• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Smoke detectors are pretty useless around my house too. Except for that annoying bastard in the kitchen...;)

I don't think you really need them. We should...
    :rolleyes:

Oklahoma Man Charged With Murder in Beheading - ABC News
    The company's chief operating officer, Mark Vaughan, a reserve sheriff's deputy in Oklahoma City, leveled a rifle at Nolen and fired, striking him once and stopping the attack.
    What we know about Alton Nolen, who has been charged with murder in the Oklahoma beheading case - The Washington Post
    Nolen then attacked 43-year-old Traci Johnson, another employee, before he was stopped by the company’s chief operating officer, Mark Vaughan. Vaughan, a reserve deputy with the Oklahoma County Sheriff’s Department, shot Nolen with a rifle, stopping the attack.

Apparently you think I was being sarcastic.

More diversionary tactics - keep insisting that I am against preping, against rifles, and even against carry because I am sugesting something more practical. Can we have an adult debate sir, instead of being passive agressive?

Thank you at least, for finding those links for us.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...I am suggesting something more practical...

I haven't run the exact numbers sir, but it appears that your "practical" is somewhat different from the thoughts of the majority here?
    No one is attacking you, only your argument. No call for your insinuation of less than adult behavior. :nono:

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    In the end the OP will make his choice and none of our opinions will matter. And they shouldn't matter. The OP needs to use his cranium and think things through and make decisions for himself. When he does his reasons will be much more weighty and make sense to him in a very real way.
    A feller should know why he carries a rifle in his vehicle. And be prepared to deal with all the circumstances listed previously in regards to LEO stops or accidents or whatever. The inability to properly deal with certain situations and the ramifications of that inability should motivate you.
    Make up your mind buddy and get on down the road. I wish you the best.

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    A feller should know why he carries a rifle in his vehicle. And be prepared to deal with all the circumstances listed previously in regards to LEO stops or accidents or whatever. The inability to properly deal with certain situations and the ramifications of that inability should motivate you.
    Make up your mind buddy and get on down the road. I wish you the best.

[video=youtube;YLi9L3nw3no]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLi9L3nw3no[/video]

ETA:
    The last I heard, this guy was seeking donations to help pay his legal fees.

Last edited:

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    I haven't run the exact numbers sir, but it appears that your "practical" is somewhat different from the thoughts of the majority here?
    No one is attacking you, only your argument. No call for your insinuation of less than adult behavior. :nono:

Apparently so...

How is a handgun or PDW LESS practical to carry than a rifle? Thats what they were both designed for, and thats what I'm suggesting.

Makes me think people are jumping to the keyboard without reading my posts.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Apparently so...

How is a handgun or PDW LESS practical to carry than a rifle? Thats what they were both designed for, and thats what I'm suggesting.

Makes me think people are jumping to the keyboard without reading my posts.

Maybe I was mistaken? My assumption is that everyone has a handgun all the time. The rifle would always be in addition to, not instead of. The same as the decision to leave the rifle where ever necesary could be made, with totally unarming yourself.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Hey guys, I've been thinking about this for awhile now. Im one of those guys who will work up to 150ish miles away from home making deliveries, marketing, and doing sales. I often contemplate if I should take my S&W MP15t with me while on the road. This is my SHTF rifle, and is my best shooter. It has a sling, red dot, and magpul flip up sights. Its set up to be carried with the single point sling.

So basically my question is should I carry this on my longer trips where if some MAJOR SHTF happened (emp, nuke attack, random terrorist cell uprisings)? I realize these are the worst scenarios, but are the ones that I'm unsure of because I might not be able to drive back home. I might have to hoof it a good part of the ways, which could take upwards of a week. I can just add a chest rig when I'm on the road and carry my G22 with it (which I usually have anyways). This would be the weapon of choice where society isn't at its finest times.

Or would a better option be to just carry the trusty ole 870 12ga with a slug barrel on it and then a belt of ammo with a mix of buckshot and slugs? this would probably end up being a lighter/easier to carry combo than the chest rig with the G22 and extra AR mags. I would also keep some birdshot for hunting as well if need be.

