• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Thank you. I miraculously (in retrospect) fell into this property 40 years ago as a rental. Had the opportunity to purchase it many years later and have been slowly developing it's potential (according to me) ever since. Hopefully your opportunity will avail itself soon!
    I was looking at several properties before the recent housing bubble/boom. Then prices went up 300% and what was available wasn't really worth the asking price IMHO.

As the kiddo's are in school for for the next ~10 years I'll probably stay in the area I'm in now. I doubt I'll find anything that meets my goals within range of the current school district.

I make the trip down to Atterbury from time to time but it would be so nice to go somewhere that lets me fire faster than once per second and lets me practice firing from the draw.

Lodge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2016
    Johnson Co.
    I was looking at several properties before the recent housing bubble/boom. Then prices went up 300% and what was available wasn't really worth the asking price IMHO.

As the kiddo's are in school for for the next ~10 years I'll probably stay in the area I'm in now. I doubt I'll find anything that meets my goals within range of the current school district.

I make the trip down to Atterbury from time to time but it would be so nice to go somewhere that lets me fire faster than once per second and lets me practice firing from the draw.
    The Atterbury range is nice. Understandably with lots of rules. I always thought Atterbury was obnoxiously loud with all the concrete baffles and so many shooters present. The Crosley range in N. Vernon is a cool place to shoot. Less oversight, more leniency. Crosley has earthen berms along the sides of the lanes and fewer shooters, especially through the week. Also, Crosley also has a 200 yd. lane- if you need to stretch out a bit. It is a drive though- 45 min. South of Atterbury.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    The Atterbury range is nice. Understandably with lots of rules. I always thought Atterbury was obnoxiously loud with all the concrete baffles and so many shooters present. The Crosley range in N. Vernon is a cool place to shoot. Less oversight, more leniency. Crosley has earthen berms along the sides of the lanes and fewer shooters, especially through the week. Also, Crosley also has a 200 yd. lane- if you need to stretch out a bit. It is a drive though- 45 min. South of Atterbury.
    I really want somewhere that I can fire my suppressed firearms without earpro, if I wish, and I can't do that at a public range no matter what.

Beyond that - shooting from the draw can happen at some ranges, with permission, on a limited basis.

So I mostly have done dry fire on the draw. Not quite the same but at least getting the muscle memory built.

L C H

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 8, 2022
    Bedford
    I've been thinking about doing something similar in my backyard. Any idea how long the log backdrops hold up to HPR rounds?

I currently just shoot down into my holler. It would be nice to have a good backdrop from my deck.

Lodge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2016
    Johnson Co.
    I've been thinking about doing something similar in my backyard. Any idea how long the log backdrops hold up to HPR rounds?

I currently just shoot down into my holler. It would be nice to have a good backdrop from my deck.
    If you use logs that are manageable (read: no machinery to help move & stack) the rounds can blaze right through a single log. I would build it numerous logs thick- 4+ at least. At Least. I shot a 44 mag Henry and it went right through the backstop on a couple rounds from close range. The logs are dead ash. Maybe there was a soft section of the logs. Nonetheless, using HPR rounds I'd certainly over-engineer the stop. If I'm shooting targets from the bench I'd feel safer. The bench elevation is 10' higher than the backstop at 50 yards so if the rounds penetrated they'd end up in the ground immediately behind the backstop.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster

Key is dirt behind the log backstops. Once the logs decay....your left with relative straight vertical backstops..... A little dirt goes along way in stopping bullets. Simple sandbags offer incredible protection. A clay mix will harden with time.

Lodge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2016
    Johnson Co.
    Key is dirt behind the log backstops. Once the logs decay....your left with relative straight vertical backstops..... A little dirt goes along way in stopping bullets. Simple sandbags offer incredible protection. A clay mix will harden with time.
    Absolutely the best alternative. Use dirt if at all possible.

Top Bottom