• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    There was a church shooting in TN today. Criminal walked in and started firing a shotgun into the pews, injuring or killing several adults. He was captured alive by presumably-unarmed parishoners.

Anyone know if TN forbids carry in houses of worship?

Blessings,
    B

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Its private property so Tennessee cant ban it. I know they have some sort of carry. My dad lives there, and im traveling there in 2 weeks so i need to ask him about the gun laws so i know i wont get in trouble as i am taking like 6 guns with me down there.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    It was in Knoxville. I lived there over ten years ago. There were folks whom I used to kayak with that attended that church. I didn't recognize the name of the guy who received the fatal shot but am waiting for the full list to be released.

Bloody psycho. And people ask me why I feel the need to carry a gun!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    It was in Knoxville. I lived there over ten years ago. There were folks whom I used to kayak with that attended that church. I didn't recognize the name of the guy who received the fatal shot but am waiting for the full list to be released.

Bloody psycho. And people ask me why I feel the need to carry a gun!

My question is: Why wasn't anyone that was THERE carrying? I hope no one you knew was there today.

Blessings,
    B

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I went to grad school with their pastor. We ate at his home and celebrated when his first book was published. After graduating we lost track of him and his family.

I hope he is fine and send prayers to his family & flock.

First reports have the attacker as a stranger to their church. And my buddy was away at the time, he is back now.

As for carry at a UU church. It is not exactly the demographic.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    It was a UU church. Most of the folks that I knew from there were scientists at Oak Ridge Nuclear labs. They have a tendency toward being pretty far left. There were exceptions, of course - a retired Col. comes to mind. By and large, I would say the members of the congregation are probably below the nat'l average for firearm ownership. Sorta like Quakers.

Just awful... during a children's play when it happened.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I went to grad school with their pastor. We ate at his home and celebrated when his first book was published. After graduating we lost track of him and his family.

I hope he is fine and send prayers to his family & flock.

First reports have the attacker as a stranger to their church. And my buddy was away at the time, he is back now.

As for carry at a UU church. It is not exactly the demographic.

Good point. I'd forgotten that. Pink Pistols, maybe.

Still, gotta give 'em a :+1: for capturing the guy.

Blessings,
    B

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Yeah... the news says he was there to "kill Liberals". :n00b:

I wonder if he was a member of that nut-case church behind all the protests at fallen soldier's funerals??? :rolleyesedit:

:cheers:

You're talking about Westboro Baptist and no, they wouldn't be involved. They are very careful that everything they do is 100% within the law.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    You're talking about Westboro Baptist and no, they wouldn't be involved. They are very careful that everything they do is 100% within the law.

Yeah.... that's them. I just hope they slip-up sometime. I would love to see some of those frikin' pukes go to jail!!! :rolleyesedit:

Last edited:

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Yeah... the news says he was there to "kill Liberals". :n00b:

I wonder if he was a member of that nut-case church behind all the protests at fallen soldier's funerals??? :rolleyesedit:

Some of the media are calling it a "Hate Crime" since Liberals were targeted. I didn't know that Liberals had become a protected legal class :rolleyesedit:

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Sounds like someone braved a hit to save others. The one killed stepped directly in front of the shotgun to save others. I'd prefer to save others via taking down the shot gunner.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I don't know - maybe I'm too close to this since I knew folks years ago who attended that church. For that matter, I'm still a member on record for a UU church in St. Louis - along with several shooting & hunting buddies, folks one would never class as "liberal."

"Hate Crime" for liberals or as a protected class - nah. Hate Crime for anyone for bursts into a church and starts shooting based on what the shooter perceives the congregation believe? Yeah, I think so. Religious persecution was a major player in the history of our country's colonization.

This is not a political sub-forum but a Carry sub, so I guess I'll say this... I wish someone had been carrying that day. If not, I guess I understand. There are other places where tradition has it that no weapons should be brought in order to preserve the peace of the gathering. Of course, most of those places had armed guards stationed at the perimeters.

Either way, I have great admiration to the member of the congregation who took a shot to save others.

hoosiertriangle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Avon, IN
    This is truly a sad incident, but there should be hate crimes, just crimes. The concept of a "hate" crime is horrible. No class of person should be protected because they belong to a class other than that of being a human.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I think I see what you are trying to say and I don't disagree. A crime against another human is, in my eyes, a crime. No other status, class or protection need be attached.

However, as defined by Federal Public Law 101-275 Hate Crimes are [FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]"crimes that manifest evidence of prejudice based on race, religion, sexual orientation, or ethnicity, including where appropriate the crimes of murder, non-negligent manslaughter, forcible rape, aggravated assault, simple assault, intimidation, arson, and destruction, damage or vandalism of property." It means they can attach an extra measure of penalty under that classification.