I would just like your guys' input on what you would do in my situation and what you do if you have a similar situation. Also, communication would likely be down if a major situation like those happened. How are you prepared to alert your family of your status if you could not get through on a cell phone? My routes are pre-planned, so should I think about a pick up location if that was a viable option? I do not want my family out anywhere but the house, but also would feel responsible if anything should happen that I did not make it back quick enough.

Keep in mind also I will have some major cities in my way possibly. I can avoid them but in these situations time will be of the essence. The cities would most likely be Bloomington, Terre Haute, Indy, and Evansville. This might affect what I need to carry. Also, with my GHB, should I try to keep it as light as possible to make maximum time? Or go with heavier in case I had to hunker down in an area for a day or 2?

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys might have.

First, if you're walking 150 miles one way, you're not doing that in a day so like many said food, water, shelter, good footwear etc. Secondly, while your gone the family should have whatever it needs. The only reason you'd be walking that is if everyone else in that state and surrounding state was probably walking as well. Odds are slim of that ever happening, but if it did by that second or third day when you see a ground hog in a field on your walk he's going to look tasty and a rifle would be handy.

I don’t keep a rifle in the truck because of the things I can think of, I keep it in the vehicle for the things I wouldn’t have thought of. Also, I can easily say if pulled over that yes officer I have a rifle in a little bag. It’s broken down in two sections and there’s two or three mags in the pouches on the outside of the bag. I have this with me in case my wife says she’s taking the kids somewhere tonight with one of her friends and I can go shooting with mine. It saves me a trip home and I’ll have more time with friends. That’s also the reason why I have the ear & eye protection. I’m not really concerned about why I’d have to explain why I’ve got a rifle in my car to anyone.

The old saying rings true, “I’d rather have one and not need it than need it and not have it”.
    If my rifle gets stolen then that just sucks. There’s no way around that, but I’ll feel better filling out the police & insurance reports and giving them the serial number immediately so the thief can be caught and then I claim it on my insurance. That’s life, if my property gets stolen I’ll continue to drive on. Since I carry every day, I’ll still be armed so it’s a financial loss on the deductible, but then it becomes another excuse to build another rifle just the way I think the perfect truck gun should be.

Here’s a video of a discreet bag that looks like a sissy little flute case. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q4YoT-Iq3c It’s discreet, but if you’ve already got a backpack in your vehicle then empty the contents of the discreet bag into you GHB. This gives you options.

Personally, I don’t see the need for a chest rig because I like the complete grey man look. My shirts have pockets, my pants have pockets. I don’t have to get dressed up all full Rambo looking to rapidly reload my rifle if need be. There’s an advantage of having a rain jacket that’s too big for you and has lots of pockets. It’s an option.

I think the responses are getting a little too hung up on “what specific rifle” or getting on the soapbox about what their favorite rifle is. It doesn’t matter. If you want something tiny here’s a video of a fold up 9mm rifle making hits at just over 400 yards https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wXFf34bB34. That’d work. AK’s or AR’s or a slingshot, whatever is legal and gives you a warm fuzzy feeling is just fine.

The rifle in my truck is pretty close to a first aid kit full of stuff I hope I never have to use. It’s in a vehicle that has seatbelts that I’m mandated by law to wear for the situation I hope will never happen. Heck, it’s even got airbags and a robotic little onstar voice just in case something unexpected happens. Having a rifle with you isn’t a bad idea.

For sales guys though another situation you have to be concerned about is what your customers policy is on that kind of thing parked on their property. If you’re working for someone else and they loose a big customer over you having a gun in the car and the customer being offended by it you could loose your job. In my world, loosing your job is a big SHTF moment.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Maybe I was mistaken? My assumption is that everyone has a handgun all the time. The rifle would always be in addition to, not instead of. The same as the decision to leave the rifle where ever necesary could be made, with totally unarming yourself.

Well, the OP mentioned that he carries a G22 already, but then mentions carrying an 870 and a bandolier instead, or an AR15 and chest rig in addition to the AR.

I definately think he should keep ahold of the Glock regardless.

