• ...and so much more!
  • ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    OK I guess you don't get it.

It is like you butting in at the bar to tell someone who's on his 2nd beer in an hour that you are drinking 1 per hour and that's more than enough for you and he should stop because it may not be safe for you...

No, it's like I'm at a bar in line to get my drink...I'm not super thirsty, but I am in line and want to get my drink.
    Someone comes up behind me and wants me to get out of the way so they can get their drink. They don't care how long I've waited to get my drink, they are just selfish and want their's and that is all they care about.
    I say they can wait in line like all the rest of us, once I get my drink, I'll move out of the way and then they can get their drink.
    Just because the guy behind me is thirstier, doesn't give him any right to move me out of the way, nor does it make my position in line any less of worth.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Oh, but you're leaving out the part about how you're already in the wrong yourself- going 3-4 over. It would be like you jumping one or two spots in line and then the guy jumping 5 or 6 and ending up in front of you and you saying what you were doing was ok and he still needs to wait behind you.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Back in 02 I had this email Q&A:

8/27/02 9:17 AM
    Can you put me in touch with someone who can answer the following?

On a recent trip along all of I-65 south of Indy, all the way to Alabama, I
    was pleasantly surprised at a couple of points. The first was the tremendous
    percentage of three-lane segments of I-65. It allowed for a much safer, and
    productive traffic flow, in my opinion. Being that we here in Indiana often
    times note the crossroads of America moniker, it got me thinking. Why don't
    we have rural stretches of I-65, 69, 70, and 74 with three lanes? Who decides
    the number of lanes in a particular segment and most importantly in each state?

This also leads into another related area of concern, that being the handling
    of traffic accidents. I've lived in other states and have noted how traffic
    accidents in Indiana are allowed to affect traffic flow very often, particularly
    in Indy. Other cities such as Chicago, and New York often station tow trucks
    in anticipation of wrecks. This is done in the interest of maintaining a productive
    traffic flow.

Similarly, as I traveled down I-65 there are signs instructing one to move accidents
    from roadway, as well as slower traffic keep right. Both of these policies I
    believe add up to safer, more productive roadways. Again I would like to know
    whose policy it is for obstructing lanes of traffic so regularly, and not as
    it seems getting the cars off the road as quickly as possible? Except in the
    case of a tricky extrication of a live accident victim, I can see no benefit
    in this policy. Can someone direct me to a law, ordinance, policy or other that
    directs this behavior?

As our state becomes increasingly populated, and as the same will be the same
    for surrounding states whose citizens must pass through the crossroads of America,
    these issues will continue to grow and affect the daily lives of our citizenry
    and interstate commerce. Our state and its urban areas are far less restricted
    in land and by congestion than other major urban areas and we should have better
    policies in this respect.

Thanks in advance for the information.
    8/27/02 12:13 PM
    In response to your questions, I can offer the following:

- Three lanes on rural interstates: INDOT is moving in this direction. A planning study was completed recently that recommended adding a lane to much of the rural interstate system. Problem is that this is quite expensive. Given financial restrictions, it will be 10-15 years before this will be complete. Engineering has not started on this initiative but should start in the relative near future.

- Handling traffic accidents: INDOT now has freeway service patrol vehicles, called Hoosier Helpers, deployed on the interstates in NW Indiana, Indianapolis, and Clarksville/Jeffersonville. These patrols are on the lookout for crashes or motorists who need assistance. Our job is to get the crash cleaned up as quickly as possible, or help the stranded motorist as quickly as possible to get the road flowing again. They have direct access to the Indiana State Police who then calls out for a wrecker. We are much more responsive in this aspect and it will get better as we get the entire Indy area covered within the next 2-3 years.

- Moving accidents: You are correct that the best policy is to move a non-injury accident to the side of the road. We are looking at implementing a program for putting up signs to tell people to move their cars to the side if they've had an accident. We are also identifying areas to construct crash investigation sites like they have in other states. To our knowledge, there is no statute that mandates cars not be moved until the police show up. Many people have been taught this and we are working to change this way of thinking.

I would invite you to check out our Intelligent Transportation Systems website which will enable you to find out more about what INDOT is doing in these areas. Go to Web Page Under Construction.

I hope I have answered your questions. Thanks for writing.
    =============================
    Mark D. Newland
    ITS Program Director
    Indiana Department of Transportation
    Indiana Government Center North
    Room N925
    Indianapolis, IN 46204
    phone 317-232-5523
    fax 317-232-5551
    email: mnewland@indot.state.in.us
    =============================

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Now your stretching things...Not the same, as the people in the right lane are not in line for a drink and my passing them on the left does not interfere with them whatsoever.

I do not expect anyone in front of me to move out of the way for me to come thru...
    I'll gladly wait my turn, for them to get out of my way before I continue speeding 3-4 miles over the limit. I will not tailgate them, I will patiently wait for the lane to be clear.
    That is all I ask of those that wish to pass me...if you tailgate me, you can expect to be slowed down long enough to realize what you are doing.
    Those with serious needs to speed, like an emergency would be flashing their lights and honking their horn...I'd certainly give way to that anytime that came my way...maybe that is what you impatient drivers might start doing...to get your way
    1923.gif
    :D

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Here it is, plain and simple-

1. You have no business being in the left lane if you are not the fastest traffic out there.
    2. You have no business "showing" anyone that what they are doing is wrong when you your self may be speeding
    3. You have absolutely no business slowing down in the fast/left lane because someone wants to go faster than you.

