• ...and so much more!
  • Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I have a trapdoor and a Pedersoli rolling block much like that of Leadeye's but don't shoot them much.
    No real reason for that other than not having any real distance available to ring them out on. If I found
    a single shot in 38-55 though I may get one of those. The 38-55 is a Ballard cartridge that as far as I know
    was one of the original target cartridges from the 1870's and is the parent of the 30-30 so there is some
    history there.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    1000007883.jpg

These are all single shot, two of them Sharps, top one is a original made in 1880 trapdoor carbine. The bottom one is 54 caliber takes paper cartridges, the middle one is 45-70.

The Trapdoor carbine I found nestled in between a couple of really beat up rifles at a shop in Gettysburg. It had been part of an estate sale that they bought and while it really didn't fit in with the theme of their shop which was either Revolutionary War or the Civil War, they went ahead and put it out on the racks. It had been sitting in a closet for the better part of 80 years. The bore is perfect and it shoots fantastic

The middle one is a Chiappa. It's well made, accurate and I've never had any issues out of it. The 54 caliber Sharps is a Pedersoli. They make very quality Sharps variants.

Clearly Shiloh is the best when it comes to the single shot breech loaders, and they command a premium.

45-70 is easy to reload. You can do reduced loads with powder like IMR 4198 you can also use Shooters World Buffalo rifle powder which is an excellent powder for the 45-70 and they also have Shooters World black which is a black powder substitute that doesn't require the soapy water cleaning like black powder does. Shooting reduced loads is really fun in the 45-70 and if you do your part you can hit steel out to 200 yards with it.

The Chiappa will run you about $1,100, the Pedersoli anywhere from $1200 to almost $2,000 depending on what model you decide with.

I had a 34 inch barreled Pedersoli Sharps, but I really never had the place to shoot it to stretch its legs. So I got rid of it. I like the military aspect of the Sharps carbines, so that's what I stick with.

I reload my own and even cast my own bullet. It's super easy

These are some of my most favorite guns to shoot.

Last edited:

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Very good, All the big moulds that I have in 45 are also postells from 520 to 540 depending on what alloy I use. A fe are bore riders that were made just for those bpcr rifles including the Steve Brooks that I have. They have huge throats that with the 70 and 90 I can easily leave a lube and driving band outside of the case and easily still chamber them in a somewhat dirty chamber. The bore riders need at least a 5 rd quick clean and a blow tube between shots.
    I Goex Chartridge In them, I have about half a case of it left. I don't know what I will use if I finish what I have left.
    In my 1886's I shoot smokeless and 350? grain bulk Winchester jacketed that Midway sold long ago.
    I had 2 bore rider molds. Did some shooting with them and never got the accuracy I was looking for, sold them.
    It may very well have been me and my lack of loading development. Life got in the way with 3 daughters.

Have to get the BPCR out again and have another go at it.

Still loads of fun.

Don

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I had 2 bore rider molds. Did some shooting with them and never got the accuracy I was looking for, sold them.
    It may very well have been me and my lack of loading development. Life got in the way with 3 daughters.

Have to get the BPCR out again and have another go at it.

Still loads of fun.

Don
    I searched for a bullet that I could shoot a dozen or so accurate rounds through them with just using a blow tube.
    I found just about what I was looking for with a Brooks mold. And yes, life can get in the way as a parent.
    They are lots of fun.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Posted above on .45-70 rifles I own and shoot but if I could only have one it would be a Browning High Wall converted from a .40-65 to a .38-55. The .38-55 will do as good as the .45-70 to 500 yards. It shoots much softer on your shoulder. A 100 round .45-70 will leave you shoulder black and blue the .38-55 won't. Most areas in Indiana won't let you get a 1000 yard shoot but 500 yards is possible.

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Posted above on .45-70 rifles I own and shoot but if I could only have one it would be a Browning converted from a .40-65 to a .38-55. The .38-55 will do as good as the .45-70 to 500 yards. It shoots much softer on your shoulder. A 100 round .45-70 will leave you shoulder black and blue the .38-55 won't. Most areas in Indiana won't let you get a 1000 yard shoot but 500 yards is possible.
    I've shot a 110+ in a day from my Browning bpcr in 45-70 shooting black, with minimal bruising.
    What I haven't done, is the same with the 45-90 Creedmoor 45-90. That would be a hurtful event for me.

I've never shot my 40-65, but I have shot a friend's. It's way more comfortable to shoot. I recall seeing more than one rolling block on the line shooting 38-55.

Do you load black or smokless?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

I've been looking at one of these for some time now. Haven't pulled the trigger because I'm wanting one I can handload the more powerful modern 45-70 loads for. Would this handle that?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

I've been looking at one of these for some time now. Haven't pulled the trigger because I'm wanting one I can handload the more powerful modern 45-70 loads for. Would this handle that?
    Like Ruger's, Sharps, Modern Browning/ Winchester Highwalls and Browning / Winchester 1886's can shoot?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Yes basically a 300gr bullet at around or close to 2500fps. IIRC thats around 40,000psi.
    What does CVA say?

Lots of people shoot loads in break opens that I would never consider using in those rifles.
    I know from personal experience its no fun to blow up a high pressure firearm. I evaporated a 10 1/2" Super Black in 44 mag, blew the cylinder in half, broke the frame under the rear sight and split the frame when the barrel screws into it. I've posted pics of it here before.
    Myself, I'm going to stick with Trap Door loads, if I ever did buy a break open.
    I'm just not a believer in the strength of those actions.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    What does CVA say?

Lots of people shoot loads in break opens that I would never consider using in those rifles.
    I know from personal experience its no fun to blow up a high pressure firearm. I evaporated a 10 1/2" Super Black in 44 mag, blew the cylinder in half, broke the frame under the rear sight and split the frame when the barrel screws into it. I've posted pics of it here before.
    Myself, I'm going to stick with Trap Door loads, if I ever did buy a break open.
    I'm just not a believer in the strength of those actions.
    That's what I wanted to hear. Just wanted to be sure about this, also why I've been putting it off until I found out more about it.

Top Bottom