Then we have people posting incidents like the Oklahoma case as evidence for a rifle in the car ... in a case where the good guy was apparently unarmed until he left the area, armed himself, and returned. The good guys came out on top in the end, but I cant help buy wonderd if things could have turned out better if the guy was ALREADY armed with a pistol on his person, or in a bag close at hand.

What my possition boils down to is that whatever you have back in your car should be sedondary or tertiary - anything you are counting on to save your butt needs to be at hand, not locked up or dissasembled out in the car.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Did I miss the guy's vehicle? Watched 30 seconds of that video. I suppose you think the LEO was in the right as he snatched the guys rifle. Did he do the right thing? Not so sure there. He very easily could have asked the man to un sling the rifle so that he could lean it against the car while he checked out the guys ID and everything. Had ZERO reason to grab it from the guy.

Do they have a law against carrying a long gun in public where this occurred?

I thought you were done with this thread?

That video has nothing to do with what the OP was talking about.
    Give it a rest.

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    Did I miss the guy's vehicle? Watched 30 seconds of that video. I suppose you think the LEO was in the right as he snatched the guys rifle. Did he do the right thing? Not so sure there. He very easily could have asked the man to un sling the rifle so that he could lean it against the car while he checked out the guys ID and everything. Had ZERO reason to grab it from the guy.

Do they have a law against carrying a long gun in public where this occurred?

I thought you were done with this thread?

That video has nothing to do with what the OP was talking about.
    Give it a rest.

I posted the video in support of your post.
    I'm sorry that you (or anyone else) didn't see the similarities between the OPs scenario and the man hiking with an AR for no apparent reason.
    My point for posting was to illustrate how the potential, and more likely, consequences outweigh IMO the reason for taking it.
    Regardless of whether or not the LEO was justified, the simple fact is that it was the AR that caused it and the man has to deal with the consequences.
    It was an expensive error in judgement.

My issue lies in trying to justify packing a battle rifle for a day's outing with outlandish and fantastic reasons. If you want to take the AR just say so, don't try to convince yourself that it's because S will HTF so badly while you're out for the day that the rifle will be necessary and your handgun won't be enough.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Its not about convincing myself of anything. Its about being able to get through situations that may be fantastic or outlandish. Nobody is telling you you have to carry a rifle. Don't do it. Nobody here needs to justify their reasons to you.
    If a guy wants to carry a rifle so he can return fire at the ISIS squad that just emptied out of a U-haul van in front of him at the mall then he should go get that rifle and the mags and store them under the seat of his truck. AND MORE POWER TO HIM!

If he wants to carry a rifle to help him get home if there is an EMP or solar flare that kills our electrical grid for the imminent future then good on him. I think you just don't believe anything that could necessitate carrying a rifle to get you home could ever happen. Other folks may have their eyes open a bit more than you and possibly they see things with a bit more clarity than you do. Or perhaps to them the consequences of not being able to get home to defend their families is just too much to even consider so they are doing everything they can to reduce that possibility.

Its all normal life 'til its no longer normal life. The world is a dangerous place and everything is good until its not.

All the bullfeathers aside A RIFLE IS STILL THE BEST TOOL FOR THE JOB IF YOU HAVE TO SHOOT SOMEBODY!!! Thats why soldiers are sent into combat with them. Hopefully none of us will ever have to shoot anybody but if I do I hope I have a rifle.

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    I'd rather have it and not need it than to not have it and need it. A 16" AR wile break down and fit in most decent size hiking type backpacks. Keep it in the backpack and keep your pistol on you and accessible with a spare magazine. You could walk anywhere you wanted and nobody would know its in there. The 10/22 breakdown would be great also. Throw in some water bottles and quick easy snacks and a few other goodies and call it good. I wouldnt care what others think if you have there is the slightest chance that you think could possibly need it.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Thanks for the input guys. It's just a different decision I'm having to make. Attention was one of my concerns. But I also feel that in one of these situations a man walking around with a rifle won't be an uncommon sight. But also makes me a target. And I would always have my G22 on me, but unfortunately for me I get to visit our gun loving friends to the west of us from time to time. So that's why it is usually and not always.

