88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    XZUPO
    I've struggled with the idea of tinkering with my guns. As much as I love buying a gun that needs nothing, I have trouble bonding with them. Now, give me a mediocre gun that I turn into something that (in my mind at least) is special, and I love very bit of the thing. My Delta Elite is a case in point. As bought, it was mediocre Colt production 1911 to the max. Accuracy was iffy, the barrel to bushing fit was at the outside of tolerances and the whole thing had a bead blasted finish that screamed "hide the tooling marks". It's now quite different and is probably one of the last guns I'd part with. It's starting to get regular carry, but will never be an EDC, but even with the old mammoth ivory it sports, it gets carried a couple of times a month.

The P10C was different for me. It just worked so well, I bonded with it even though it was 99% stock. But, now that I've replaced the trigger, it feels like my gun. My Dan Wesson's have all had grips replaced and finger groves added and they feel right to me now. They felt like someone else's gun before I did those very minor of mods. High quality stock guns are really cool in their own way, but running something that you built will always hold a special place in my heart. Maybe it's a personality quirk though, as I tend to not buy art at home, but instead paint it myself. Here's a painting I did a couple of years back. I'm much happier with this on the wall than I am with any other art that I've bought.

XZUPO

XZUPO
    XZUPO

menr0SO

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    XZUPO
    I've struggled with the idea of tinkering with my guns. As much as I love buying a gun that needs nothing, I have trouble bonding with them. Now, give me a mediocre gun that I turn into something that (in my mind at least) is special, and I love very bit of the thing. My Delta Elite is a case in point. As bought, it was mediocre Colt production 1911 to the max. Accuracy was iffy, the barrel to bushing fit was at the outside of tolerances and the whole thing had a bead blasted finish that screamed "hide the tooling marks". It's now quite different and is probably one of the last guns I'd part with. It's starting to get regular carry, but will never be an EDC, but even with the old mammoth ivory it sports, it gets carried a couple of times a month.

The P10C was different for me. It just worked so well, I bonded with it even though it was 99% stock. But, now that I've replaced the trigger, it feels like my gun. My Dan Wesson's have all had grips replaced and finger groves added and they feel right to me now. They felt like someone else's gun before I did those very minor of mods. High quality stock guns are really cool in their own way, but running something that you built will always hold a special place in my heart. Maybe it's a personality quirk though, as I tend to not buy art at home, but instead paint it myself. Here's a painting I did a couple of years back. I'm much happier with this on the wall than I am with any other art that I've bought.

XZUPO

XZUPO
    XZUPO

menr0SO

Very nice work 88....Very nice.

And as to your statement of "Not" fooling with your guns, You know how I am.

TWEAKD4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    NE Indiana
    Wow 88 you painted that? I don't think I have a creative bone in my body but I can appreciate someone else's skill and talent. You must have great patience. How many paintings have you done?

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Congrats on starting reloading Tweak! I wish I had more time to spend at the reloading bench. You won't save money in the long run, but your shooting dollar will go farther when you reload. My favorite bullet to reload 9mm for is the Extreme plated 124g. They usually have a good sale on BF and that's when I stock up.

TopDog, keep telling WTB that you don't like the P10C. Sooner or later, he'll decide to part with it and it will hopefully move over to my collection. I've done some light polishing to mine and have recently installed the HBI trigger. I've come to love the thing, and would not mind adding a second to the safe. Lots of folks do not like the grip texture but I'm a fan. I like how it positively locks into my hand and does not move at all. It's not soft and smooth like my P07 with the Talon grip tapes, but I could dip my hand in a bucket of motor oil and shoot the P10C just fine. I don't think I'd say the same with most of my other guns.

Ah so sounds like you are becoming the wizard of P10's. Maybe I will have to reconsider if you go into the business of fixing them up. The grip does not bother me.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    XZUPO

XZUPO

XZUPO
    XZUPO

menr0SO

Very nice Tim and agreed about doing the stuff that makes the gun "your own" ;)

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Some people like to tinker on their guns and that is perfectly fine, but I don't see any need to tinker on my P7's.

I was mostly, but not exclusively, talking about 1911s and CZs. I understand owning guns as nostalgia pieces. I also understand the attraction of a quirky gun like the squeeze cockers.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    XZUPO

XZUPO

XZUPO
    XZUPO

menr0SO

Wow, that's amazing, Tim.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Morning folks! :coffee:

Can you share your load with those 124g? There isn't many reloading component shops in the Fort so I may have to buy what I can find.

Right now, I'm running my 124g 9mm loads with Accurate #5. I've been using 5.4g with a 1.110 COL and it's been working well for me. Accurate meters well in a Dillon 550, so it's pretty consistent.

Wow 88 you painted that? I don't think I have a creative bone in my body but I can appreciate someone else's skill and talent. You must have great patience. How many paintings have you done?

Thanks, but it's all amateur stuff. I've only done about a dozen in the last 10 years. Two of them are in a museum in England though. I tend to focus on the 55th fighter group and 398th Bomb group a lot and the two in England are at a tiny museum at Nuthampstead where both the 55th and 398th flew out of. I have another in the works, but it's been stalled for over a year while I research the markings on the aircraft in the foreground. It's based on the gun camera footage of Jack Cunnick when he shot an ME 262 down in the spring of 1945 over a small German village near Lechfeld. Having heard Jack tell the story of the kill first hand, it's a special one to me but Jack has passed on and it's been tough documenting what aircraft he was flying that day.

Just saw that MAC did a torture test on the P10C. It did pretty darn well!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOLiBG32IC0

I did see that one and his top three so far are the Rex 1, P07 and P10C. Pretty cool.

Ah so sounds like you are becoming the wizard of P10's. Maybe I will have to reconsider if you go into the business of fixing them up. The grip does not bother me.

Anyone can be a wizard on P10s since they just need shot in mostly. The trigger is a 10 minute update and could be done by a blind monkey while flinging poo. The only real polish was to the mag release and slide release. Both of those would have worked themselves in by the time I got to the 1000 round mark anyway, but I was impatient.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    88.....if you have the parts in your hand then address their needs.

Doing a bit of polish and now the trigger was the only way I could feel like I was a part of the finished product with the P10. Can't do grips, sights I want are not available yet and I'm not a fan of cerakoting a plastic gun. Before the trigger came in, I was essentially just the shooter. It's hard for me to bond with someone else's handiwork some times.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Doing a bit of polish and now the trigger was the only way I could feel like I was a part of the finished product with the P10. Can't do grips, sights I want are not available yet and I'm not a fan of cerakoting a plastic gun. Before the trigger came in, I was essentially just the shooter. It's hard for me to bond with someone else's handiwork some times.

It is difficult for me as well. The Wizard broke me of being a total douche as to the good work of others.....:):

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    XZUPO

XZUPO

XZUPO
    XZUPO

menr0SO
    That"s awesome Tim! Good morning to all you crazy CZ shooters!psyko

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom