• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    One of the worst criminally motivated schemes I abhor and is almost neck and neck with an act of terrorism is the home invasion.

When you've had a bad day, when you're sick, when you're celebrating your children's birthdays, you're usually doing it in the safe confines of your own home. When you no longer feel safe in your own residence, it can affect you for the rest of you and your children's lives.

This thread is to be a collaboration of tips and ideas in preparation for maintaining security in your dwelling you call home and watching out for signs that you are being "sniffed" for a break-in.

Back in 2008, I moved into my neighborhood. We had just moved in when we went to the store for half an hour to come back to a kicked in door and our LCD TV taken. The thieves literally ripped the TV from all the A/V cables and power plug that made the TV stand fall on it's face. They knew what they wanted and when to hit. They had watched us come and go waiting for just the right opportunity. Knowing we had just moved in, the odds of having a security system in place was nil.

Just about within the same week, I was home alone with the curtains down. I heard someone pull up in my driveway. Then someone started pounding on the side door. I peeked out from behind the curtain to see a white van with a B/M staring back at me from the passenger side of the van. I heard the passenger do a little 'whoop' sound, and the van took off as I went to the kitchen to grab the only weapon I had in the house at the time, a knife. Luckily, nothing came of that and unfortunately I had no details to provide for a police report.

I've heard about schemes happen where a woman will knock on the door to ask a question, ask to borrow the phone or whatever while the rest of the crew holds back to gather info from the woman. This has happened to me before, minus the break-in so far. I've been asked continually to use my cell phone at night by a previous neighbor. I had to cut them off after they wore out my courteous nature. Recently, a woman knocked on our door that my GF answered. She had opened the door to this stranger that was asking for money before I could say anything about it, so I stayed back out of sight with my hand at my side ready to draw. She left the door open to come back to me to ask if I had any money to give to her. Her mistakes were just blaring in my mind of people who are so trusting and of the mindset that it'll never happen to them. Unfortunately what I call vigilance, she calls paranoia (she's a doctor in Psychology) so it's an ongoing battle to protect my family in a transparent manner.

I'm grateful for the fact that Indiana has the Castle Doctrine and arming myself for the protection of my family was a no brainer.

Your situation may be different, but let's hear some of your tips in regards to maintaining situational awareness in the prevention of a home invasion.

Dolton916

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    Porter County
    Where do you live so I don't ever move there? :):

My father was a participant in a home invasion, at least until he shot the man who shoved his way in, I think as you said vigilance is the only way to be prepared.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I know this sounds simplistic when I say it, but I have never had a Robbery (in a dwelling) or a Burglary when the outside lights are on.

Above all: Turn on your outside lights!!!

Get a porch light, put a light bulb in it. Get a sign post with a light, put a light bulb in it. Turn them on when it gets dark, maybe a timer is a good idea for you too.

Got doors in the back, maybe motion detectors.

Keep stuff up tight and out of sight (put your stuff up). The good burglars scout.

Almost single Burglary has photos of a Cheetoes and Mountain Dew-infested war zone in the living room. Don't keep a house that expects to see the cops a lot (a crap hole). Keep a proper house, swept, clean, throw away trash, etc.

Get to know your neighbors. Interlocking field of fire and view.

I know this may seem rude to some INGOers as they were raised properly, but there is nothing wrong with yelling through doors to see who is there. Don't fling open your doors. Yell "who is it?" I use a British accent which drives the ladies wild but confuses the bad guys.

Steel doors, Medeco dead bolts. If you have a door that is far away from the bedroom, maybe consider a security bar.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Dogs, for one, can be a HUGE detriment.

I have three. They are really friendly to those they know. Not so much toward strangers.

When I first moved into my house I went and introduced myself to all of my immediate neighbors. I informed them that I was in the home improvement business and that I would be happy to give them advice and/or help, as I handed them a business card.
    It never hurts to ingratiate yourself to your new neighbors.

That also gave me the opportunity to scrutinize my new neighbors.
    I had the chance to see if there seemed to be any obvious screwballs nearby. None noted.

I learned where the "low-life" house on the block was by ****-chatting with the obvious busy-body across the street.

I learned I was moving in next to a day-care. WOO-HOO! Talk about eyes to keep a watch on things while I'm gone at work! I shovel her walk the first few good snows we got, early in the morning so that all the mothers dropping off the munchkins didn't have to wade through deep stuff.

