• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hippykiller

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Johnson Co.
    I just wondered... There is a rather lengthy thread about it on ar15.com and since I do not have an account I could not ask... They where getting pretty in depth about the whole thing too... Yet no mention of why in the world you would spend the money to have it done.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Why would someone buy a 14.5" upper for an ar, only to have a 5" flash hider permanently attached? Why not simply buy a full 16" upper?

Well don't you know? The longer the flash hider the less you see it.
    surrender.gif
    :rofl:

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I assume you mean .5"

Or do you mean the uppers that really do have the 5" FH to bring the barrel to legal length (shorter than 14.5" though:?

glockguy07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Well yeah.. kinda. Why spot welled a 5" flash hider to a perfectly good 14.5" barrel essentially ruining it?

It's an 11.5" barrel not 14.5"

ETA - Why do people do that, or buy it like that? Who the freak knows, that's just stupid, just like getting an ar pistol :n00b:

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    It's not a 14.5" barrel, it's only 11.5". A 14.5" barrel with the 5" FH would be uttely useless, and even more ridiculous looking.

I was actually told that people did it with the CAR gas system because that's what it was designed for. Something about the dwell time in the gas system or what-not. I have no idea if that's true, just what I've heard.

fpdshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Fishers
    This is pretty common to do with the Smith Enterprise Vortex. Take a 14.5 in barrel, pin a Vortex and you get a 16.1 overall length barrel. Plus you get the added benefit of superior flash suppression of the Vortex.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Well, if you happen to have a SBR configuration...and then find yourself living in a location that doesn't allow SBRs...then this would be a quick and inexpensive solution to the problem, provided you didn't want to sell your SBR upper before you moved.

Just a possibility.

-J-

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Hey! How exactly is a rainbow made? How exactly does the sun set? How exactly does the posi-trac rear end on a Plymouth work? It just does.:D

Joe Dirt let me attempt to answer you.
    How exactly is a rainbow made? Rainbows are optical illusions and meteorological phenomena that cause a spectrum of light to appear in the sky when the Sun shines onto droplets of moisture in the Earth's atmosphere. How exactly does the sun set? The sun does not rise or set. The earth rotates giving the sun that illusion. How exactly does the posi-trac rear end on a Plymouth work? Well the simple explanation is that there is 2 clutch like things in the rear end if either starts to spin the clutch slips and lets the power go to the other side.

:D

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Actually the 5" long flash hider is for states that do not allow SBR's. It must be permanently attached. Also someone who may not want to pay the extra for the stamp might go this route.

Top Bottom