• ...and so much more!
  • Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Okay, here we go:
    1. The 5" flash hider and short barrel goes back to the Vietnam War. The XM177 was made with a "sound supressor" instead of the flashhider (the flash hider today is made to "look" like the supressor of old). During the war, it toned down the short barrel's blast, which was still bad compared to other supressors. We dont get the cool supressor innards that Colt offered the Airforce and Army during the war. I want to iterate: This was not like the supressors of today, they just toned down the noise/blast instead of eliminating it. Those who want to make a replica of the XM177 (I almost did!), this is the kit to get from Model 1.

2. The flashhider is usually permanently attached, so the ATF doesnt freak out.

3. I have fired an XM177 lookalike. The weight balance is phenominal! You get a much lighter muzzle than a 16" but without the ruckuss of a 11.5".

Its got a purpose for replication ideas. The hider itself is rather bad, it channels the noise and blast forward but does little to dissapate the flash signature. Sort of like the Noveske Krink flash supressor, keeps it out of your face, but really channels it forward.

I had half a mind one time to make another AR with a 24" A2 upper, with the 5" XM177 style supressor on the end. Something about a really long AR appeals to me! :D

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    HYPOTHETICALLY, I'll never forget the guy who bought an 11.5" w/5" flash hider one day, and came back in about a week later with an A2 flash hider on his 'new' rifle. I said "Wow, you got that SBR paperwork pretty quick!". He said "Huh??". I said you'd better get your a$$ outta here and put that thing back to original configuration!!!

Hypothetically, of course....

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I think it's just aesthetics. It "Looks" like you have a 10.5" bbl with a removable flash hider, but it needs to be permanently attached to be legal. They used to sell a 5.5" flash hider that would slide over a 16" bbl and "Look" like you had a 10.5" bbl with a 5.5" flash hider. I like the look. I'd love to have a 10" bbl AR but just can't see paying the feds the SBR fee, so I'll stick to my 16" bbls. To each their own....

Edit, I just read the first page before posting and then realized there were 2 more pages! I'm to lazy to edit/rewrite it so forgive me. What a newbie!!!

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    A flash hider doesn't even really suppress the flash, does it? I don't see how it could... I know they're great to control recoil, but that's about it, right?

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    A flash hider doesn't even really suppress the flash, does it? I don't see how it could... I know they're great to control recoil, but that's about it, right?

A muzzle brake, which is what helps control/reduce recoil, is not the same thing as a flash suppressor.

When I went through the rifle portion of Air Force basic training, the way it was described is that the flash suppressor doesn't so much "suppress" the flash as scatter it in different directions so that it's harder to identify exactly where the shot came from. Instead of one "jet" of flash pointing right back at you, you've got several pointing in different directions.

Top Bottom