• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I noticed in one of the threads that someone mentioned that the Taurus 1911 uses a non standard size dovetail.

is it smaller than aftermarket sights, Larger, What Exactly is the difference Mine shoots about 5 inches high and I want to fix this. Is anyone making drop in sights for this dovetail or do I have to have the dovetail recut

If anyone has replaced thier sights please be very specific on the differences and what if any brands are selling proper sized sights

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    If it's shooting high, the fix is easy. Just file down your front sight until you're shooting to POA. But yes, it is possible to get replacement sights for your Taurus.
    PT Night sights: Taurus 1911: PT Night Sights MMC Adjustable Sights

Dawson (recommended): www.dawsonprecision.com SIGHTS REAR:Taurus Category

My Taurus was shooting low, so I bought a rear Heinie Straight-eight and filed it to fit. This sight required a "Heinie cut" slide - but after an hour with a file I got the sight to fit nicely without modifying my slide. I then filed down the top until the gun shot to POA, and cold-blued the filed surfaces.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    If it's shooting high, the fix is easy. Just file down your front sight until you're shooting to POA. But yes, it is possible to get replacement sights for your Taurus.
    PT Night sights: Taurus 1911: PT Night Sights MMC Adjustable Sights

Dawson (recommended): www.dawsonprecision.com SIGHTS REAR:Taurus Category

My Taurus was shooting low, so I bought a rear Heinie Straight-eight and filed it to fit. This sight required a "Heinie cut" slide - but after an hour with a file I got the sight to fit nicely without modifying my slide. I then filed down the top until the gun shot to POA, and cold-blued the filed surfaces.

Thanks for the great links on night sights,

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    If it's shooting high, the fix is easy. Just file down your front sight until you're shooting to POA.

I told you wrong here... I should have said:
    ...file down your rear sight until you're shooting to POA.

Filing down the front sight makes the gun shoot higher. My fault... it's been a long day.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    Yes it is a modified dovetail.
    Hold It!
    Before you start hacking and carving or even breaking out your $.
    Are these the Heine straight 8 sights?
    No insult intended but at what range is your Taurus shooting high? Has anyone beyond your shooting ability tried and commented on this. Have you determined if your gun has a 6 o'clock sight picture or Point of aim? How new to the 1911 are you as a shooter? They shoot much different than most other guns because of the way they fit your hand and the type of high hold the beaver tail allows. Take your gun to a match or a range with some knowledgeable shooters of the 1911 & get their input if you are a newbie 1911 shooter. I recommend it before any type of "my gun don't work right" mods are done even if you are a master in your own mind. The simple solution sometimes eludes the smartest of us. This eliminates the case of the stupids we get and have to pay someone else to fix. Or worse we do something that makes our gun a bag of parts or paperweight. Just my views on the topic.
    Measure twice cut once and all that. But a true craftsman will measure twice cut close and then take an rch off at a time to make it fit perfect.
    If you just want to upgrade then by all means butcher to your hearts content. lol
    And please ignore any of the snobs that wouldn't be caught dead with one of those POS 1911s.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Yes it is a modified dovetail.
    Hold It!
    Before you start hacking and carving or even breaking out your $.
    Are these the Heine straight 8 sights?
    No insult intended but at what range is your Taurus shooting high? Has anyone beyond your shooting ability tried and commented on this. Have you determined if your gun has a 6 o'clock sight picture or Point of aim? How new to the 1911 are you as a shooter? They shoot much different than most other guns because of the way they fit your hand and the type of high hold the beaver tail allows. Take your gun to a match or a range with some knowledgeable shooters of the 1911 & get their input if you are a newbie 1911 shooter. I recommend it before any type of "my gun don't work right" mods are done even if you are a master in your own mind. The simple solution sometimes eludes the smartest of us. This eliminates the case of the stupids we get and have to pay someone else to fix. Or worse we do something that makes our gun a bag of parts or paperweight. Just my views on the topic.
    Measure twice cut once and all that. But a true craftsman will measure twice cut close and then take an rch off at a time to make it fit perfect.
    If you just want to upgrade then by all means butcher to your hearts content. lol
    And please ignore any of the snobs that wouldn't be caught dead with one of those POS 1911s.

I would consider myself a seasoned 1911 owner, I've built 2 guns myself but they both had standard rear dovetails and staked front sight. I'm confident in my sight picture.
    I have the straight 8 sights and at first didn't like them because I hate 3 horizontal dots but I'm growing to like them.
    I usually end up with black sights by the time I'm happy but I was going to give the 2 dot system a chance.

From what I'm hearing that the Taurus dovetail is smaller than the standard dovetail so thats good. If I can't find what I want I'll take the gun and have the dovetail opened up to standard size so I can get what ever the heck I want.

But then if I go spending money on the thing that negates the one true advantage that the Taurus has which is it was a full package for "cheap".

I don't mind changing sights and fitting a bushing but I think taurus missed the boat a bit by trying to put anything proprietary on a 1911. 1911 owners want to trick out their gun, that's part of the fun. By making things difficult thier never going to break into the hardcore shooters market. And I believe the casual shooter follows the hardcore's. I bet 85% of the guns that are sold never have 500 rounds through them in thier owners life. Even the guys who shoot the heck out of them when thier new stop after a while. That's my $.02

So the real answer to my question is that the links provided (thank you) have Taurus specific sights. And I can't just go buy any sight and expect it to fit.

I've got Race guns and other much more capable guns than the 1911 (I'll back that up if you want) but I was after a reasoble shooting 1911 and the taurus with a bushing and adjustable or different sights fits that bill.

I'll check out the sights and if I can't find something I guess I'll buy what I want and get out the files. My files are worn out so I'll have to get some new ones.:patriot:

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    I would consider myself a seasoned 1911 owner, I've built 2 guns myself but they both had standard rear dovetails and staked front sight. I'm confident in my sight picture.
    I have the straight 8 sights and at first didn't like them because I hate 3 horizontal dots but I'm growing to like them.
    I usually end up with black sights by the time I'm happy but I was going to give the 2 dot system a chance.

From what I'm hearing that the Taurus dovetail is smaller than the standard dovetail so thats good. If I can't find what I want I'll take the gun and have the dovetail opened up to standard size so I can get what ever the heck I want.

But then if I go spending money on the thing that negates the one true advantage that the Taurus has which is it was a full package for "cheap".

I don't mind changing sights and fitting a bushing but I think taurus missed the boat a bit by trying to put anything proprietary on a 1911. 1911 owners want to trick out their gun, that's part of the fun. By making things difficult thier never going to break into the hardcore shooters market. And I believe the casual shooter follows the hardcore's. I bet 85% of the guns that are sold never have 500 rounds through them in thier owners life. Even the guys who shoot the heck out of them when thier new stop after a while. That's my $.02

So the real answer to my question is that the links provided (thank you) have Taurus specific sights. And I can't just go buy any sight and expect it to fit.

I've got Race guns and other much more capable guns than the 1911 (I'll back that up if you want) but I was after a reasoble shooting 1911 and the taurus with a bushing and adjustable or different sights fits that bill.

I'll check out the sights and if I can't find something I guess I'll buy what I want and get out the files. My files are worn out so I'll have to get some new ones.:patriot:

Glad you understood I wasn't tryin to think you was retarded. I just see a ton of people on the boards helping tear apart an engine when the newb needs a pcv valve and an oil change. Great luck. Hope you sort it all out.

I tell ya the Taurus s junk compared to an XD and BTW I just happen to have one to trade for it...lol

Stay safe!

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Try Midway USA and/or Brownell's. FWIW, an outfit with the trade name "Champion" makes several different adjustable rear set-ups at very reasonable prices, including an elevation-adjustable similar to the Novak "XD" which doesn't require the additional machine cut to the standard Novak dovetail. Either catalog will offer you at least a couple more options, too.

Top Bottom