• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Just curious, but as the holidays are now behind us I've noticed that the seed catalogues are showing up in my mailbox and that got me thinking about our garden . . . anyone else into gardening?

We didn't plant anything last year because we spent a good deal of the summer in the UK traveling, this year I have plans to go back to planting about an acre and a half. But doing it much differently than I have in the past. While I tend to garden on a much larger scale than some, I know others who have gardens that make mine look tiny (and they sell their excess at Farmers Markets for profit).

But even city dwellers with balconies on their apartments can do container gardens, suburban dwellers on 1/4 acre lots can actually stretch their food budgets a VERY LONG way by putting in a modest size garden and inter-planting edible shrubs into their landscape. Blueberry bushes, bush type cherries and 'dwarf' fruit trees can easily be planted in small yards adjacent to your wife's roses, petunias and marigolds.

Container gardens can be tiny, but still very productive and provide bushels of tomatoes, piles of strawberries and baskets of peppers.

If you have a spade, a garden fork, a hose and some ground it is very inexpensive to get a garden started. In fact it is IDEAL for those folks on limited incomes or who may be at risk of losing their jobs in an economic downturn because the cost of seed packets is usually about $1, often less, sometimes a bit more, but a packet of seeds can produce a crop that is often more than a family can eat over a couple month time span.

So, anyone else into gardening from the 'practical', 'tactical' or 'survival' point of view? What crops do you plant? Do you practice organic gardening? Do you practice beneficial co-planting (carrots & tomatoes, etc)? Does your family 'can' your harvest? Anyone market garden? What size is your garden? Etc....
    :popcorn:

gage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    underground
    BugOutGarden

1126agh.jpg

gage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    underground
    By not having any land or balcony this is what I came up with. Crops that do well (up to 75 mph) are lettuce, carrots, nasturium, cilantro, basil and other small edible herbs and flowers. Squash is no good. The wire baskets are wrapped in burlap and i used the inverted clay pots to establish seedlings. I used my mobile groceries many times. I harvested about 10 lbs of carrots that season.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Did our first garden last summer with some friends. About 30' X 40'. Was interesting to see was worked well and what did not.

Radishes grew like weeds
    Beans and peas did ok, but we did not stay on top of them and they dried up quickly.
    Tomatoes out the wazoo, but not the best for survival.
    Did not get one pepper out of 10 plants/seeds.
    Pumpkins ok.
    zuchinni ok
    butternut did very well.
    cucumbers not so good.
    Potatoes did ok in the areas that were well drained, others rotted.
    Broc. lots of leaves not much flower.
    Kohlrabi ok
    beets lame.

motion sensored, sprinkler kept the deer at bay for half the garden.

All in all it was good, looking forward to this summer, and getting a better schedule going.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I have been vegetable gardening for many years. We have a fair sized garden for personal use. We have many fruit trees also. The only thing I have been wondering is whether I should switch to only open pollinated varieties rather than hybrids to be able to save seeds forSHTF situation where seeds were no longer available.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    a few from my hood :D

P1020332.JPG

296602747_34533d720f.jpg

actually just pulling your leg because none of my neighbors would waste perfectly good fixtures ;)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The only thing I have been wondering is whether I should switch to only open pollinated varieties rather than hybrids to be able to save seeds forSHTF situation where seeds were no longer available.
    Heirloom vs hybrid is always a tough consideration. In years past, I've tried to use heirlooms, but have kind of gotten away from most of them. The hybrids, in most cases, are so much better and disease resistant.

I have found that a fair alternative to the dilemma may just be buying more good quality seed than you need and storing it properly. This summer, I planted 4 varieties of spinach and peas for the fall garden. 3/4 spinach germinated and 2/4 of the peas. The seed was purchased 11 years ago. Some seeds store better than others. A google search will turn up charts.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Corn, beans, winter squash, potatoes, and onions store well.

Native Americans made much use of corn, beans, and squash.

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    We LOVE to garden!

Let's see... every year we make...
    • Salsa
    • Basil pesto (freezes very well)
    • Freezer pickles
    • Super-sweet corn
    • I can tomatoes but haven't canned anything else since I don't have a pressurecooker (yet).
    This year, since we have a bit more room (moved to a bigger place in August '08) we're going to try raised beds for many of our veggies. We're going to keep the corn and melons in the direct ground, but have raised beds for most everything else. It will sure help when we get older and it gets harder to bend over! I'll attach pix when we get it all set up this Spring. We're in design stages right now and we're expecting it to be spectacular!

I also have a little hothouse that I'll get to use for the first time this Spring. It collapses for storage during the off-season, but in the late winter/early spring we can pop it up and start sewing seeds early. I can't wait to see how well that does. A friend of mine turned me onto it... she starts EVERYthing in her little hothouse.

