• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    So has anyone actually seen any of the source data that the VPC references, ever, in real life? I can never seem to find the "reports" that they claim that they get their data from.

Oh and Bill, your arguement in the comments will never work, there is too much logic and truth in it.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    So has anyone actually seen any of the source data that the VPC references, ever, in real life? I can never seem to find the "reports" that they claim that they get their data from.

Oh and Bill, your arguement in the comments will never work, there is too much logic and truth in it.

Yep, and these are the type of people who classify "children" up to age 21 so they can make claims of all the children being killed by guns.

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    Lets take a look at some of the states they use as examples.

Alaska - I'm betting low traffic density contributes to not a lot of automobile deaths.
    Arizona - Border state w/Mexico. Drug-traffic related crime?
    Indiana - What happens if you take Gary out of the gun death & traffic statistics? Outlier
    Michigan - What happens if you take Detroit out of the gun death & traffic statistics? Again, I'm betting it's an outlier.
    Nevada - Much like Alaska, everybody's got guns, but outside of Vegas I'm betting low traffic density
    Utah - Low traffic density.
    Virginia - Availability of public transportation probably skews the numbers.
    Washington - Lots of gang activity in two major population centers (what happens if we take Tacoma out?), plus, higher than average suicide rate.

Drives me nuts when people try to shock with stuff like that. Cars are getting safer every day - automakers have a responsibility to make it safer to ride in a vehicle. A gun is a tool designed for a specific purpose - to put holes in things, whether it's an animal, a person, a piece of paper, or whatever. You want a meaningful statistic? How about number of accidents & deaths per 100,000 in an automobile vs. number of accidents & deaths per 100,000 by firearm. I think you will see with that statistic that an automobile is much more dangerous than a firearm.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I wonder how many of the gun related deaths were police, self defense, or self inflicted (suicide)? Throw those out and the number won't even be close.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    The latest data from CDC is for 2008:

Unintentional/accidental deaths for 2008 (latest data available from CDC)

Motor vehicles 39,780
    Poisoning 31,116
    Falls 24,013
    Suffocation 6,125
    Drowning 3,548
    Smoke, fire, flame 2,912
    Struck by or against 891
    Firearms 592
    Cut/pierce 87

Deaths attributed to cigarette smoking 443,000
    Deaths from lung cancer 158,683

Then, from the FBI:
    United States’ Homicides:

Total Homicides for the year/ Total from Firearms/ Total from Handguns
    2006 15,087/ 10,225/ 7,836
    2007 14,916/ 10,120/ 7,398
    2008 14,224/ 9,528/ 6,800
    2009 13,762/ 9,199/ 6,501
    2010 12,996/ 8,775/ 6,009

As I understand it, medical examiners classify shooting deaths as either accidental or homicide. I do not know of another classification, except, possibly, suicide. Therefore, for 2008, total firearm deaths appear to be 592 (CDC) plus 9,528 (FBI) = 10,120, just a teensy bit short of 31,236, and I doubt suicides make up the difference; besides, someone bent on killilng himself will do so, with or without a firearm.

Conclusion: I find VPC's claims without merit.

Last edited:

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    Yet another problem with today's "media." Nothing is vetted. Say anything you want.

There have already been more people killed in vehicular accidents this year in Indiana than will be killed by being shot in all of 2012.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I've read before that they include suicides, and police shootings, which skews the whole thing. Suicides are not "violent crime". If someone wanted to commit suicide, they could take a bunch of Tylenol if they didn't have a gun--of course, then they would add this to their "criminal drug user" statistics. Anyways, I think by far most gun shootings are suicides, but they want everyone to think they are licensed gun users shooting small children. In Japan guns are tightly restricted, and they commit suicide with kitchen cleaners on a massive scale.

And, oh yea, they include legitimate shooting of criminals in their statistics too!

marshallartist

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Brownsburg
    implied-facepalm-implied-facepalm-demotivational-poster-1259858393.jpg

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Does this mean car deaths are down? the headline is misleading as usual with the media

Yes, car deaths are trending down and have been for many years, but so have firearm deaths and homicides. However, CDC data on "poisoning" deaths have been trending up for a number of years. In fact, if the CDC data trends have continued since 2008, poisoning will have become first place, ahead of car deaths. Won't know, for sure until a couple more years of CDC unintentional deaths data.

nemo97

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Just a thought about declining vehicular deaths... maybe they are down because people are driving less as fuel prices remain high.

Oh, and how does this "statistic" deal with the fact that gun sales and ownership have gone up over the past three years or so?

Last edited:

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Just a thought about declining vehicular deaths... maybe they are down because people are driving less as fuel prices remain high.

Oh, and how does this "statistic" deal with the fact that gun sales and ownership have gone up over the past three years or so?
    I agree, the number of guns, and NEW gun owners, have "GONE thru the roof" in the past 3 years ..... and people are KEEPING their cars LONGER .....

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Why compare apples to oranges?

Lets compare how many more bad guys were killed by gun owners than bad guys killed by vehicle owners.

Guns were designed to kill things? I don't get what this is supposed to prove. I'd be more alarmed if NO ONE was being killed by guns. I'd actually have to question on whether or not I was spending my money in the right place.

:dunno:

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    These stats were a real eye opener for me:
    Doctors
    (A) The number of physicians in the U.S. is 700,000.
    (B) Accidental deaths caused by Physicians per year are 120,000..
    (C) Accidental deaths per physician is 0.171 (17%).
    Statistics courtesy of U.S. Dept of Health and Human Services.

Now think about this:
    Guns
    (A) The number of gun owners in the U.S. is 80,000,000. (Yes, that's 80 million !)
    (B) The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is 1,500.
    (C) The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is .0000188 (.00188%)
    Statistics courtesy of the F.B.I.
    So, statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.
    Remember, 'Guns don't kill people, doctors do.'
    FACT: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN, BUT ALMOST EVERYONE HAS AT LEAST ONE DOCTOR.
    Please alert your friends to this alarming threat. We must ban doctors before this gets completely out of hand!!!!!

P.S. - Out of concern for the public at large, I have withheld the statistics on lawyers for fear the shock would cause people to panic and seek medical attention.
    (source: Bioethics Discussion Blog: Doctors "Should Do No Harm" but How About Carrying a Gun?)

Top Bottom