold the rifle. Ive not seen the episode & apparently don't recall the history, what is the range / distance?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    What is the distance to the Target?!

The British Army had a a stage in the Enfield Quals that one had to fire 20 rounds in under 2 minutes and score hits at 200 Meters. If my memory is correct...

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    The topshot version was a 24 inch target at 200 yards and as many shots as you can in a minute, for iron sights on a target at 200 yards I think its harder than it looks.

You are correct, on all counts.

24" target at 200 yards, and yes, open or iron sights atv 200 yards is a little tougher than some might think.

Boot camp had us qualifying at 500 meters with open sights, but that was with an M16, NOT a 100+ year old bolt gun.

That was also MANY moons ago, and with better eyesight.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    24" target, 200 yd, iron sights. Passing in the Royal Army was 15 hits in a minute, average was about 25. The record was 38. Both guys on the show failed. Badly. :)

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    24" target, 200 yd, iron sights. Passing in the Royal Army was 15 hits in a minute, average was about 25. The record was 38. Both guys on the show failed. Badly. :)

I'm thinking this could be set up easily and make for an interesting afternoon on the range. It would also be easy to film each attempt.

Who could join in with an appropriate rifle if I could provide the 200yd range and big steel target? Location would be northern Brown County.

2w1sd54.jpg

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    My only bolt gun is a Mosin Nagant 91/30 with a period scope on it. I'll leave the covers on the scope so I don't cheat. I had to just now get it out of the safe to see if I can even use the irons with the scope on it. I should do fine (meaning seeing the irons, not in the contest).

If it ends up happening in the INGO mecca of southern Indiana (Lovemywoods) then carpooling is in order because it looks like a lot of people in this thread are from Indy or even Carmel/Westfield. I'm a member at HCFG but the rifle range is under construction and temporarily only goes out to 100yds. Eventually the 150 and possibly the 200 will open up but when is anyones guess.

Top Bottom