The implications of Christ's Command to Love Your Neighbor, in the world today.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Start by standing through the entire service.
    200w.gif

I'll stand, when y'all start dunking adults. :):

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I've been listening to the Holy Post podcast a lot (can't get enough "news of the butt" :): ), and one episode they they were discussing how our churches have become really comfortable for us, and maybe we need to let go of some of that so that it's comfortable for others.

(I highly recommend that podcast.)
    My pastor is constantly saying that his focus is on building a church for the non-members. Most of the sermons and teachings are actually structured to give the congregation the tools to reach people who aren't in the room, similar to what Jesus did when he called to Levi.

Jesus Calls Levi (Matthew)​

27 Later, as Jesus left the town, he saw a tax collector named Levi sitting at his tax collector’s booth. “Follow me and be my disciple,” Jesus said to him. 28 So Levi got up, left everything, and followed him.

29 Later, Levi held a banquet in his home with Jesus as the guest of honor. Many of Levi’s fellow tax collectors and other guests also ate with them. 30 But the Pharisees and their teachers of religious law complained bitterly to Jesus’ disciples, “Why do you eat and drink with such scum?[a]”

31 Jesus answered them, “Healthy people don’t need a doctor—sick people do. 32 I have come to call not those who think they are righteous, but those who know they are sinners and need to repent.” - Luke 5:27-32
    Our church is designed to be a place where people feel welcome first, even if they are far from God. If the feel welcome they can build a relationship with Him without stigma and judgement, which will eventually give way to transformation and a desire to worship and perform good works.

13 For you have been called to live in freedom, my brothers and sisters. But don’t use your freedom to satisfy your sinful nature. Instead, use your freedom to serve one another in love. 14 For the whole law can be summed up in this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”[a] 15 But if you are always biting and devouring one another, watch out! Beware of destroying one another.

Living by the Spirit’s Power​

16 So I say, let the Holy Spirit guide your lives. Then you won’t be doing what your sinful nature craves. - Galatians 5:13-16

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    A church should be welcoming and safe, but in some cases it goes to far.

I was in a church that became "seeker friendly" and had huge growth numbers.But all the sermons were watered down and ended with a fake altar call. If you came to the pastor, or an elder during the week and accepted salvation, you were made to "spontaneously" come to the altar during the service; and to the congregation it appeared as if you were just led by the Holy Spirit. Same thing for baptisms.

Since I was the sound guy, I had my ear on the pastor's mic during these times. Holy Spirit? More like Holy Bull****.

We left, then the pastor left.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Regarding the OP,

I studied and then taught the "Good Samaritan" parable a few weeks ago. I was struck that this passage begins with a question (from a lawyer): "What must I do to inherit eternal life?" Jesus answers:

"'What is written in the Law? How do you read it?' And he answered, 'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.' And he said to him, 'You have answered correctly; do this, and you will live.'"

The lawyer, doing what lawyers do then asks: "Well, who is my neighbor?"

Jesus then tells this parable that essentially explains that what God demands is that for us to help every single person who you can help. That's all.

It's like what it says in Matthew 5:48: "You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect."

Who can help everyone they encounter who has a need? Who can be perfect?

The question was: "What must I do to inherit eternal life?"

The answer: "your best isn't even close to good enough."

But thank God for what we remember this Friday and Sunday. My best could never pay the debt, but I know Someone who can.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Dang. Some of y'all have some funky churches. The one I attended as a kid went something like this:
    1) Go in, say hi to some folks, take a seat.
    2) Listen to the choir and sing along with some hymns.
    3) Listen to the sermon.
    4) Pass the offering plate, maybe sing another hymn.
    5) Choir goes out, benediction is given.
    6) Leave the sanctuary and go get in the car and wait until Mom got done talking to all her friends.

There was none of this leading people to anything, or witnessing or "sound guys" or any of that stuff. :dunno: As far as I know, that's still basically how they're doing it.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    1 Peter 4:17 speaks to the results of that.
    And so does Hieronymous Bosch. :)

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Dang. Some of y'all have some funky churches. The one I attended as a kid went something like this:
    1) Go in, say hi to some folks, take a seat.
    2) Listen to the choir and sing along with some hymns.
    3) Listen to the sermon.
    4) Pass the offering plate, maybe sing another hymn.
    5) Choir goes out, benediction is given.
    6) Leave the sanctuary and go get in the car and wait until Mom got done talking to all her friends.

There was none of this leading people to anything, or witnessing or "sound guys" or any of that stuff. :dunno: As far as I know, that's still basically how they're doing it.
    That’s exactly how I knew church, until I was big enough that my mom got tired of dragging me there.
    Then I got “invited” (I think it’s called dating evangelism) to a whole different deal, that was very much alive, active, and a part of daily life, not just a ‘Sunday supposed to’. Been going with that girl to church for 30+ years now.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Start by standing through the entire service.
    Actually I do, as one sound guy in a very overcrowded booth, since we bring live video now with people staying home.
    It helps that we’re all somewhere between don’t care and anti on the mask thing.

Yes, I went there.

So my sacrifices get me a bigger crown, right? Along with my great humble attitude?

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Ok Jesus is coming back gonna fight for seven years. He is gonna do some of the killing himself. But he is gonna bring the best Christian warriors from the past 2000 years. It’s all in the Bible!

You all need too listen to me and Pay me!

Merle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2021
    Monroe County Indiana
    To paraphrase Dr. R. C. Sproul in his expository commentary on Luke: "All men and women are my neighbors, which means, as we see in the Great Commandment, that I have to love everyone. In biblical terms, love is more a verb than a noun. I don't have to like everybody, but I need to love them. To love everyone means to be loving (respectful, considerate, civilized) to them, to do what love demands for everyone you come across, whether you like him or not." Acts of violence or war are exceptions.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom