• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • submitbytyping

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    I'm interested in a 9mm in SA/DA with hi-cap for in the woods plinking.

I've considered most of the options out there but to give you an idea of my thoughts: my back-up plan is either the CZ P07 or forgoing the whole plastic thing and getting a very affordable S&W 5906.

I'm very ok with safety devices on my handgun. The additional money for the SIGs or HKs doesn't seem worth it to me, but they are still under consideration if I thought it was worth the additional cost.

Other then just shoot them all and buy the one you like, anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance!

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I had an FNX-9 and didnt care much for it. It didnt fit me very good, the balance felt weird (top heavy), and the safety/decocker felt flimsy. Also there just isnt much out there for them and finding accesories proved nearly impossible.

If I were you I would look into a CZ-75 compact if you want a safety or a P-01 if you want a decocker. I like the P-07 but Im not much for plastic guns. Or you could look into a good used Sig like a police trade in for about the same price.

joshualee49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Gas City, Indiana
    You can't go wrong with a 5906\6906 S&W series. Tried and true and very affordable.

I had an FNP-9 that I loved. No experience with the FNX but FN is also a very solid firearm.

$ for $ I would go with the S&W for general plinking. You can buy quite a bit of 9mm ammo to shoot with the $ you save over an FN.

S&W has your decocker and mag disconnect. Also has double strike capability which is nice IMO. My FN had the decocker but no mag disconnect. Not sure about the FNX variants...

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'd think, but don't know that accessories (holsters, etc) would be a pain to find.

Do you have a gun you carry now? Do you intend to potentially carry this gun at some point?

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    FN guns are the worst of the current polymer crop.

I totally disagree with that statement. Exactly what do you base that statement on? You think that Hi Points and Taurus are better guns than the FNH line?

I only own a FNP9 but its high quality, reliable, very accurate and a pleasure to shoot. There are not that many polymer counterparts out there that I would take in trade for it.

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    Hang it up dont buy one.. buy your self a kahr T9.. :) fun for plinking and the safety is you... seriously note though i have enjoyed shooting FN products.. however if you want a true plinker go witg the fn p90 :) you will be glad you did... nifty gun

I dont care for "safetys" one more thing to fumble with in the moment of true need..

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I'll talk you out of it, because I talked myself out of it!

#1 problem: Magazine cannot be simply slammed in, it falls out! Google it...
    #2 issue: High bore axis, does it have more recoil than M&P? Most likely, unless it is heavier I suspect.
    #3 issue: It is tall and large, so difficult to conceal.
    #4 issue: Difficult to find holsters and accessories.
    #5 issue: Over $500.

On the bright side, it is reported to be extremely accurate, have a great trigger and would make a great range gun. I buy my guns for self defense though, and practice at the range with the same weapons. M&P and Glock don't have the deficiencies above, and M&P's are a lot cheaper. I also second the advice to checkout CZ's.
    :twocents:

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I had an FNX-9 and didnt care much for it. It didnt fit me very good, the balance felt weird (top heavy), and the safety/decocker felt flimsy. Also there just isnt much out there for them and finding accesories proved nearly impossible.

If I were you I would look into a CZ-75 compact if you want a safety or a P-01 if you want a decocker. I like the P-07 but Im not much for plastic guns. Or you could look into a good used Sig like a police trade in for about the same price.

+! I had the same experience with the FN. I would second the recommendation for the CZs and add that if you don't like the rail on the P01 take a look at the 75 PCR compact.

submitbytyping

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    well you guys did it. Thanks to everyone who took the time to post - your opinions were appreciated. I opted for a 5906 from CDNN. They have VG-Excellents listed on the front page of their new (2012-3) catalog. Got an extra mag (30$) and with shipping (20) ran me about 400. I pick it up next week.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    You will like your new to you 5906, they are great pistols and built like a tank. I had to get use to mine with the double/single action and mag disconnect.

Dave

Dsgnr_81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    Pendleton Indiana
    FN guns are the worst of the current polymer crop.

I'd like to see what evidence you've got to support that statement.

I've had good experience with FN firearms for years. I currently own an FNX-9. Got it for a reasonable price, and I like it. I had to adjust my shooting grip ever so slightly to adjust for the safety lever. Other than that, it's more accurate than I am, it goes bang each time [post break in of 200 rounds], and it's stylish. Decisions yours to make though. If you would like to try it out, I'm planning on shooting tomorrow afternoon south of Anderson.

nick89302

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    You'll be happy with the 5906. Smith autos are underrated by many simply because they aren't the newest sexiest gun in the case.

Not that the FNX would've been a bad choice, but you won't be disappointed in the S&W.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    I have heard of some frame separation with some of the FN firearms...i really like the action of the firearm but cant ever pull the trigger on a purchase (pun intended) ....i tried to find a pic of the firearms they were showing that had the widened gap between the frame and slide but cant seem to find it...i did find this thread though...also i am not talking you out of getting it because you asked...i have considered buying it/trading for it but decided against it despite the positive aspects about the firearrm which are nice trigger ..like the double action...i think it would possibly be fine but i dont like taking 4-500 chances on things...get a xd or glock or a beretta storm pistol or a sig (not p250) just my 2 cents ..say im wrong or right ..just my opinion
    Yet Another Problem Surfaces With The FNP9/40 Pistol Series: Slide Gouging - The Firing Line Forums

Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    I'm interested in a 9mm in SA/DA with hi-cap for in the woods plinking.

I've considered most of the options out there but to give you an idea of my thoughts: my back-up plan is either the CZ P07 or forgoing the whole plastic thing and getting a very affordable S&W 5906.

I'm very ok with safety devices on my handgun. The additional money for the SIGs or HKs doesn't seem worth it to me, but they are still under consideration if I thought it was worth the additional cost.

Other then just shoot them all and buy the one you like, anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance!

Either one would be a great piece. I've owned each of them. No problems just great shooters. I just can't make myself stay with one gun for extended lengths of time. Sometimes I really regret selling either one of them. Replacement would be a lot more costly.

Top Bottom