• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Yeah its pretty interesting how well-to-do people who have never lived near crime always have plenty to say about how terrible crime is in all these places they would never go. Like people in Bloomington who know so much about how dangerous Gary IN is. Please. I only take your opinion if you actually have lived there. Otherwise, you get filed away in the folder labeled "snuffy rich people who look down their noses."

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    While I NOW live in Fishers, I lived at 38th and MLK/Michigan.
    I can safely say as someone who is hardly snuffy, and FAR from rich that I wouldn't consider living inside the 465 loop any longer.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    While I NOW live in Fishers, I lived at 38th and MLK/Michigan.
    I can safely say as someone who is hardly snuffy, and FAR from rich that I wouldn't consider living inside the 465 loop any longer.

Yes well I live south of 50th... on 12th... and you know what... my neighborhood is very safe.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Yes well I live south of 50th... on 12th... and you know what... my neighborhood is very safe.

"Safety" isn't the only reason I don't want to live inside the loop.
    Traffic during race season is fun where you live right? ;)

Since I work on the North East side, living here makes sense. etc. etc. etc.

38th and MLK.... not a hot area to live in.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Yeah its pretty interesting how well-to-do people who have never lived near crime always have plenty to say about how terrible crime is in all these places they would never go. Like people in Bloomington who know so much about how dangerous Gary IN is. Please. I only take your opinion if you actually have lived there. Otherwise, you get filed away in the folder labeled "snuffy rich people who look down their noses."
    I once lived at Troy & Meridian on the south side of Indy, and later lived on 38th St. between Lafayette Rd. and Michigan... Yeah.. I'm not living anywhere inside I-465 again, and those were just the outskirts. I'm quite content looking down my nose in my relatively crime-free neighborhood, where it's generally ok to leave my house alone after dark. :) I'll happily take donations, though, to be able to append that "rich" adjective to myself. :)

I get what you're saying though... I know I have a pretty sheltered view of what crime really is. :) There's a reason people would never go to places known for their crime. ;)

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    "Safety" isn't the only reason I don't want to live inside the loop.
    Traffic during race season is fun where you live right? ;)

Since I work on the North East side, living here makes sense. etc. etc. etc.

38th and MLK.... not a hot area to live in.

I've lived in Speedway since I was... 5 except for 3 years... I"m 23 now... so 15 years... I don't even notice when races move into town... it's just part of what I know.

Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana

Seriously? You can't take a look at the annual national crime stats and know that Gary is not safe and you probably shouldn't live there? You can't take the word of a power company employee that says that only brand new hires get sent to Gary because everyone else refuses because the fine, misunderstood folks of Gary shoot at the meter readers out of fear that they are there to cut power? You don't have to have first-hand experience with something to form an educated opinion.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Seriously? You can't take a look at the annual national crime stats and know that Gary is not safe and you probably shouldn't live there? You can't take the word of a power company employee that says that only brand new hires get sent to Gary because everyone else refuses because the fine, misunderstood folks of Gary shoot at the meter readers out of fear that they are there to cut power? You don't have to have first-hand experience with something to form an educated opinion.

Agreed. FWIW, there was never any contention that Gary is an unsafe place. I made a mistake and came off like a jerk in this thread. My point is that it is frustrating when, for example, people from Carmel act like any other portion of Indy is a crime ridden hell hole. This is not meant to **** of the people on this board who live in Carmel. If you consider yourself to be one of the general public in Carmel, then feel how you will. Also, it's entirely possible that the remainder of Indy is a crime ridden hell hole. I don't live there and therefore cannot tell a prospective renter what the deal is. My original point is that while certain areas gain a reputation, that reputation has a tendency to snowball out of control. I know the reputation Gary has, and I have lived there. In general, people are more afraid of Gary than they should be. Does that mean its one giant put-put course where we can all hang out? Of course not. The second part of my original point is that working people have to make decisions, and not everybody can live in nicer neighborhoods. This doesn't make residents of nice places bad people. What makes them bad people is when they act like other areas are dumps, and a person should be embarrassed to live there. If the guy is looking to spend $900 a month on rent, this whole thing is a bit unnecessary, as he can probably afford to live in a "nicer" spot.

