Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I thought about using the recent Lil nas x "satan" shoes that got people upset and ended with Nike suing the maker, however I didnt imagine many people would know about that.

Educating yourself isn't a cop out. Im clearly not doing a good job representing a war bonnet/ head dress to you. So maybe researching what it means or talking to tribal members would be more helpful.
    Wait. You think the company ripping off nike to put out shoes with human blood is the same thing as sports fanatics dressing up as team mascots?
    :n00b:

Dude, if that’s how you’re thinking of this issue we are just not going to find many areas of agreement here.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That's the latest thing with progressives. They appear to be filled with guilt-ridden self-loathing so they lash out at perceived offenses by people without any such intent. As a result, people that have never been racist (or homophobic or "whatever"-phobic or "-ist" get labeled and have rightfully been getting angry about it, which results in some, (not all) beginning to actually appear to be those things, when nothing could be further from the truth. It serves to keep up the division in this country and stoke the fires of racism, etc.. They have no interest in bringing healing, only division.
    Being offended on other’s behalf is a trendy way to gain cheap virtue.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I thought about using the recent Lil nas x "satan" shoes that got people upset and ended with Nike suing the maker, however I didnt imagine many people would know about that.

Educating yourself isn't a cop out. Im clearly not doing a good job representing a war bonnet/ head dress to you. So maybe researching what it means or talking to tribal members would be more helpful.
    Please bear in mind that there is a burden that comes with your position. Simply put, I am not obligated to give 3/16 of a damn. Unless you can persuade me to change my mind, I am still not obligated to give a damn just because I heard a complaint.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Indistinguishable from a description of science at the leading edge. Why is it so hard to acknowledge that science is just a different, perhaps more rigorous, form of faith

I have no need to attempt to prove faith is superior to science, in fact I judge most
    worldly events preferentially by scientific thought. I just wonder why the proponents of science feel so compelled to prove it is superior to faith

I wouldn't design a aircraft with faith, I wouldn't design how I live my life with science
    You seem to think this is a lot different from the point I made. But anyway...

I didn’t ask you to prove science is superior to faith. I asked you to acknowledge the things I said are true about faith, which might indeed give you a different perspective on the people whose faith leads them to believe differently given the same inputs.

defaultdotxbe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2020
    Griffith
    That's the latest thing with progressives. They appear to be filled with guilt-ridden self-loathing so they lash out at perceived offenses by people without any such intent. As a result, people that have never been racist (or homophobic or "whatever"-phobic or "-ist" get labeled and have rightfully been getting angry about it, which results in some, (not all) beginning to actually appear to be those things, when nothing could be further from the truth. It serves to keep up the division in this country and stoke the fires of racism, etc.. They have no interest in bringing healing, only division.
    Its also a matter of how survey questions are phrased. I'm sure if I asked "Is the Washington Redskins name offensive?" I'd get fewer yes answers than if I asked "Is it offensive for the NFL to use a racial slur in the name Washington Redskins?" as well just people's tendency to tell other people what they want to hear, so as it got more press people assume others want to be told how its offensive

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    No, arguing that I must not understand both sides of the issue is the copout. Do you think that a person who understands it can’t possibly come to a different conclusion than you do? Is that why you think I must not understand?
    There's absolutely two sides to everything. I have tried multiple ways to explain my thoughts. It's obviously not getting through why I think this way. Instead of me wasting my time, if you care so much about wearing a head dress at a cleveland indians game (something id bet none of you have or ever will do) you can research why they are important in tribal communities and how each feather has individual meaning , and that not even everyone in a tribe can wear one.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    There's absolutely two sides to everything. I have tried multiple ways to explain my thoughts. It's obviously not getting through why I think this way. Instead of me wasting my time, if you care so much about wearing a head dress at a cleveland indians game (something id bet none of you have or ever will do) you can research why they are important in tribal communities and how each feather has individual meaning , and that not even everyone in a tribe can wear one.
    But do you understand that fans wearing one are not trying to convince anyone that they're a chief or even a warrior, right? They're just supporting their team as they have done for decades. That's why the "stolen valor" angle breaks down. Why is it only recently offensive? What has changed? Just like so many other things, like Confederate statues that have stood for decades and have been just fine, it's suddenly become fashionable to find them offensive. That's why so many people are calling BS on this stuff.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yet here you are wasting our time.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Yet here you are wasting our time.
    Go through this thread. I didnt start a conversation with you. You continue to get involved in my replies to others. Yesterday at 9:45 pm est you quoted me. You chose that path. Then at 5:36 pm today you engaged with me again. I never sought you out. Once again you are quoting my comment to another.

You are wasting your time by choice.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Go through this thread. I didnt start a conversation with you. You continue to get involved in my replies to others. Yesterday at 9:45 pm est you quoted me. You chose that path. Then at 5:36 pm today you engaged with me again. I never sought you out. Once again you are quoting my comment to another.

You are wasting your time by choice.
    You just get more and more sanctimonious. If you were intent on a private conversation, the software offers a way to do that. Educate yourself.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    You just get more and more sanctimonious. If you were intent on a private conversation, the software offers a way to do that. Educate yourself.
    Am I wrong? Show me where I brought you into the conversation and asked for you to spend your time on me.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You have explained your thoughts. I am pretty sure I understand why some Native Americans find that offensive. I’ve told you that it’s not something I do myself. I kinda think wearing team mascot garb is silly, personally. It’s that I respect other people’s right to do it even if I did find it offensive myself, which I don’t in this case. They’re not doing it to be offensive. I think the people who are offended by it should consider not going to games if they are offended by it. Not all Native Americans find it offensive.

I don’t disagree with you because you haven’t made your point clear enough. I disagree with you because I think people are generally as responsible for their own offense taken as the people they think are giving it. That’s just my outlook on it. Now you know MY side of it. I don’t expect you to conclude the same, but I do expect you to accept that I can disagree with you without that meaning that I must not understand your side of it, and that it doesn’t make you any more moral than me.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom