• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Armed Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Indianapolis
    My step father (RIP) had a Taurus 44 mag Raging Bull (Model 444) with an 8 3/8" barrel. This was his day to day carry arm. He always would complain that the barrel was too long but loved the revolver and the fact it was a 44 mag. He decided to have the barrel cut down to 2" by a gunsmith. The gunsmith did a nice job, he even tapered the barrels end to match the original. I inherited this gun. I would like to return it to it's original form. I found on Taurus' website that the barrel can be purchased but recommends that it be installed and pressed in by a gunsmith. Has anybody ever heard of this being done. Needless to say, the ole' girl kicks like a Raging Bull in it's current state. I will post pictures as soon as I get home. I still have what is left of the orginal barrel.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    My step father (RIP) had a Taurus 44 mag Raging Bull (Model 444) with an 8 3/8" barrel. This was his day to day carry arm. He always would complain that the barrel was too long but loved the revolver and the fact it was a 44 mag. He decided to have the barrel cut down to 2" by a gunsmith. The gunsmith did a nice job, he even tapered the barrels end to match the original. I inherited this gun. I would like to return it to it's original form. I found on Taurus' website that the barrel can be purchased but recommends that it be installed and pressed in by a gunsmith. Has anybody ever heard of this being done. Needless to say, the ole' girl kicks like a Raging Bull in it's current state. I will post pictures as soon as I get home. I still have what is left of the orginal barrel.

I would leave it, as your step father had it, just for memories sake:twocents:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Probably cheaper to buy another used one than to buy a barrel and have it installed.

I'll agree with this as well.

However, if your desire is to have it returned to original: Seek out a very competent gunsmith that regularly does this kind of work.

Heck, even ask if Taurus would do it for you, provided that you pay for barrel/shipping/labor/etc etc.

6.75" is still perfectly Indiana Deer Legal out of a handgun, so you're OK in that regards.

-J-

ETA: upon re-reading, I see where you've said "cut down TO 2", not cut down BY 2... BIG difference!!! My bad. So, a 2" barrel is NOT IN deer legal from a handgun.

Last edited:

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU

Just think how R A R E & C O O L that RAGING BULL is, no one has one like your gun:rockwoot:

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    A stranger let me shoot one at the range one time, very cool stuff....8" barrel as well, and she was monster.

....unfortunately I tried to locate the brass on the ground for him after. Doh! :)

Think we could see a picture of your short barreled one?

Armed Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Just think how R A R E & C O O L that RAGING BULL is, no one has one like your gun:rockwoot:

After I think about it, you are right. I will leave it in it's current condition. This is how he wanted it, this is how I should leave it. One day I will pass it down to one of my sons.

But I will tell you all this, this gun kicks like a mule. I bought some 300 grain "Bear Loads". She blast fire out the muzzle about a foot when she is unleashed.

Armed Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Indianapolis
    A stranger let me shoot one at the range one time, very cool stuff....8" barrel as well, and she was monster.

....unfortunately I tried to locate the brass on the ground for him after. Doh! :)

Think we could see a picture of your short barreled one?

I will post a picture this evening. Looks like a GIANT revolver on steroids. She is bulky (Big Boned) :):

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    After I think about it, you are right. I will leave it in it's current condition. This is how he wanted it, this is how I should leave it. One day I will pass it down to one of my sons.

But I will tell you all this, this gun kicks like a mule. I bought some 300 grain "Bear Loads". She blast fire out the muzzle about a foot when she is unleashed.

You did the right think:yesway: You'll always remember him every time you look at that 2 inch barrel RAGING BULL. Also every time you whip that BAD BOY out, every one is going to ask you QUESTIONS, cause NO one has ever seen a CUSTOM RAGING BULL like the one you have:twocents:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I bought some 300 grain "Bear Loads". She blast fire out the muzzle about a foot when she is unleashed.

I was under the impression that anything above a 240gr bullet wasn't "safe" in the taurus raging bulls. At one time I was really interested in buying one and read a lot about them. I'm pretty sure it's noted in the owners manual. You may want to look into that before pushing your luck any further.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I was under the impression that anything above a 240gr bullet wasn't "safe" in the taurus raging bulls. At one time I was really interested in buying one and read a lot about them. I'm pretty sure it's noted in the owners manual. You may want to look into that before pushing your luck any further.

I have a S & W 629 POWERPORT 44 MAG & I don't shoot nothing heavier than 240 gr. :popcorn:

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I was under the impression that anything above a 240gr bullet wasn't "safe" in the taurus raging bulls.

They don't say you cannot use ammo above 240 gr, but use Lawyer Speak to get away from potential liability (which could get them in more trouble in court, but that's another post). Page 7, Section "Ammunition"
    http://www.taurususa.com/pdf/revolver-manual.pdf

They list a bullet size (240gr) and a velocity (1350fps) to indicate pressures allowed. You can safely shoot 320gr hard cast bullets, just not at 1350 fps. If you want to shoot hot ammo, you'd better look at a better gun.

"Taurus revolvers were designed to use cartridges loaded to the limits shown
    below. Other cartridges of various types or bullet weights may or may not
    function acceptably; such ammunition should be thoroughly tested by the
    user before relying on it. Because of the widely differing specifications of
    such other ammunition, Taurus cannot be responsible for malfunctions
    resulting from its use."

Armed Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Indianapolis
    picture.php

Top Bottom