Tax $ funded Antarctic Jello Wrestling???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    While there is certainly a case for peer-reviewed approvals of the merits of a given study (such as the study of shrimp noted in the article), I have to wonder if they really expect the residents to never engage in recreation? Your opinion of Jell-O wrestling as a legitimate diversion aside, you have to give them a chance to blow off steam. The cost for that should be considered as part of the cost of having them down there at all. You can't expect several hundred (up to several thousand) humans to live in Antarctica in relative isolation and not want to have some fun once in awhile. I'd say Jell-O is a pretty cheap way to do that. Certainly cheaper than building them a two-lane bowling alley or something.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    While there is certainly a case for peer-reviewed approvals of the merits of a given study (such as the study of shrimp noted in the article), I have to wonder if they really expect the residents to never engage in recreation? Your opinion of Jell-O wrestling as a legitimate diversion aside, you have to give them a chance to blow off steam. The cost for that should be considered as part of the cost of having them down there at all. You can't expect several hundred (up to several thousand) humans to live in Antarctica in relative isolation and not want to have some fun once in awhile. I'd say Jell-O is a pretty cheap way to do that. Certainly cheaper than building them a two-lane bowling alley or something.

Snow balls are cheaper than jello in Antarctica... :D

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    Your opinion of Jell-O wrestling as a legitimate diversion aside, you have to give them a chance to blow off steam. The cost for that should be considered as part of the cost of having them down there at all. You can't expect several hundred (up to several thousand) humans to live in Antarctica in relative isolation and not want to have some fun once in awhile. I'd say Jell-O is a pretty cheap way to do that. Certainly cheaper than building them a two-lane bowling alley or something.

Yes, I had to acknowledge their argument against that one was pretty weak :)

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica

Maybe they should use their salary and set up their own Reindeer Games? I don't think its the taxpayers' job to provide entertainment for these people.

Being a government geologist in Idaho gets pretty boring too.

badwolf.usmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    2 hourse SE of Chicago
    Yes, nobody should ever do anything fun if there is the slightest hint of tax money involved, no matter how long you've been somewhere or how hard you are working.

I wonder how many people right now are reading this while at work so thus stealing time/internet from their employer. That's theft and fraud right there my friend.

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    Maybe they should use their salary and set up their own Reindeer Games? I don't think its the taxpayers' job to provide entertainment for these people.

This was my first reaction when I saw the article too, but the following quote softened my opinion:

In emails, several people who had been at NSF’s McMurdo Station said the time, effort and jello involved in the wrestling were paid for by contract employees for Raytheon Polar Services, not employees of NSF, and said the event was held outside of work time.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

Maybe they DID use their salary. The article doesn't specify. Certainly our tax money paid to ship the Jell-O down their to their PX (or whatever they call it), but we don't know that they didn't then buy it themselves. The complete budget picture wasn't even looked at. Even if your tax money DID buy it, you don't know what their research contract or grant particulars are. Maybe food, housing, and entertainment are all part of the agreement. It's sensationalist journalism at best.

ETA: ElsiePeaRN's comment above mine supports my statement, but I didn't see it while posting mine.

Top Bottom