• ...and so much more!
  • zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    I know the early reviews were good online. If price keeps falling it may be a solid score. I know a couple people that had them and were happy with them. Just a run of the mill
    Micro 9. Same as all the rest

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I don't get the reasoning behind the triggers on them. It's a DA/SA striker fire with the SA weight and distance artificially inflated to match the DA. So why make it DA/SA?! Just make it a DAO!

Other than that bit of illogicalness, solid budget choice. They work and shoot straight. I haven't sat down and counted but Taurus seems to be having fewer recalls of late than mainstream manufacturers with military contracts.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Take this with a small grain of salt, but from what I understand, this is the culmination of a steep learning curve in the g series pistol, and they think that they now have something that can at least compete with glock, s&w, and sig in the mini 9 category.
    I'm probably not going to sell my sig for one, but it has been an interesting evolution to watch.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I purchased a Springfield Hellcat and Taurus GX4 last month. My father and I took them out and put about 200 rounds through each. They are nearly identical in size (~0.1 inch delta in all dimensions). I was able to get a better grip on the Taurus and it felt better in my hands. The trigger is also better (IMO) on the Taurus but when shooting they both felt the same.

I can't speak of long term reliability of either, but the Taurus held up fine in our shooting session. It handled 115 gr FMJ, 124 gr FMJ, 124 gr Federal HST std pressure, 124 gr Federal HST +P, and 124 gr Speer Gold Dot +P. No malfunctions.

I have a sample size of 1 so YMMV, but I would recommend the GX4 for someone on a budget. Taurus has a pretty decent reputation with G2C and G3C, so I think they went all out and are making a play on moving up stream in the market. IMO, the GX4 competes with P365/Hellcat in features and size and time will tell on reliability...my initial impressions are that it will hold up over time.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Take this with a small grain of salt, but from what I understand, this is the culmination of a steep learning curve in the g series pistol, and they think that they now have something that can at least compete with glock, s&w, and sig in the mini 9 category.
    I'm probably not going to sell my sig for one, but it has been an interesting evolution to watch.

I think it's worth mentioning that Sig, Smith, and Glock have each had their own issues. Sig had the P365 striker debacle, P320 drop safe issues, etc. Glock had issues with Glock 42 and Glock 44 at launch. Smith is currently recalling their Shield EZ line and previously recalled the M&P Shield for drop safety issues.

I'm not saying that Taurus is any better, but each manufacturer has their issues. The above manufacturers you mentioned are no exception.

Trebor657

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 1, 2017
    Fort wayne
    My son in law bought one and asked me to shoot with him. My EDC is an OSP Hellcat. I put maybe 40 rounds thru the GX4 and bought my own the next day. I have put maybe 200 rounds thru it so far with zero issues. The things that bothered me about the GX4 were easy fixes....It came with a pair of 11 round magazines, both of which are flush with grip and create the "pinky dangle" which I am not comfortable with. I added a magazine extension for $10 which eliminated the dangle and gave me 2 extra rounds to 13. The extended magazine also helped some with recoil control which was a bonus. The other thing I didn't care for was the factory dot sight. I have old eyes and the front dot seemed pretty small and the rear sight was just plain, no white outline or dots which took some effort on my part to get a good sight picture quickly. I replaced the sights with a set of XS Big Dots which is a Tritium front dot and Non-Tritium Rear which I chose. What a difference!!! Easy and fast sight picture and alignment and easy to install. The front dot glows like neon in low light conditions, worth every penny to me at least. The trigger on the GX4 is as good if not a little better than my Hellcat and has a pretty short reset....With the pinky thing and sight issue, the GX4 is now my EDC, I like it that much and trust my and my families safety to it every day.....

Attachments

• GX4.JPG
      GX4.JPG
      109.2 KB · Views: 11
    • GX4a.JPG
      GX4a.JPG
      76.9 KB · Views: 11
    • GX4b.JPG
      GX4b.JPG
      20.1 KB · Views: 11

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Taurus seems to have upped their game in the last 10 years or so....their revolvers were hit and miss, and some of their semi's too, but looks to me they are really taking a large share of the CCW market, not to mention just guns in general.. I recently traded for one of their Model 65 revolvers, and am pleased with it, the cylinder has more play than I like, but does not affect the lock up, and accuracy...I want one of their new Executive revolvers.....I still want another (traded it away last century, literally in the 1980's)) PT 99/92....

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    A88E9A07-06E6-4081-AD4D-A0215BA65537.jpeg
    They are fantastic. Love mine. Got one for wife and she’s a little iffy on the size. She doesn’t want to get away from lcp size.

With that said Black one may be on block soon

mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    Has anyone switched to aftermarket tritium sites on the GX4? Curious what everyone is running. I'd like to find a set that's lower profile, not too tall, so there's no obstruction with holsters.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    I’ve had the ameriglo front and love it but did pick up another that had Glock sights already Installed. I believe ameriglo. About same height. Seem to shoot well and no problems with holsters. Believe they are 43/48 size to be a little more narrow

Attachments

• 18CA25AB-87C2-4F50-AAAF-C3788734C7C3.jpeg
      18CA25AB-87C2-4F50-AAAF-C3788734C7C3.jpeg
      76.9 KB · Views: 8
    • 6284A91E-C9A5-4177-A4ED-AB994C7C5D81.jpeg
      6284A91E-C9A5-4177-A4ED-AB994C7C5D81.jpeg
      93.6 KB · Views: 8
    Top Bottom