• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Buckaroo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    NWI
    Anthony Holtvogt was careless enough to accidentally fire his gun in a restaurant, but thankfully his girlfriend must've bought her BlackBerry from Superman. It's the only explanation I've got for the fact that the phone stopped a bullet. Ok, so maybe it was simply a matter of the BlackBerry being in just the right spot and the bullet hitting it in just the right way. And it's entirely possible that Anthony got dumped after accidentally shooting his own girlfriend.
    I just like to think that it really was Superman's BlackBerry and that it really did save a relationship

Watch the video there are things to learn. I think the LEOs are being very generous regarding his mistake.

Buckaroo

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Is there anything Blackberries can't do?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_Zdr70annU"]YouTube - Woman's BlackBerry stops stray bullet[/ame]

Clif45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Lake Station
    The video sounds like a bit of negligence on the mans part. Carrying with no cover over the trigger doesnt seem like a very good idea. Fortunately everyone is OK.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    From the policeman in the video:
    "While he was adjusting his jacket, he noticed that the slide was back, on the gun, and then :dunno: it fired. He said his hand wasn't anywhere near the trigger or anything"
    :scratch:
    What in the world is he talking about?
    The slide was back and the gun fired?
    What?

sianbrimons

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 4, 2010
    Elkhart
    i'm quite curious to know what caliber it was, i'm guessing a .25 if it didn't go through a blackberry. at least now i know there's a small patch near my testicles that's sure to be protected from small calibers, good to know...

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    This was the same thing I thought... WTH was he talking about, noticed the slide was back and then it fired??? Then the cop repeats it as if this was a reasonable statement.
    I understand that guns just go off when you look at them, but what was the slide doing back all on It's own?:D

From the policeman in the video: :scratch:
    What in the world is he talking about?
    The slide was back and the gun fired?
    What?

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    Happened in Ohio, here's a page with the law - Lawriter - ORC - 2923.121 Possession of firearm in liquor permit premises - prohibition, exceptions.
    Section 'e' gets him off the hook so long as he is licensed, and if I read it correctly. IANAL
    I agree with your interpretation. But doesn't section "e" essentially undermine the whole law? I mean it would be illegal to carry there without a permit anyways. To summarize, the law says "you cant carry in a place where people are drinking, even if you have a permit. Unless you have a permit." As kind of an aside at the end that section says "oh yeah, you can't drink alcohol and carry a gun there" but that would have been a much simpler, much shorter law

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I agree with your interpretation. But doesn't section "e" essentially undermine the whole law? I mean it would be illegal to carry there without a permit anyways. To summarize, the law says "you cant carry in a place where people are drinking, even if you have a permit. Unless you have a permit." As kind of an aside at the end that section says "oh yeah, you can't drink alcohol and carry a gun there" but that would have been a much simpler, much shorter law

Ohio has unlicensed open carry. So it is legal to carry without a permit, just not in a place that sells/serves alcohol (and I think there may be a few other places that are off limit without the permit, that are allowed with).

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    how nice of them to charge him with a 3rd degree felony even with a permit and an accidental discharge, also would that mean i would have gotten charged if i was carrying in walmart cause they have a license to sell liquor?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Ohio has unlicensed open carry. So it is legal to carry without a permit, just not in a place that sells/serves alcohol (and I think there may be a few other places that are off limit without the permit, that are allowed with).

how nice of them to charge him with a 3rd degree felony even with a permit and an accidental discharge, also would that mean i would have gotten charged if i was carrying in walmart cause they have a license to sell liquor?

Okay after reading a bit more, I believe that it is legal to carry into a store in Ohio that sells alcohol for off premise consumption if you have a permit/license. But not where they sell it for consumption on the property. So you would be fine in walmart but not a restaurant that serves booze. If you read the section of code where it allows carry with a license/permit it specifies a D-6 and D-8 liquor permits. From my non-lawyer reading of Ohio statutes a D-8 permit is only for sale for off premise consumption.
    Lawriter - ORC - Chapter 4303: LIQUOR PERMITS

IANAL, TINLA, etc.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    This idiot is exactly the type of person who gives the rest of us a bad name. Should they charge him? Yes, absolutely, something extremely careless had to have happened for that gun to fire. On the other hand, maybe I'm wrong, Ohio requires safety courses to get a CCW don't they? Maybe he was being perfectly safe with it, and a solar flare or some other strange phenomena caused the gun to fire. (sarcasm off) What an idiot!

Top Bottom