Shortly aftyer I moved in, the family across the street moved out, and a new family moved in. A hispanic family that is VERY family oriented. They have family gatherings across the street at least 3 times a month.
    I was cleaning out my freezer one day, making room for the deer I had just picked up from the road-kill list. The family next door was having a cook-out.
    I took them about 15 pounds of ground venison, and 20 pounds of roasts. It was from the last season's deer, and I now had more venison than freezer, sooo.

Anyway, my house is surrounded by people that appreciate my neighborliness.

This, combined with the 3 sets of jaws inside, and then the safe(s), I don't really worry that much.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    My street has one street light, thankfully right across from my house. There are a handful of houses that actually keep their porch lights on. I wonder about this often...are they that broke that they can't keep a light on, or is there something else I'm missing.

My porch light and side door light are VERY bright and I check that they haven't been unscrewed every so often.

If you get a knock at your door and you notice your porch light is suddenly out, good hint to not open the door.

Also I bought a motion detection flood light that lights up when a car pulls up or someone walks near my gate or car port.

uberpeck

Marksman
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Mar 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Keep your gun, but more importantly, keep your mind. I was living in Lafayette on 7th Street a few years ago when an intruder climbed through a first floor window around 4am. He walked mere feet from where my sister was sleeping on the couch; thankfully, she was awoke by his crashing around, and did not scream or alert him to her presence. She made her was out of the room and up the back stairs of the home and got me up from my second story bed. My roomate and I grabbed pistols and confronted the man who was still downstairs. Cool heads prevailed and no one was hurt because the mere presence of a firearm saved us from altercation. Good luck.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I installed one of these Home Door Security | Door Devil™ on each of my entry doors. A rep from the company had been setting up at the 1500, that is where I bought mine for $60 per kit.
    Well worth the money, and easy to install, I do have somewhat of a mechanical background, but you really don't need one. The instructions are well written and easy to follow.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    Do not put on Facebook your plans for leaving on vacations, night out with family or any other reasons your not going to be home for the night! It's like advertising free stuff.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I must be extremely lucky, or doing everything right..... I do not leave outside lights on EVER... I do on occassion, leave an inside light, or TV, on ..... I have a dog, and carry, I have yet, to be burglarized, or have a confrontation at the front door .....

I usually carry, outside, so people KNOW, that I carry !!!!!

IMPD31323

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    indy
    One of the simplest upgrades that pays dividends when some one tries to enter your house are screws. More specifically deck screws. 99.9% of lock plates that screw into the door jamb are 1 inch little useless piece of cr@p screws that only penetrate the exterior facia board of the door jamb. It takes surprisingly little force to kick open the majority of doors. replace those tiny little screws with 4 inch decking screws that will sink all the way into the 2x4 of the door jamb and Wa Laa. no more kicked doors. The door itself will fail before the lock plate does, which brings me to my next point of a STEEL security door.......

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    One of the simplest upgrades that pays dividends when some one tries to enter your house are screws. More specifically deck screws. 99.9% of lock plates that screw into the door jamb are 1 inch little useless piece of cr@p screws that only penetrate the exterior facia board of the door jamb. It takes surprisingly little force to kick open the majority of doors. replace those tiny little screws with 4 inch decking screws that will sink all the way into the 2x4 of the door jamb and Wa Laa. no more kicked doors. The door itself will fail before the lock plate does, which brings me to my next point of a STEEL security door.......

This too. ^^^^^^ get into the framing of the wall and the door gets a whole lot harder to break down.

Makes it harder for those pesky no knock warrants too :laugh:

RugerRog

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Indy
    Great thread. With all of the number of home break-ins the local news has been airing has concerned me, and I feel vulnerable. What do you guys recommend for securing an entry door with 2 side lights and a patio door. Would that door devil work? I can not screw it into a 2x4 since they are a foot away. I was looking at the buddy bar. Do those work? I know if someone wants in they will get in. My thought was to hold them off long enough to wake me up so I can grab my gun while asleep.

nebulous

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2013
    Indianapolis
    A good sturdy storm door will slow these criminals down and make a whole lot of racket to get through. It may give you more time to get your weapon and call 911. Even better, the criminals may choose someone else's house that does not have a storm door.

