The Czickness LII….it is the grey time of year. Tungsten Grey that is…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Honest question. Be brutally honest. From those that know me and have seen my work. Do you guys think I could make a living doing gunsmithing (not necessarily ALL guns, but maybe specialize in say 1911 and 2011 guns) and also doing metal art with some wood burning art mixed in? I'm at a real crossroads right now in my life and in my soul I feel like I should follow my passion. For those that know me, I take my work very seriously and this is the biggest decision I've ever came across. You can PM me if you don't want to reply publicly.

Thanks
    Even though we’ve only met once and I don’t know you personally, I know you are very creative and inventive. You have a real eye for beauty and how things can go together that many wouldn’t see.

I look at those robots every day and wonder how you saw that in all those odd parts. I’m always a little jealous.

Now, can you monetize that?

I agree with others to start slow. It’ll take a lot of guns to make a living.

I’ve been self employed for about 30 years now, and it all started as just a little side work. I see a lot of people that want to go into business and they jump through a whole bunch of hoops to be able to say they’re in business, like forming an LLC or something, renting a space, buying all kinds of stuff like they’re already an established business, and it’s all for the ‘feeling’ of saying they’re in business. A lot can go wrong.

My recommendation is to do it organically; go for it, but let the business come to you and buy tools/safes/spaces as the volume dictates.

If you do it organically, I believe the success rate goes up, and the penalty for failure is minimized.

All that being said, your individual circumstances and the crossroads you mentioned are unique to you, and that may be a lot different than how I think about it.

Whatever you choose, I believe that you have to be true to your vision. No one else’s. You have to do it your way for it to succeed.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Honest question. Be brutally honest. From those that know me and have seen my work. Do you guys think I could make a living doing gunsmithing (not necessarily ALL guns, but maybe specialize in say 1911 and 2011 guns) and also doing metal art with some wood burning art mixed in? I'm at a real crossroads right now in my life and in my soul I feel like I should follow my passion. For those that know me, I take my work very seriously and this is the biggest decision I've ever came across. You can PM me if you don't want to reply publicly.

Thanks
    I absolutely think you have the skills/knowledge/tools for it. Probably have to open up to other platforms of firearms as the market demands, though. I wouldn't jump in all at once, start small as a side business. As word gets out and folks see your work, it very well could blossom into full time. Especially if your area is needing a good gunsmith.

Depending on what your wanting to do, become a dealer for some parts and accessories. Sell the customer XYZ part at a % markup and install it. If your wife can carry the insurance for the family, that's a big plus. :twocents:

Reece'sPieces

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2023
    Indy
    Have one of the flat ones in my AR absolute dream for the price.
    Speaking of triggers my HBI replacement trigger came in yesterday, so I'll be trying to get that in this weekend.

Thanks
    I'd advise doing it on the side first, to make sure you can make the needed money to sustain yourself and your family. Maybe you can do your job part time if you can find enough side money, or go with gunsmithing entirely if you can get enough jobs. I think gunsmithing would be fantastic for side money and would maybe let you find another job while doing the gunsmithing while you're looking or something. Just hate to see you put all your eggs in one basket only for it to not work out. You have the skills, just need to see if you can find people willing to pay you for it ;)
    I second this, I can't say I know T-DOGG the best only what I've read from the forum. But from my own humble experience in my family's business (which is an icecream stand, very different from gunsmithing), our family only does this on the side and not as a main thing which can allow for a lot of flexibility in your business when starting. Other things to consider is your location and if that matters to business. Another decision I would make early on is if you want to ship things as cost and/or laws can be a pain. Both of these things can be tested during your side business period as well. Last I would consider when starting it as a side business is that you will be putting in a lot of your own hours doing stuff on the back end. Just some suggestions and general info from my experience pray the best for you.

Last edited:

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I'm blaminig a sugar rush for my insomnia !
    But it was worth it. Wife made cookies, and tossed them (still warm) onto some carmel vanilla ice cream ! :alright:

ice%20cream%20and%20cookies-XL.jpg

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    Unrelated, my daughter's winter guard team is doing a Super Mario theme. The wife and I helped with some displays. These are 4x6 canvases. She painted two of them and I'll let you guess which one I painted.

View attachment 331392
    Love these. My first hobby and something I still enjoy greatly to this day is the original Nintendo. Maybe even more than CZ based in fact I have two NES inspired tattoos and zero CZ ones LOL

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Unfortunately no shot until next Thursday as they have to get preapproval from insurance. Asked them if that came in sooner to get me in sooner. I recalled them being able to get me in much quicker when I got my initial shot last year. Hopefully the preapproval comes quicker and they get me in.

I figured today would just be a come in and let us bill you visit.

Top Bottom