The Czickness LII….it is the grey time of year. Tungsten Grey that is…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    My buddy doesn't have the opportunity for a cheaply priced Anschutz, he has the chance for a cheaply priced 452.

I'd tell my buddy to get a Cooper instead of a Anny if he was a baller like the magician :cool:
    WHOA...hold up...you said cheap?

Listen. I'll do your buddy a favor. I'll take the 452 and he can get a 457. That way the seller, your friend and you are all happy.

Just consider it my sacrifice for your happiness. :cool:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Ok children. I have owned about 6 different iterations of the 452, 2 Coopers, and I still have a 453. All excellent shooters and a man could do much worse looking for a good squirrel rifle. The 457 is an actual improvement for the shooter over the previous attempts. CZ actually listened to the market and we should reward them for that. Better trigger, 60° bolt throw, offered threaded, more ergonomic stock options, scope mounting standardized. What's not to like? The choice seems obvious if the goal is better rifle right out of the box.

I do like my Annies, but for the $, CZ 457 is damned tough to beat.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Ok children. I have owned about 6 different iterations of the 452, 2 Coopers, and I still have a 453. All excellent shooters and a man could do much worse looking for a good squirrel rifle. The 457 is an actual improvement for the shooter over the previous attempts. CZ actually listened to the market and we should reward them for that. Better trigger, 60° bolt throw, offered threaded, more ergonomic stock options, scope mounting standardized. What's not to like? The choice seems obvious if the goal is better rifle right out of the box.

Thank you Sir

I'm telln mom you called me a child.. <stomps feet walking away>

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016

Children? WTH?

That is the nicest thing anyone has said to me recently. I try really hard to keep my maturity level somewhere around that of a 16 year old.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    Thank you Sir

I'm telln mom you called me a child.. <stomps feet walking away>
    I can't find the article I was looking for but this is copied from and kinda sums up the differences and opinions on rimfire central. Because we know the internet is always right.

"452 - fixed barrel, requires a smith (or some skill) to swap. Basically, an updated copy of the older Brno rifles, but made by CZ. Nicely blued with a shiny process, and the barrels' contours tend to have some radius to them. User adjustable for: bedding, trigger job, recrowning, etc. There were often slight variations as time went on that were not reflected with a new model number. For instance, the Trainer had a screw midway up the bbl, while the others had action screws on either side of the trigger and magwell. Different receivers in different lines, some had 11mm dovetails on top, some had 16mm. Metal magazines. Safety goes "backwards" from the American standard (push front to put on safe, pull off towards shooter to fire). Accurate, attractive, well-made rifles. Stock checkering may be manual. Aftermarket stocks including Klinskys. Easier to bed and pillar due to action screw inletting (more material around screw holes).

455 - one action, many barrels. Made to be easily swappable among .17 HMR, .22 LR, and .22 Mag and among contours (Varmint/American/Lux). This was an attempt, I think, at cost cutting by lowering the number of variations. Bbls are held on with grub screws, rather than screwed into the receiver. Bbls are either straight (Varmint) or tapered (American etc.), but don't have the radius (contour) near the action that the 452 bbls have. Aftermarket bbls available from Fedderson, Lilja that are user-swappable in five minutes. Lilja bbls let you set your own headspace. Uses polymer mags that are generally interchangeable with the metal mags for the 452. Great for tinkerers. Tangent sights glued on (Lux, Trainer, Ultra-Lux). Safety operates the same as 452. Stock checkering pressed into wood. Trigger is the same basic design as 452, but parts aren't swappable between them. Ditto the bolt. Bluing is a matte black, which some like less than the 452. Offered in stainless steel/all-weather too. Aftermarket stocks, including Boyd's,Klinskys. Harder to bed and pillar due to action screw inletting (less material around screw holes).

457 - same bbls, bbl attachment system, and caliber swaps, as 455, but a shorter receiver. One exception to the foregoing is the MTR bbl -- a bull barrel with a match chamber. Aftermarket barrels should work. Metal is not blued, it is coated. Safety is now "front to fire" like most American rifles. Trigger redesign. Firing mechanism redesign. Bolt redesign, and bolt handle re-done to give more clearance with the current fashion in gigantic "tactical" scopes. Some percentage shipped with chipped firing pin - with no firm date on when replacement parts will ship from the Czech mothership. Some stocks have laser engraving. No full stock (Mannlicher-style) or Ultralux currently available. Same polymer mags as 455. No aftermarket stocks available yet, AFAIK.

Which is best? Who knows . . .I wouldn't even attempt to answer that question without knowing what you were looking for. My next CZ .22 rifle will be a 457 MTR because I have all the 452's and 455's I could ever want. But your answer may differ. My 452's have been more accurate out of the box than my 455's, but my 455's have been easier to modify to shoot well (and better, currently, than my 452's). So if you are a tinkerer: 455. If you are a one rifle kind of shooter: 452. If you like to be up on the latest trends, then 457.

Standard advice here for many years was to get a 452 when you can."

Top Bottom