• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Hey INGO,

I am looking for an affordable option for some temporary heat in my woodshop for the winter. Maybe next year, I hope to be able to run gas out to the shop and do natural gas heat so just looking for an easy option now.

Shop: 24 x 16 (384 sq ft) detached garage. Walls are insulated. No windows, so cracking a window is not an option.

Use of Shop: this is a woodshop that I tinker in on the weekends. Rarely during the week. Thus, why I just need temporary heat for when I'm going to be out there.

Budget: need to stay under $150 for initial investment. I do not want to order online - want to get it at some type of retail location (Menards, Lowes, Home Depot, Ace, Walmart, etc).

Location: I am in NW Illinois, so temps are on the cold side outside. I'm not looking to make it like a beach inside, but warm enough to be enjoyable to work in without bundling up.

I seem to have arrived at the question of propane versus kerosene. However, I see mixed opinions on both for indoors use and safety. It is a woodshop, so saw dust is present. I do not want to be concerned with condensation and rust concerns in tools. I want to avoid electric.

Options that seem to be things to consider:

http://www.menards.com/main/p-2431641-c-6863.htm
    http://www.menards.com/main/p-2431631-c-6863.htm
    http://www.menards.com/main/heating...erosene-heater-23000-btu/p-1358695-c-6863.htm
    Shop Dyna-Glo Convection Kerosene Heater at Lowes.com
    Shop Mr. Heater 18,000-BTU Portable Radiant Liquid Propane Heater at Lowes.com

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'd avoid the propane heaters. It will build up on the catalytic element and I assume wear it down, while smelling like burnt wood. Given dust is present, I think the dyna glow is your best option.

im partial to salamander forced air kerosene heaters, but they are loud and use electricity, which you said you want to avoid. (And they are a bit more expensive)

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    I'd avoid the propane heaters. It will build up on the catalytic element and I assume wear it down, while smelling like burnt wood. Given dust is present, I think the dyna glow is your best option.

im partial to salamander forced air kerosene heaters, but they are loud and use electricity, which you said you want to avoid. (And they are a bit more expensive)

I thought that the flame on the kerosene heater may be an issue with saw dust. Thoughts?

Yeah - the Salamander would work great for some, but not what I'm looking for.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I knew an old wood worker that made a wood burning heater out of an old water heater and he used that to heat his shop when he worked in it.

For temp heat I use a ceramic heater that is clamped on top of a Propane tank similar to this.

SealeyLP13.jpg

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    I don't think you can do it for that little. Maybe a cheap kerosene heater? I guess baseboard heat is a good option for your budget.

CPT - you don't think I can find a heater for under $150? I'm just looking at initial investment. I'm not figuring in refueling either option.

Baseboard may be ok, but I'm avoiding electricity. Don't have a new panel run out to the shop yet, so can't overload the circuit with electric heat.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    I knew an old wood worker that made a wood burning heater out of an old water heater and he used that to heat his shop when he worked in it.

Wood burning would be great, but I'm just looking for a quick and easy temporary solution for this winter.

Mister K

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2014
    Central IN
    I have a similiar heating situation as you are describing. I have a round 20K kerosene convection heater similiar to the ones you have linked. It does a good job of heating up my shop, depending on how well your shop is insulated, it might get quite comfortable in there. They burn about 1.9 gallons every 12 hours or so and kerosene is currently running at about $4.49 a gallon, so do the math for your situation. I only notice a slight odor when first firing it up then turning it off. At the store, next to the kero heaters, you should find some small bottles of additive that have a pleasant scent to them, such as pine. The additive helps the smell and keeps the wick burning clean. It works like adding HEAT to your cars gas tank, in fact, I believe it is basically the same thing except it smells like pine. I generally run a dust collector when I'm doing excessive dusty things, so as not to create the exploding dust effect, but I'm probably over thinking that. I just blow the dust off of the heater when it's not in use. Of course this is my opinion and your results may vary.

Here is a link with some good kerosene info:
    Regular Maintenance

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You are looking for a Unicorn my friend.
    A shop that size will require some form of forced air to get the heat out in the entire area.
    Propane or kerosene Salamander is you only option or base board if you have the power. With no fresh air available that may not be the ticket either.
    Your initial budget is not going to do this. Just not realistic. You need something safe both for fumes and the dust.
    I have done this work all my life and if I could heat a shop that size for that money with no power consumption I would corner the market and "Rule the World"....Sorry, I digress into Pinky and the Brain on occasion......:)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    CPT - you don't think I can find a heater for under $150? I'm just looking at initial investment. I'm not figuring in refueling either option.

Baseboard may be ok, but I'm avoiding electricity. Don't have a new panel run out to the shop yet, so can't overload the circuit with electric heat.

Tank top heater is about all you are going to get for this if your budget is limited.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Tank top heater is about all you are going to get for this if your budget is limited.

The nice thing about a tank top heater is that it is directional meaning that you feel the radiant heat if it is pointed at you. I have used mine on camping trips outdoors and have had to move away from it for being too hot. My ideal distance is around 8 feet for comfort.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Thanks for all of the feedback everyone.

Propane seems to be a common trend but I'm told that all I can afford is the small types that clip on top of a tank.

What about this?

Is this different or am I missing something? It can run off of a variety of propane tank sizes, adjustable BTUs, claims to be indoor safe, and is on sale down the road for $119.

Im not figuring refueling into my budget requirements - I'm only looking at initial investment.

Last edited:

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    From a survivalist, be a neat back up for loss of power/heat. I think the round Kerosene style would do a better job and cheap on the run. Colder days may call for 2 to boost a working area to shirt sleeve condition, then cycle one off. Even a little insulation/visqueen plastic would keep heat in the walls-ceiling. You need a vent of fresh air though.
    Whatever you burn, it deprives the inside of combustion air. Couple of laundry room vents w/ flapper may help, or cut one in and put a manual damper.
    Simply, open the service door, and hang a decent storm door. Get one to slide up or down the glass to provide screen and some air.
    Neighbor repairs small engines(snow blowers, lawn mowers, snow machines, motorcycles) and used the 2 Kerosenes for years till we installed a real Unit Heater. His real concern was gas fumes-dangerous. Vent allows circulation, we installed a restaurant style exhaust fan bought at an auction for $30.00. On high will pull your ball cap off!
    Start small, improve as you can! Good luck.

Grump01

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Madison County

Propane seems to be a common trend but I'm told that all I can afford is the small types that clip on top of a tank.

What about this?

Is this different or am I missing something? It can run off of a variety of propane tank sizes, adjustable BTUs, claims to be indoor safe, and is on sale down the road for $119.

Im not figuring refueling into my budget requirements - I'm only looking at initial investment.

This one if you're going to use larger than 1lb tanks would be easy to knock over (because of being only hooked to the other tanks by a hose or hoses, after clicking on the installation instruction on the page you linked to), where one clamped to a 20# or larger tank would be more stable with the tank being a more stable base. But, I have concerns about dust and fumes. A dust handler should take care of the dust concern, but I would still have major concerns about fumes from some glues and finishes being a dangerous fire hazard.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis

What about this?

The one I have is 16,000 btu and it works for a local area but will not heat the whole space (I am guessing).

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    Dust and vapors can be a issue with any heating system. I use a LB White in my shop it has a open flame you just have to use some common sense and be careful.

Moparracer89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    NWI
    I use the mr heater big buddy in my garage and I like it. It is slow to heat the room but itll keep my 19x17 garage at 50* when it is 10* outside. I use both the 1 and 20# tanks with the filter. FYI it does have an open pilot flame.

Top Bottom