• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Just clicking through Youtube vids and the suggestion list started showing up "the glock smile" and "glock reloaders beware".

Basically, the gist is that the Glock is a fighting pistol designed for new brass only. The chambers are intentionally oversized to improve reliability. I've been reloading for my 19 for a little while now and never noticed anything like this.

What say you INGO?

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Just clicking through Youtube vids and the suggestion list started showing up "the glock smile" and "glock reloaders beware".

Basically, the gist is that the Glock is a fighting pistol designed for new brass only. The chambers are intentionally oversized to improve reliability. I've been reloading for my 19 for a little while now and never noticed anything like this.

What say you INGO?

So only tighter spec chambers are ok for reloads?? The haters are funny. I'm sure they are all engineers, too.

Any Glock owners out there who are worried about this can send their reloads or reman ammo to me and I'll dispose of it for them properly.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    If your dies are set up properly, the reloads will be the same size as "new" brass. I see this as the solution to a problem that dosen't exist.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Not exactly. It's that the brass is bulged and dangerous for reloading. I've got some once (maybe twice) fired brass that's clean but not yet resized. Maybe I'll mic it and see if said bulge exists.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The unsupported chamber is a real thing.

Mostly in .40 factory barrels that is I've seen.

But if you're that attached to the church of glawk just ignore it, as people that don't want to be told the truth, won't listen to the truth.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I don't recall any of the vids being caliber specific, but they were all long winded and poorly produced. I'm not real worried about it. I've already got a different barrel on order from SilencerCo.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    The 40S&W out of the glock does bulge sometimes. I run all my 40 brass through a Redding RX die that takes the bulge out and have not had any issues. Lee also makes a die to take out the bulge. While the condition does exist I have run a lot of reloaded ammo through my Glocks and none have had any issues.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I was at the range last summer, picking up the brass from the guy next to me who was shooting a glock .40 and it was noticeably bulged.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    I have had bulged brass and I reload and shoot just fine. I'm also not running max loads either. I was told a week or so ago in a group on Facebook that I was an idiot and didn't know what I was talking about. A guy asked about reloads and lead in glocks. I said the thing about not fully supported chambers and I run hard cast and never had issues. Some guy came on telling me that un supported chambers don't exist. Their is no such thing etc. Needless to say I mentioned a few other firearms that are the same and provided evidence and I'm still the uninformed idiot apparently.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    So only tighter spec chambers are ok for reloads?? The haters are funny. I'm sure they are all engineers, too.

Any Glock owners out there who are worried about this can send their reloads or reman ammo to me and I'll dispose of it for them properly.
    Sorry, I've shot all mine up without issue otherwise I would ship it to you. :) a ton of that internet engineering expertise floating around out there. IMHO that's what killed the "C" model Glocks. If youtube were only the real world wouldn't we all me so much more educated and better off.

[FONT=&amp]
    From my Army days:

Beginner: learns the rules
    Intermediate: applies the rules
    Proficient: understands the rules
    Expert: understands when the rules don't apply

The topic at hand was explosives, BTW, frankly more dangerous and easier to screw up than guns.

I"m adding a 5th one. Youtubers MAKE the rules. (or is that "make up")
    [/FONT]

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Not exactly. It's that the brass is bulged and dangerous for reloading. I've got some once (maybe twice) fired brass that's clean but not yet resized. Maybe I'll mic it and see if said bulge exists.

Yes, brass from a glock can / usually is bulged. I've reloaded a bunch of brass shot in a Glock with no issue. I've never had a ruptured case or a case head seperation. Properly sized brass removes the bulge

The unsupported chamber is a real thing.

Mostly in .40 factory barrels that is I've seen.

But if you're that attached to the church of glawk just ignore it, as people that don't want to be told the truth, won't listen to the truth.

No one is saying the bulge doesn't exist. I for one am saying its not that big of an issue for reloading. Size it, inspect and load .

I have had bulged brass and I reload and shoot just fine.

Same here

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    This is mostly from 40cal, and not so much in the gen 4. When I run the brass thru my Dillon dies that have the "buldge" the brass will not fit in my headspace gauge and I discard it. I have heard good things about the Lee buldge buster dies but have not tried it myself.
    I always load my 40cal that will be shot in my glock on the light side

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    Yup I have run 9,40, and 10mm reloads fired from Glocks, in Glocks. No issues resize properly and it's all good once inspected. Oh and I usually load hot. Not over just high end.

OHOIAN

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2014
    NE OHIO
    glock-brass_zps1in2work.jpg

Brass that looks like this should not be reloaded. This is the Glock bulge "smile". Only from older Glocks.

GenerousChamberBulge_zpsxorvuvkk.jpg

Brass that looks like this can be fixed with a bulge buster type die.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    You just said "older Glocks". Do you have any specifics?

Gen 2 and earlier gen 3, and as said, MOSTLY in .40. The first pic OHOIAN showed is typical of an overpressure round and the second is the typical bulge of a loose chamber (regardless of manufacture). If you are getting the first then you need to back down your load and discard your brass. If you get the second one then reload away and if it really bugs you get the bulge buster die.

The 10mm and .45 don't have this issue regardless of generation, but the chambers did get a little tighter in successive years. I have numerous G20s and G29s including one of the earliest produced of each and of all of my 10mm pistols the loosest chambered Glock is about middle of the road as far as chamber tightness out of the 9 different 10mm manufactured guns I own. I don't have any firsthand experience with the Glock 9mms as I don't own any.

If you are really paranoid get the LWD barrels for the Glocks, they have extremely tight chambers.

Last edited:

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    I googled glock smile and got this :stickpoke:

constipation244.jpeg

Top Bottom