• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Pawpaws spread by roots, so a group close together is likely to be clones, and they will not "self-pollinate." Best results is if they are next to or intermixed with another pawpaw group.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I have access to a property with plenty of them. Have to check a few times a week to get the timing right. Custard consistency. Taste great, but they give me really bad gas.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Sorta strawberry-banana-ish

odd. They're quite well established at least to Iowa. There's even a town in north central IL named Pawpaw.

i have HUNDREDS, if not Thousands of PawPaw trees in my woods in Bedford. Just a word if warning, you CAN eat too many Pawpaws. One year my neighbor ate too many, and she has never eaten them since

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    i have HUNDREDS, if not Thousands of PawPaw trees in my woods in Bedford. Just a word if warning, you CAN eat too many Pawpaws. One year my neighbor ate too many, and she has never eaten them since

Critters got every thing again this year. One year a while back there were a lot of them, made 5 gallons of wine.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Texture keeps me from eating the foul pawpaw. But persimmon pudding is awesome. My Great Aunt Ann grew up in Mitchell. Maiden name, Sanders, and she made good persimmon pudding as did my Grandmother. They were different but both delicious.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I never really understood why persimmon pudding was called "pudding". It's more like persimmon brownies (and is delicious).

I've always thought the "pudding" name comes from the more pudding like consistency of the sugary icing on the top. Persimmon pudding sounds better than persimmon brownies but either way they are indeed delicious. My Mom makes persimmon rolls(like a pumpkin roll but with persimmon) and they are also very good.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've always thought the "pudding" name comes from the more pudding like consistency of the sugary icing on the top. Persimmon pudding sounds better than persimmon brownies but either way they are indeed delicious. My Mom makes persimmon rolls(like a pumpkin roll but with persimmon) and they are also very good.

Oh, I've never had it with the icing. We just always put whipped cream on it. That does sound good though! Maybe the pudding thing goes back to the British. Their "figgy pudding" is more cake-like than pudding too.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Oh, I've never had it with the icing. We just always put whipped cream on it. That does sound good though! Maybe the pudding thing goes back to the British. Their "figgy pudding" is more cake-like than pudding too.

If you've never had persimmon pudding with the icing, you've never really had persimmon pudding!:D Whipped cream is not a substitute. The Brits are pretty bad about the less than accurate naming of food items so I'm fine with blaming them.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I planted 3 Pawpaw trees down by my pond, all different varieties. Looking forward to my first crop in a year or so. The critters will be a challenge as they always are with anything worth eating.

Top Bottom