You think you need to teach the world something don't you? You OC so you can school the sheeple and you drive slowly in the left lane so you can slow other people down and show them the error of their ways.

It seems to me you're looking to combine forces and create a bit of a road rage situation where you can step out of your car while OC'ing to scare some stupid kid...

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy

1. You have no business being in the left lane if you are not the fastest traffic out there. Nice of you to make the rules. So the people doing 70 in a 65 should remain in the right lane and only those going over 80?:scratch: There are all variables of speeding over the limit. When you come up on another car in the right lane, one generally uses the left lane to pass...now you say we shouldn't?

2. You have no business "showing" anyone that what they are doing is wrong when you your self may be speeding First, they have no business tailgating me...I am simply jumping into defensive driving mode when that happens and will make adjustments to my driving as I see fit.
    3. You have absolutely no business slowing down in the fast/left lane because someone wants to go faster than you. You are correct, but I CAN and WILL slow down when someone wants to unsafely tailgate me. It is my responsibility to drive in a safe manner, if someone behind me wants to drive in an unsafe manner, I will make adjustments in my driving to make my situation safer.

You think you need to teach the world something don't you? No You OC so you can school the sheeple and you drive slowly in the left lane so you can slow other people down and show them the error of their ways. Huh? You even said I was speeding in the left lane, now you are saying I drive slow in the left lane...nowhere did I say I drive slower than the speed limit in the left lane...if I'm in the left lane, I'm passing...stop changing the driving situation to meet your arguments.

It seems to me you're looking to combine forces and create a bit of a road rage situation where you can step out of your car while OC'ing to scare some stupid kid...

I rarely OC, and don't see how that has anything to do with this issue.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    My original post wasn't coplaining about a slower driver getting in the left lane to pass an even slower driver as long as you make the pass and get out of the way. It's the drivers who act like that land is theirs only.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    NO, actually it is illegal.

If you hold up traffic by driving slow in the left you are are guilty of failing to yield the right of way to faster cars behind you.

So is passing on the right because your slurpy is about empty.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    So you are a responsible driver by who's standards? You set your cruise for what speed exactly? The limit?

You don't get to decide for others how fast or slow to drive, that is my point.

The rule is to move over for faster traffic, plain and simple.

It's hard to move over when you've got a mile line long of important dipships passing you on the right and bumper to bumper yelling at each other.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

1. You have no business being in the left lane if you are not the fastest traffic out there.

It seems there are many people here with the same misconception. The left lane is NOT FOR THE FASTEST TRAFFIC OUT THERE. The left lane is for "faster traffic" who are passing SLOWER TRAFFIC. Indiana does not have the luxury of traffic lanes for specific speeds such as speed limit lane, 5 over lane, 10 over lane, and what ever else. We have city streets, rural highways, interstates and side walks.

Unfortunately we also have idiots, morons and fools and they are all not only allowed to vote, they are also allowed to drive. They have a difficult time comprehending such complicated rules of order such as the difference between a city street, sidewalk, and interstate highways. Keep right unless passing is far above their pay grade and speed limits are just a suggestion to them.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I just slam on my brakes. The whites of their eyes get really big. :eek: :D

***JosephR...I'm sure that when you saw the... :D ...you realized it was a joke...but I want to clarify that because some hypocrits are so full of themselves...they didn't get it.***

FWIW, I have done this, maintaining my speed and left-foot-tapping the brake to turn on my brake lights, just long enough to make them slow down. Never caused a wreck by it, just gave a polite reminder that tailgating is not appreciated. Just sit there for a second, don't get your panties in a bunch, and when I see you and have a place to do it, I'll slide over and let you by.

Some people get it and others don't... I can't control their actions, but if I DO have to hit my brakes for any reason, I really don't want the doctor to have to pick pieces of some MFers grillwork out of my right asscheek, y'know?

Blessings,
    Bill

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    I understand Bill. You're not playing games with people. Your lighting up your brakes to invoke some thought on their part and not actually slowing down.

To slow down further than you normally like to go is assinine. If one's cruise control is so important that they cannot speed up, then they are a real turd smack for hitting their brakes. Once again, they'll change their speed for their own SILLY reasoning but not to help anyone else out.

Jack Ryan-

Yes, I know the left lane is for passing but usually when you're going faster than anyone, you're also passing them all, right? They kind of go hand in hand when there's a decent amount of traffic. This is how I drive if there is traffic. If the highway is open, I stay a lane or two over.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    I understand Bill. You're not playing games with people. Your lighting up your brakes to invoke some thought on their part and not actually slowing down.

To slow down further than you normally like to go is assinine. If one's cruise control is so important that they cannot speed up, then they are a real turd smack for hitting their brakes. Once again, they'll change their speed for their own SILLY reasoning but not to help anyone else out.
    No, to slow down is a normal reaction to get the tailgater off of your backside. Safety is hardly SILLY. Help Out??? So you are saying that we should speed up for your SILLY reasosning...to help you out, but shouldn't slow down for safety?

Jack Ryan-

Yes, I know the left lane is for passing but usually when you're going faster than anyone, you're also passing them all, right? They kind of go hand in hand when there's a decent amount of traffic. This is how I drive if there is traffic. If the highway is open, I stay a lane or two over.
    :popcorn:

Top Bottom