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    I live with no neighbors in a commercial zone. Street light in front yard, motion detector lights high on the eves on all four sides. Oh , and four dogs that like to raise a ruckus when strangers approach. Anyone pulls in the drive rarely exits the vehicle until the hounds are put away. They would probably pee themselves if anyone came toward them, but they'll still be barking and sounding fierce.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I believe we were cased a week ago. 2 teens knocked on the door, my golden retriever gave em one hell of a snarl through the door. By the time I got out of the bathroom they were up the street. I went out to see who it was (in case it was my sister) and they were walking down the middle of an adjacent street.

The dogs got a couple cookies :)

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The invasion that happened two weeks ago on the south side was at the end of my street on Redland Way. You really don't think about it till it happens so close to home. We have since gotten an alarm and I am in the process of getting my wife more familiar with firearms.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    Do not put on Facebook your plans for leaving on vacations, night out with family or any other reasons your not going to be home for the night! It's like advertising free stuff.

^^^^^^^^THIS. My mom works at a prosecutors office and this is confessed many times as to how they chose the house! Not counting the ones who don't admit. Also making sure other people don't give away info on you, by tagging and other such FB nonsense.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Don't let people in to your house if they haven't been fully vetted. Don't let friends who have keys to your house let people in without your permission. Every home burglary incident that has happened to friends or family has been from friends of friends who were invited in. My dad's truck was stolen when my step-brother's friends told their friends. And my dad's guns were stolen when the friends of the (ex)husband of the girl my step-mom was letting live there for a short while broke in when everybody was gone.

I've only had three occasions that I can recall might have been more than they appeared to be. One I am quite sure was motivated by nefarious intent. The other two were could have been completely random, or could have been something more.

The one where I know they were intending something more was at my ghetto rental. I was there with Mr88GT for a showing. Before the appointment showed up, 3 yutes called out to Mr88GT who was on the porch to see if they could see the unit. Normally, we say sure to these kinds of things. Something must have clued him in, spidey sense or tingly tail or something, but he said that they would need to make an appointment. They advanced up the sidewalk to the porch and said, "It's no problem, we'll just be quick about it." Again, he denied their request. By now, he's standing on the threshold of the front door and the closest one is almost to the top porch step. They try one more time to come in. By now Mr88GT has started the process of preparing to defend against their forced entry. I'm inside, firearm already drawn (I've been watching the whole thing play out). They must have recognized what the movement of his hand to his hip meant because they backed off immediately and nearly fell over themselves in their efforts to apologize. Their whole demeanor changed. They went from king-of-the-rock swaggering tough guys to polite, almost meek, little boys.

The other two times were knocks on the door super late (one at 11:30 and one at 1am). Both times the individual was asking for someone who didn't live there. The second one we were prepared for with firearms. But the first one makes me laugh to think about it because we had just talked about the late-night knock looking for a non-existent person as a means to gain entry. So when he answered the door and the person asked for someone we didn't know, I was tearing through the house to get to the firearm in the bedroom (this was years ago and early on in our journey of defense and preparedness), and I nearly broke my neck leaping over the cat. It's funny now, but back then I remember thinking "I hope I don't have to use this thing." The second one was weird because the guy had come to our back door which means he had to come into the fenced area of our yard. We think he just might have been drunk and lost. Incidentally, outside lights were on for both events.

And ya gots to use them. My tenants are collectively dumb. They have deadbolts (in some cases, more than one) and a security door, and I'll enter the residence for maintenance or a repair and find out that the only lock engaged is the damn door knob lock. :rolleyes: I just politely remind them that I have noted their pathetic efforts to secure the premises and if there is breach by a criminal any damage is on them.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Great thread. With all of the number of home break-ins the local news has been airing has concerned me, and I feel vulnerable. What do you guys recommend for securing an entry door with 2 side lights and a patio door. Would that door devil work? I can not screw it into a 2x4 since they are a foot away. I was looking at the buddy bar. Do those work? I know if someone wants in they will get in. My thought was to hold them off long enough to wake me up so I can grab my gun while asleep.

I don't know, but I am always amazed that criminals are still creatures of habit by and large. Several years ago, I had a listing in an older part of Indy, a large 4-square style home with windows only about 18" off of ground (well, porch) level. Twice the door was kicked in. One of those times, the steel casing of the door had been physically man-handled out of the way so the crow-bar could rip apart the wood framing. And yet, there were 4 windows that would have shattered with one good swift kick and low enough for someone to step through. Doors are easier to replace though, so I was thankful.

Top Bottom