Allow me to summarize, as it appears I did a good job of pissing people off:

1)Those who live in nicer neighborhoods are not necessarily snooty.
    2)An area's reputation can easily become distorted. This is often accomplished by people who do not, and never have, lived in the area in question.
    3) We should all be careful of sitting on a high horse and judging some other area or group. This includes me stereotyping people who now live in better hoods.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Agreed. FWIW, there was never any contention that Gary is an unsafe place. I made a mistake and came off like a jerk in this thread. My point is that it is frustrating when, for example, people from Carmel act like any other portion of Indy is a crime ridden hell hole. This is not meant to **** of the people on this board who live in Carmel. If you consider yourself to be one of the general public in Carmel, then feel how you will. Also, it's entirely possible that the remainder of Indy is a crime ridden hell hole. I don't live there and therefore cannot tell a prospective renter what the deal is. My original point is that while certain areas gain a reputation, that reputation has a tendency to snowball out of control. I know the reputation Gary has, and I have lived there. In general, people are more afraid of Gary than they should be. Does that mean its one giant put-put course where we can all hang out? Of course not. The second part of my original point is that working people have to make decisions, and not everybody can live in nicer neighborhoods. This doesn't make residents of nice places bad people. What makes them bad people is when they act like other areas are dumps, and a person should be embarrassed to live there. If the guy is looking to spend $900 a month on rent, this whole thing is a bit unnecessary, as he can probably afford to live in a "nicer" spot.

2)An area's reputation can easily become distorted. This is often accomplished by people who do not, and never have, lived in the area in question.
    3) We should all be careful of sitting on a high horse and judging some other area or group. This includes me stereotyping people who now live in better hoods.

:)

Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana

Fair enough. I misunderstood. Sorry about that.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Echo what others have said... Go south of the city to the southern edges of marion county, then down in to Johnson County, then Bartholomew Co. SE to Shelby Co, Rush Co, etc.

Heck of a lot less expensive than if you go north into (most) of Hamilton county...

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Posted by esrice:
    Stay on the OUTSIDE of the 465 loop.

Hey, not fair. I live downtown and it is really nice here. Of course it does unnerve the neighbors when I target shoot with my 45s in the back yard. Kidding of course. I wish I had some land to shoot on.

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    Dude, there's a house right across the street from me for sale that I'm sure is within your price range. Nice little ranch...

613 S. 4th Ave., Indianapolis, IN 46107 | The Indianapolis Star | Homescape.com

We could borrow sugar or eggs or beer or ammo and fly the USMC colors...

This little burg has lots of prior service Jugheads, good schools, liquor store nearby...and the new gun store on Main St...what else you need? ;)

_JD_

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Thanks for the heads up!

Sounds good, well except the sharing part, I generally don't drink any more, our eggs are always going bad, but I got you on the sugar though.
    :cheers:

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Thanks for the heads up!

Sounds good, well except the sharing part, I generally don't drink any more, our eggs are always going bad, but I got you on the sugar though.
    :cheers:

So when are you going to decide to ditch this government job that takes too long and just find another job so you can move here anyway? ;)

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'll answer the racing part seeing as how my brother lives across the street from IRP (I refuse to call it ORP) BECAUSE of the racing.

We have pretty much everything. The biggies are Indy 500, Brickyard 400 (Nascar), Formula 1 USGP (we don't have it this year, but they are working to try and bring it back if possible, effing Bernie Ecklestone, I hope he chokes on a sandwich), MotoGP (the F1 of motorcycles), and the NHRA Nationals

The lesser known ones are usually at IRP, but include things like AMA Prostar (motorcycle drag racing), and a bunch of other clubs and orginizations that rent the strip/track/oval. We also have Putnam Park and more redneck things like motorcycle hill climb (I saw it in Nashville, IN one year, pretty awesome). The Mid Ohio track isn't too far adding to the racing options (including AMA Superbike).

A lot of Indy teams obviously have their HQ here, but there is a large influx of NHRA teams too, including John Force, Don Schumacher, Vance and Hines, and many others with most of them setting up on Northfield Dr. in Brownsburg.

Pretty much, if it has an engine and wheels, they race it here.

_JD_

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Central Iowa
    So when are you going to decide to ditch this government job that takes too long and just find another job so you can move here anyway? ;)

:dunno:
    I don't know, I'm investigating some possibilities in that area, but I haven't latched on to anything yet. I guess I should get hopping on that. :cool:

Top Bottom