• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    Hello, We are planning a family trip to the East coast and possibly Montreal. I know that I can not take more normal EDC, but I was thinking I might be able to take a shotgun. Mostly we will be staying in Airbnb and I would like something for night protection. Has anyone ever done this? What paperwork would I need? Thanks in advance.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm sure Canada has gotten worse. MUCH worse.

Just enjoy the trip. Its Canada, not Mexico.

I go up there annually. The worst thing that has ever happened to me is somebody dared to not be polite to me. lol

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    There used to be a process if you were taking a gun to go hunting in Canada, but you have to PROVE that your going hunting there.

This will be different then the process for moving guns over the road to Alaska.

And taking a gun for protection is no no

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Hello, We are planning a family trip to the East coast and possibly Montreal. I know that I can not take more normal EDC, but I was thinking I might be able to take a shotgun. Mostly we will be staying in Airbnb and I would like something for night protection. Has anyone ever done this? What paperwork would I need? Thanks in advance.
    Beemer...I'm having trouble getting straight answers, too.

I'm planning a trip to AK, through Canada and decided to call the 1-800-731-4000 Canadian Firearms Program helpline for clarification on firearms/weapons. The representative I spoke with was appalled at the fact I considered taking ANY (even non-restricted) firearm through Canada. She said I'm not able to bring any firearm of any sort. She added that no bear spray is allowed either. You must buy it in Canada. She went on to say that the Canadian website information is outdated and incorrect. Geesh.

I'm skeptical, as this information runs counter to all the online info I've seen from the Canadian government and others that have first-hand experience crossing the border. Perhaps things have changed since 2022 (recent firearms laws), though. I'm just not sure yet.

If I Iearn more, I'll share.

Last edited:

GourdOnTheDoor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2022
    Noblesville

I'm planning a trip to AK, through Canada and decided to call the 1-800-731-4000 Canadian Firearms Program helpline for clarification on firearms/weapons. The representative I spoke with was appalled at the fact I considered taking ANY (even non-restricted) firearm through Canada. She said I'm not able to bring any firearm of any sort. She added that no bear spray is allowed either. You must buy it in Canada. She went on to say that the Canadian website information is outdated and incorrect. Geesh.

I'm skeptical, as this information runs counter to all the online info I've seen from the Canadian government and others that have first-hand experience crossing the border. Perhaps things have changed since 2022 (recent firearms laws), though. I'm just not sure yet.

Those Canadians are always called so "nice" but they are always hating on our freedoms. We should be given a path to Alaska that you can safely and legally transport firearms, obviously would never happen but what the heck. I have always wanted to go to Alaska and knowing i couldn't bring a gun kinda craps on that dream

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington

Thank you

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Those Canadians are always called so "nice" but they are always hating on our freedoms. We should be given a path to Alaska that you can safely and legally transport firearms, obviously would never happen but what the heck. I have always wanted to go to Alaska and knowing i couldn't bring a gun kinda craps on that dream
    There is a way, but it involves using a Car Ferry.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    That works until the random screening. :nailbite:
    Prison wallet! Maybe that's why the Canadians used to have that law restricting handguns with anything less than a 4" barrel :naughty:!

Seriously interested in the outcome of this thread, though, as we're planning a road trip to AK in 2025, and we'll be camping the whole way up there and back, plus while we're there. I'd really like to be able to take something, even if it's just an 870. It sucks that we have to go through there...beautiful country with great people, especially in the rural areas, but stupid politicians and laws.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Prison wallet! Maybe that's why the Canadians used to have that law restricting handguns with anything less than a 4" barrel :naughty:!

Seriously interested in the outcome of this thread, though, as we're planning a road trip to AK in 2025, and we'll be camping the whole way up there and back, plus while we're there. I'd really like to be able to take something, even if it's just an 870. It sucks that we have to go through there...beautiful country with great people, especially in the rural areas, but stupid politicians and laws.
    Yeah, Ive lost a LOT of respect for them in the past 20 years. I used to consider them "America Lite" with a few more restrictions than us, but overall not a bad place. Now in my mind they are edging closer and closer to a freedom hating 3rd world "dicktatership".

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Maybe some creative interior work in places that could be overlooked?......asking for a friend....
    You havent been watching that border crossing reality show, and it shows. They're damn good at finding what you dont want them to find.

But dont watch it because it will also just tick you off to no end and remind you how awful our customs folks are.

"Hi, im here for a month on vacation."
    "you arent here to work?"
    "No."
    "How much do you have in the bank? How much do you have on you? Who are you staying with and what is their number?"
    (goes to the back and makes phone calls)
    "Yeah, we saw you wouldnt have enough to live on for a month 'on vacation', and your friend told us you are starting a new job on Monday and dont plan on leaving. And you need a work permit to work here, which you didnt get. So you are being denied entry. Do you want the 4pm flight back to your country or the 8:30 flight? Because you aint staying here."

rbhargan

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2012
    Carmel/Liberty
    Yeah, Ive lost a LOT of respect for them in the past 20 years. I used to consider them "America Lite" with a few more restrictions than us, but overall not a bad place. Now in my mind they are edging closer and closer to a freedom hating 3rd world "dicktatership".
    They have gone just as bat-sh*t crazy as the Australians. Very sad.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    There is a way, but it involves using a Car Ferry.
    Last year, the Alaskan Marine Highway did not run all the way from Bellingham, WA to Seward or Homer, AK.

My BIL has driven a dozen times up and down the Alcan. He says crossing into Canada is a huge exercise in entrapment and harrassment of Americans. NO firearms, No Bear spray, no pepper spray and no knives bigger than a Swiss Army knife.

Yes, you can fill out forms and try to precoordinate taking a firearm into Canada. However, it will result in everything being searched, opened, taken apart and disassembled. Ten hours later, they will finally clear you and give you 15 minutes to load up your vehicle and hit the road. Canadian customs can be very frustrating.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    They were down vessels and crews over the summer.

But, what you usually have to do is take Bellingham to Juneau, stay over, then take another from Juneau to Whittier
    I was in Whittier last summer and talked to some harbor workers about the ferries. They are looking forward to the entire Alaskan Marine Highway getting staffed and back on schedule.

Top Bottom