Every year we plant...
    • Corn
    • Melons (whatever we feel like growing each year)
    • Sugar snap peas
    • Bell peppers (several varieties)
    • Tomatoes (several varieties)
    • Cucumbers
    • Sweet potatoes
    • Green beans
    • Zucchini
    • Squash
    • Hot peppers (jalapeno, cayen, etc.)
    • Cilantro
    • Basil
    • Rosemary
    • other various herbs
    • We usually do one or two veggies that we've never done in the past just for fun.
    I have some great tips for growing gigantic prolific tomato plants too if anyone is interested.

I grow everything as organicly as possible. I don't use pesticides, although I have great alternatives for bug repellants. I don't use fertilizers either.

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Oh, and I have a horse stable right next door... I plan on utilizing that this year too!

Anyone know anything about how much horse poo is safe to use on a garden? Is it so-many-pounds per square yard or something?

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Oh, and I have a horse stable right next door... I plan on utilizing that this year too!

Horse meat is usually tough unless sautéed & simmered for hours ;)

Fresh manure will burn your plants unless aged. I usually compost mine with leaves etc and leave over the winter. If you have access to the older manure take that and you should be fine. I do not know if there is an appropriate mix probably soil dependent. Rabbit manure is far superior for gardening. if available. Tell me about freezer pickles

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Thanks for the heads up on the horse poo sarge. I'll be sure to research it before dumping a load (no pun intended) in the garden.

Well, you make pickles and freeze in plastic containers instead of can. Then you just thaw them out as needed. They're GREAT! I'll try to remember to dig up our favorite recipe tonight.

We've found that freezing is less expensive and less labor intensive than canning. The plastic containers are cheaper than the mason jars and they're stackable. They fit just dandy next to the deer meat!

I still need to get a pressure cooker for beans and stuff though.

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    Last year I used a method called "square foot gardening". I built a 4'x4' box out of 2x6's, lined the bottom with weed fabric, and filled it with all ready fertalized miracle grow plant mix. I also made a panal in the back of it 4' high for my peas, and beans to climb. After filling it I roped off the sections 1'x1', and planted a different crop in each. I planted green beans, peas, carrots, green peppers, jalapenos, tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, and squash. Everything did very well with exception to my carrots, they were in to compact of a space to get to full size, but did get to about 4" in length. My reasoning behind this type of setup was that the dirt around my house is terriable, almost like clay. I plan on doing the exact same thing next year, and adding potatoes, and onions. Hopefully I'll have similar results. My family is small, just my wife, daughter, and myself so the yeild was almost perfect for us. We vaccum sealed a lot we didn't eat, and between that, and the moose of a deer I killed this year we have meat, and veggies till next season. Really takes the edge off the grocery bill ! This is a good method for people in apartments or areas without a large amount of land or crappy dirt like me. This is where I got my start The Official Site of Square Foot Gardening and Mel Bartholomew, Originator and Author

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    We LOVE to garden!

Let's see... every year we make...
    • Salsa
    • Basil pesto (freezes very well)
    • Freezer pickles
    • Super-sweet corn
    • I can tomatoes but haven't canned anything else since I don't have a pressurecooker (yet).
    This year, since we have a bit more room (moved to a bigger place in August '08) we're going to try raised beds for many of our veggies. We're going to keep the corn and melons in the direct ground, but have raised beds for most everything else. It will sure help when we get older and it gets harder to bend over! I'll attach pix when we get it all set up this Spring. We're in design stages right now and we're expecting it to be spectacular!

I also have a little hothouse that I'll get to use for the first time this Spring. It collapses for storage during the off-season, but in the late winter/early spring we can pop it up and start sewing seeds early. I can't wait to see how well that does. A friend of mine turned me onto it... she starts EVERYthing in her little hothouse.

Every year we plant...
    • Corn
    • Melons (whatever we feel like growing each year)
    • Sugar snap peas
    • Bell peppers (several varieties)
    • Tomatoes (several varieties)
    • Cucumbers
    • Sweet potatoes
    • Green beans
    • Zucchini
    • Squash
    • Hot peppers (jalapeno, cayen, etc.)
    • Cilantro
    • Basil
    • Rosemary
    • other various herbs
    • We usually do one or two veggies that we've never done in the past just for fun.
    I have some great tips for growing gigantic prolific tomato plants too if anyone is interested.

I grow everything as organicly as possible. I don't use pesticides, although I have great alternatives for bug repellants. I don't use fertilizers either.

I am sure my wife would love to pick your brain, especially since we live in the same place. She has a friend that does a huge garden but sometimes his info seems different than what we think should work.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Last year I used a method called "square foot gardening".

+1 on the "square foot" or raised bed method. My family of 7 is still eating off the potatoes raised on only 128 sq. ft. of garden space this past summer. And after the potatoes were off, we ate off the green beans planted in the same spot until the frost.

Top Bottom