• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have a graphic I've been holding onto for just such a thread as this...

View attachment 119963
    There is a problem with your poster. Words mean things. Politicians change the meanings of words. Political journalists never know the meanings, but publish whatever they want. Remembering when Clinton declared over and over again that he had budget surpluses (and the simple people believed him). The truth was that his administration borrowed 100's of billions more than needed, and when they did not spend all the borrowed money, the hillbilly shouted from the rooftops that he SAVED all that money. The reality was that the taxpayers were in more debt each year.

US deficit and National debt would make sense to be the same thing. But liars figure and figures lie. Obummer doubled the national debt.

CNBC LOVED obummer. but here is an article that even with their soft gloves is closer to the truth;

The collective IOU had been rising steadily for decades but took a sudden leap in the years after the financial crisis as the government opened the financial spigots in an effort to spur growth.

President Barack Obama’s administration racked up nearly as much debt in eight years than in the entire 232-year history of the country before he took office. He entered with $10.6 trillion in total debt and left with the country owing $19.9 trillion. That’s an average tab of $1.16 trillion a year.

Under President Donald Trump, the debt also has climbed. The $2.06 trillion (for all 4 years) increase works out to about $991 billion a year, or slightly less than the pace Obama had set. End of quote.

I also want us to remember , this is not long term unfunded liabilities, this is simply what fell against the taxpayers at the time. For example, all the unfunded, illegal promises to the illegal aliens do not show on any books, but you can bet every nickle you ever make, the taxpayers are going to end up with the burden.

If you look at the last 13 months, slo mo joe's people are on track to beat both terms of obummer and the term of President Trump combined.

Another thing we need to look at is the hostile congress for the last 2 years of President Trumps term. They went against his leadership at every opportunity and spent money to build up their war chests to get rid of Trump at any cost.

*https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/13/tha...r-is-huge-but-heres-what-it-really-means.html

Last edited:

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Both parties are anti-American when it comes to $$$$. They both suck in different ways. Obama wasted $8 trillion in 8 years and you hear (R) talking about how evil that is. Then you have Trump wasting $8 Trillion in 4 years or half the time....no (R) talks about it, Tucker or Hannity won't talk about it.....nothing from no one. IMHO 99% of Democrats AND Republicans don't care and don't understand the debt so they just keep pulling the lever for their moral side (I'm guilty). Andrew Jackson was last President to pay off the debt and we were debt free. Today 99% don't know the history of Rome......everything that happened to Rome is happening right now, they fell and so are we. In fact IMHO 99% believe we are a Democracy....and we are, but we are suppose to be a REPUBLIC...but not like anyone anymore even knows what that is. Some day the crash will come,.....no ones knows when. But when people realize all their 401K is gone, the banks own everything, and the $ is worthless maybe enough attention will be paid to how we got to this point. I'm sure borrowing and printing more $$$ will be the answer and 99% of the people will vote for that also.

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” John Adams.​

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Both parties are anti-American when it comes to $$$$. They both suck in different ways. Obama wasted $8 trillion in 8 years and you hear (R) talking about how evil that is. Then you have Trump wasting $8 Trillion in 4 years or half the time....no (R) talks about it, Tucker or Hannity won't talk about it.....nothing from no one. IMHO 99% of Democrats AND Republicans don't care and don't understand the debt so they just keep pulling the lever for their moral side (I'm guilty). Andrew Jackson was last President to pay off the debt and we were debt free. Today 99% don't know the history of Rome......everything that happened to Rome is happening right now, they fell and so are we. In fact IMHO 99% believe we are a Democracy....and we are, but we are suppose to be a REPUBLIC...but not like anyone anymore even knows what that is. Some day the crash will come,.....no ones knows when. But when people realize all their 401K is gone, the banks own everything, and the $ is worthless maybe enough attention will be paid to how we got to this point. I'm sure borrowing and printing more $$$ will be the answer and 99% of the people will vote for that also.

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” John Adams.​

No, we are not a democracy. We ARE a constitutional republic. Our Constitution and the three branches of government indicate that we are indeed a constitutional republic.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    No, we are not a democracy. We ARE a constitutional republic. Our Constitution and the three branches of government indicate that we are indeed a constitutional republic.
    No, our square is not a rectangle!

Representative democracy is still democracy. We the people still hold the supreme authority, including the authority to amend, replace, or abolish the Constitution.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Yes we are a Republic....but are we living that? Pretty sure it was killed in the 1920's. We have been living like a Democracy more and more each year. Ask any politician....99% will say we are a democracy. Ask the media including Tucker on Fox...he called us a Democracy...and he is right even though we are not suppose to be. We have killed the republic and replaced it with a Democracy in most areas and its only getting worse......Calling us a Republic and living like a Democracy is not the same.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    US deficit and National debt would make sense to be the same thing.

Deficit relates to cash flow, indicating how much more is going out than is coming in for any given time period. Debt relates to net worth, the negative side. They are related, but different things. Run a deficit too long and you'll be forced in to debt, but you can have debt while running a surplus and you can run a deficit without accruing debt.

For example, due to medical bills I ran a *deficit* in a given month but I did not accrue *debt* because I drew down assets to make up the shortcoming in my cash flow for the month. I do not run a deficit the other 11 months of the year, but I still have debt those months because I have a mortgage.

Making the two things synonymous would be quite confusing.

In the specific case of the federal government, debt is also an asset, as different parts of the gov't hold that debt. Social Security is probably still the biggest holder of US gov't debt there is, but I haven't looked recently. If you own US Savings bonds or Treasuries, you own US debt as well.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Indeed. We are a constitutional republic by definition. Whether we`ve allowed our elected employees to trample our rights and distort the Republic is another matter entirely. Nearly as troubling are those who don`t grasp that we are a constitutional republic.
    What is the definition of republic? And do you know that a republic and a democracy are not mutually exclusive?

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    ^^^^^^^This

...and, did you know that a republic and communism are also not mutually exclusive?

The USSR was also an example of a constitutional republic.

Being a new republic was a major deal back when the world was full of kings, czars, kaisers, etc. However, it's not too big of a deal now days when pretty much every place is a republic.

Last edited:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    ^^^^^^^This

...and, did you know that a republic and communism are also not mutually exclusive?

The USSR was also an example of a constitutional republic.

Being a new republic was a major deal back when the world was full of kings, czars, kaisers, etc. However, it's not too big of a deal now days when pretty much every place is a republic.
    N Korea is a republic as well.

Top Bottom