If you're still paying attention (it looks like you might have given up on this thread over a week ago...I can't imagine why :rolleyes:), I would suggest that someone in your position (occasionally visiting IL) consider getting an IL non-resident permit, as I agree that the G22 should be always, if at all possible.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I'd rather have it and not need it than to not have it and need it. A 16" AR wile break down and fit in most decent size hiking type backpacks. Keep it in the backpack and keep your pistol on you and accessible with a spare magazine. You could walk anywhere you wanted and nobody would know its in there.

I think that's the entire point most folks "against" the idea were making - be low profile and inconspicuous, two things a guy carrying a long gun most certainly are not.

Something concealed in a pack or bag, be it an AR pistol, SBR or broken down carbine? Rock on with your bad self.

DWS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Sheridan
    I was recently engaged in a conversation about this vary same type of thing in another forum. Breaking down what you have with you when your varying distances away from home base.

I am currently contemplating a new EDC since the HH6 took over my sub compact. I'm on the fence as to what I should get but am currently eyeing a few G19's. I'm on the fence because funds are limited and I would also like to buy a BUG for work.

I almost always have my G22 with me / near me in some form or fashion (usually in my bag) but have been lax in making sure I have something "on" me and I'm done with that.

When I am at work I have most the tools I need at my disposal:

Duty Belt and related items (Including CAT)
    Spyderco Citadel Auto in pocket
    Shotgun in the truck
    Go bag sits behind my head in the back seat. It contains:

Resupply for the shotty to include Buck, Slugs and 25 meter super socks.
    4 mags for G22
    2 Flashlights (Surefire and a Mini-mag)
    1 CAT and various bandages
    Handful of light sticks
    50 foot of paracord
    Resupply of batteries for my lights
    Another Spyderco
    Benchmade Safety Hook
    Maps of my county and neighboring states
    Some duct tape on a old credit card, other personal items, etc, etc...

The POV Truck has all the other required items for extended trips in a DIY Truck Vault. Cables, Flares, Wrenches, Repair kits for this and that, Blankets, Gloves, etc. Its not securable as far as a locking drawer, so I keep it to items that wouldn't break me if they were stolen.

I recently (with in the last year) have decided that when I do leave for an extended trip back home or elsewhere that puts me outside of my AO that I need to have my carbine with me. My carbine rides in a SOTECH bag and the external pockets house the 5 extra mags for the carbine and 4 more mags for the G22 (soon to change to whatever my EDC ends up being). Attached to the molle on the bag is a fixed blade buck knife of medium size.

This bag when full fits perfectly between the bucket seats of my truck laying down or neatly in the corner of the car's trunk out of the way but with in easy reach along side my work bag.

Last edited:

medcoxo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Indy, Westside
    I say try and blend in, conceal what you have, use a couple pistols, box or two of ammo. You are not wanting to get into a firefight, but avoiding contact and moving on. I am not a fan of open carry, I believe to not show my cards or my hand until it is absolutely necessary.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    With the advent of the Sig brace, I'm not certain why anyone wouldn't carry an AR pistol (unless they already have an AK pistol) for additional protection in an emergency. I tend to carry a "truck gun" which is set up to be carried inconspicuously. I carry one because: 1) I've heard SOCOM military types say the only thing a pistol is good for is to use to get a long gun; 2) More powerful/greater range/higher capacity magazines if needed; 3) Radical Islam Jihadists and Open Borders; 4) a major earthquake will almost certainly disrupt surface transport, causing potentially catastrophic disruptions of food, fuel, and communications throughout a wide area; 5) I can't reasonably carry enough food and water for more than a day or two, so if I get stranded somewhere I'll have to search for my own food/water anyway - a pistol isn't as effective tool for taking larger animals as a rifle; neither is it as effective (for most of us) as a battle-rifle-caliber weapon; 6) I've BEEN stranded away from home several times over the years.

As Rhino said upthread, Risk Management doesn't consist of just calculating the chances of a particular incident happening; you must also calculate the potential effects of that incident if it does happen. I don't mind if others don't calculate the odds in the same way or with the same results as I do; live and let die. I am satisfied with my preparations and the calculus I've used to arrive at my choices.

Top Bottom