If this piece of crap can get extra time in prison, or consideration for the death penalty, as a result of it also technically being a "Hate Crime" since he shot up a church, I'm all for it in this case. Use the existing law to remove as much possibility for parole as possible.

[/FONT]

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I think I see what you are trying to say and I don't disagree. A crime against another human is, in my eyes, a crime. No other status, class or protection need be attached.

However, as defined by Federal Public Law 101-275 Hate Crimes are [FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]"crimes that manifest evidence of prejudice based on race, religion, sexual orientation, or ethnicity, including where appropriate the crimes of murder, non-negligent manslaughter, forcible rape, aggravated assault, simple assault, intimidation, arson, and destruction, damage or vandalism of property." It means they can attach an extra measure of penalty under that classification.[/FONT]

[FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]If this piece of crap can get extra time in prison, or consideration for the death penalty, as a result of it also technically being a "Hate Crime" since he shot up a church, I'm all for it in this case. Use the existing law to remove as much possibility for parole as possible.[/FONT]
    As much as the criminal deserves the utmost punishment, it won't bring the dead back, and it won't erase what anyone there saw that day. As long as he's prevented from ever doing anything remotely similar to this ever again, I'm satisfied. I really worry when people want to make exceptions that this crime is so horrific, or that person was whatever, so therefore we need to abandon the principle that we are a nation of law, not of men. The law must apply equally to all or it actually applies to none, and I don't think any of us want that.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    B

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Let me weigh in here and say I am on shaky terms with the classification of hate crimes. The reason why is not because some crimes do not deserve extra punishment, because we actually already do that. The reason is the focus of victimhood is misplaced and thereby creates a potential status where one victim is different than another.

Let me explain.

We already to have greater punishments and classifications of crimes by intent. Rico, terrorism, etc are all crimes that are considered greater than the individual acts themselves. I.E. killing someone vs. killing someone in a terrorist attack. The latter gains higher level of crime and punishment due to the intent which is to make victims of more than those being killed. It takes an individual crime against one person and adds to it a crime against the State itself by attempting to terrorize the body politic.

The idea behind hate crimes was similar. That is, these are crimes that are done with the intent of victimizing both the victim and the greater public/State. So they deserve greater punishments as such.

The problem is with any crime of intent. How do you prove what Mr. Wacko was intending in the attack. If he acted alone and did nothing more, what does it mean? If guy A attacks a mall and is a murderer, and guy B does the same yelling "allah akbar" are the crimes different since the latter might be a terrorist attack?

Add to this a grave mistake which was making the potential victims of a hate crime specific to certain groups. Now members outside those groups are going to feel like B class citizens and they have some right to feel that way.

A better route would have been to keep the idea of terrorist attack but allow that to be for any attack which has the intent of targeting groups via violence against their members with the intent of changing the body politic. That is to say, blowing up a gay bar with the intent of chasing all gays out of town is a terrorist attack. Burning down a Baptist Church in order to chase off the evangelicals would be the same.

But you would have to prove the intent. However if you could, then burn them extra crispy. And there is a need for that. The State needs protection of it's members when they are under attack even if the only direct victim is one or two people.

Sadly, we have this well emoted but poorly thought out system that exists now which could have been better, but is not.

Like I said, on shaky terms.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Bill of Rights-

Aw, man. Ya gotta get all logical and dispassionate on me. ;)

Personally, I agree that the Hate Crime Law is a bit... well, not what I would have advocated be codified into law. It does provide certain preferential punishment. Not feeling for the criminal when I say that, but it almost could make it appear that the same crime (say, rape) is less of a crime when applied to this one victim than the other. If one could prove a propensity for the criminal to commit the crime again, based on an additional motivation, then... I don't know. Couldn't that be addressed in the Early Parole phase rather than punishment?

I guess what it comes down to is this:
    • I hope the murdering piece of garbage gets the greatest penalty allowed under law. (You'll find I feel that way about most crimes!) :thumbsup:
    • From the view of Federal Law, whether we like it or not, this mass murder in a church from a non-congregational person, if we can believe the haze of truth from reports, motivated by his disagreeing with what he perceived the beliefs of the congregation might have been... Well, the wording of Federal Law would define it as a Hate Crime. At least the way I would read it.
    • I think the whole idea of a codifed "Hate Crime" shows preferential treatment to some and not to others. I don't like it. I like 0/1s, black/white, logic.

Top Bottom