• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    i was wondering if there was anyone who has any trouble with a taurus.45:ar15:

Which model? My best friend bought a used PT1911 last weekend off a individual and promptly put 200 through last Sat with no flaws.

I own a PT 940 (.40cal) and a PT 92 (.9mm) and perform flawlessly.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Any Taurus can be a fine weapon. They do not have a reputation of lasting long however. If you do not plan on putting a 1000 rounds or more a year throught the pistol, you should be fine. I have never owned one, but I have friends that do and they like them.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Any Taurus can be a fine weapon. They do not have a reputation of lasting long however. If you do not plan on putting a 1000 rounds or more a year throught the pistol, you should be fine. I have never owned one, but I have friends that do and they like them.

Another one of my friends brothers sisters uncles next door neighbors postman who delivers to a guy who knows a guy who saw a guy shoot one tale.

Nothing but myth smoke and mirrors. Buy one, feed it, feed it a lot, then feed it more with no worry.
    And notice that last line, I have friends that do and they like them!!!:)

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    I had a PT145 and it never had a single problem. I did trade it off for three reasons:

#1 - To drop down to only one caliber of handgun ammunition, 9mm.
    #2 - .45acp is about double the cost of 9rmm ammo.
    #3 - The .45acp in that small of a gun was just too punishing to my hand. I admit it, I'm a wimp.

The handgun itself was a beauty. Never a hiccup of any kind. And remember, if you do run into problems, it has the lifetime warranty.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    thats my problem the thing will probably jump out of my hands

Ok, if you want a 45 take a look at the 945, it's 1/2 inch in height taller, but 1.4 in length longer, it's basically a beefed up version of my 940.
    Now if your concerned about recoil a 940 is nice and I shoot +p's in mine with no problem.

Also one of the advantages of the 940/945 is it's a da/sa, got a primer that's hard, you got the ability to re pop the trigger to fire off the round.
    It's also got a safety/decocker for added protection.

They do have a new 800 series coming out that's modeled off of the OSS series but they have hammers instead of being striker fired.

INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    At 30 feet I can keep a pattern the size of a softball with mine. The recoil isn't that bad, but it's not as smooth as a full frame 9mm by any means. I bought because it seems as though it would be the perfect CCW. It's light, dependable, and I wanted to carry something I know would drop something big if the need arised.

Last edited:

dman65

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I carry a pt145

I was a bit leery of the Taurus (due to lack of exposure and knowledge) but I happened to be in Bradis one day and saw the pt145 and became intrigued. After fondling it for about a half an hour I went ahead and bought one. While they were calling it in I noticed the 24/7 in two tone. Played with it for a bit and had them throw that one on the 4473 as well. Couple of weeks later we were out at the nephews house and I pulled them out and shot them. Now I didn’t care to much for the 24/7 but I fell in love with the PT145 at 13 yards, standing with no support fairly rapid fire I was hitting a paper plate every time. Now I realize that this is not great accomplishment from a seasoned shooters perspective but it sold me.
    At this point I can’t speak to the longevity of the gun but I can tell you the perceived recoil seems to be about the same as the XD 40 SC and not much more than the M&P compact 40. The accuracy of the gun is better than I am. Easy to carry, not heavy.
    At 10+1 in 45acp my PT145 is now my carry gun.

Last edited:

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    It's not going to jump out of your hands by any means. I just ended up with a slight little red abrasion on my lowest knuckle of my thumb after a going through a magazine. After a box of fifty, you knew you were shooting .45's in a light gun. I just enjoy shooting the Glock 9mm more. If I didn't have the Glock, the PT145 would still be my carry piece. It is/was easier to conceal in a pocket than my G19.

Last edited:

Hellion_1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Putnam County
    I just purchased a PT-145 and am having point of aim issues. It seems to be shooting about 6-7 inches low out of the box. This is my first DAO with a barrel that short. I have only put 50 rounds though it, so I hope it gets better with break-in. Recoil is lighter than I expected. I handed it to my cousin, and he hit in the same area I did. :dunno:

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    Two words: lifetime warranty. If it continues to shoot low after another hundred rounds or so, send it in. I will warn you though, they are in no hurry to get it back to you. I broke a firing pin on a PT22 (dry firing it, like an idiot) and sent it in. They fixed it, but it was like a 8-9 week turnaround until I got it back.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008

I put thousands and thousands and thousands of rounds through my PT99 and PT92 when I was shooting IPSC with them, and using the PT99 as a carry gun. Replace recoil springs and guide when needed, and they lasted as well as any other gun I've had, with absolutely no malfunctions. Ever. Not one. Beats a very early Glock 23 I once owned, that malfunctioned once or twice every fifty rounds, or the real POS S&W 1076 I owned, that I don't think ever fed a full mag without jamming.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    In my opinion, 200 rounds isn't nearly enough to draw conclusions on reliability. Many kinds of manufacturing defects wont manifest themselves until you have put a few hundred more rounds through it. 500 is a good minimum for starters.

It would be dreadful if something unexpected were to pop up when you needed your pistol the most. Do yourself a favor and spend the extra range time.

Top Bottom