The Czickness LII….it is the grey time of year. Tungsten Grey that is…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Firehawk

a.k.a. Rainmaker, Rainhawk, Firemaker or whatever
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    This one fascinates me the most. Please note the little red arrows shooting out from the bottom and right side. I thought that my lens was 'flaring', and this was a junk photo.
    It turns out that those red daggers are called "solar prominences", and are small shoots of the plasma. It's actually considered rare to see during an eclipse !
    I saw the bottom one during the eclipse and wondered what it was. I couldn’t see the arrow shape during the eclipse. It just looked like a spark of light on the bottom edge. Thanks for the explanation!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I’ll trade you even up for a can but this offer only stands until Sunday night.

d115877ccd82f7ccd754cb23b0c9aa14.jpg

A great relic of the 70s!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Good morning!!
    Wish my camera phone could take pic like MindfulMan above. Mostly just a bright light with a small dot in the middle. Do still have the high res version in my memory (for now:)
    I read something that phones try to compensate for the lighting, etc. Not sure if there is a way to set the phone to manual to override that on the camera. There may also be additional phone apps that allow that control of the camera.

I think MM said he set his camera to manual, etc.

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Morning folks! :coffee:

Today marks the 80th anniversary of an uncle of mine being shot down and KIA while strafing an airfield in France during WWII. I will be having a shot of good scotch in his honor this evening.

On an odd coincidence, my oldest son shares my uncles name, both being Anthony Piscitelli. My oldest son is also a pilot and actually has a fair resemblance to the uncle. By chance, my oldest son is flying back from Italy today and is flying over France enroute.

media-35087.jpeg

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

Today marks the 80th anniversary of an uncle of mine being shot down and KIA while strafing an airfield in France during WWII. I will be having a shot of good scotch in his honor this evening.

On an odd coincidence, my oldest son shares my uncles name, both being Anthony Piscitelli. My oldest son is also a pilot and actually has a fair resemblance to the uncle. By chance, my oldest son is flying back from Italy today and is flying over France enroute.

View attachment 345919
    Youngest brother's eldest boy just started flight school in Indy recently. Hopes to fly Jumbos some day.

STopaz1982

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 14, 2021
    Hendricks County

View attachment 345919
    What aircraft is he flying?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Youngest brother's eldest boy just started flight school in Indy recently. Hopes to fly Jumbos some day.
    If he gets a chance to fly with Cape Air to build time as opposed to building time as an instructor, tell him to seriously consider it. That was the best thing my son could have done. It may delay his entry into the big jets by a half a year but his experience level is so much higher. The thousand hours he flew over the last year has been filled with flying into and out of airports like O'Hare, Boston, JFK and Saint Louis. He has hundreds of hours of real instrument time and is totally comfortable with the workload needed to work the big airports.

There's not much money in that year but it's a fantastic year of experience. He's now living in Cape Cod working 4 on, 3 off flying UPS drivers back and forth between Hyannis and Nantucket. He took a week of vacation time and jump seated over to Rome to spend 5 days just wandering around Italy. Eventually, the money catches up with them but the real experience is fantastic as an entry into the world of aviation.

If he wants, I can send my son's contact info to you to let the two of them get in contact with each other. Is your nephew flying with Lift?

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg

View attachment 345919
    I always appreciate your reminder of this event. Gives an opportunity to pause for a moment and reflect on the incredible sacrifices made by those generations before us that permit us to live (and complain) about the circumstances we are blessed with today.

Last edited:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Mcapo is going to think that I've gone looney probably, but my friend, it's more than "light, dark, light". If you're in the zone of totality, it's truly an amazing experience ..... either that, or I've gone looney ! ;)

Not at all...I find the observance of astrological events fascinating. We are but a speck on a speck on an atom on a cog in a wheel of a much larger machine than we can imagine.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom