• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JimFloyd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Copyright 2009 by James M. Floyd, Jr. All rights reserved.

Tactical Decision Games (TDG) are utilized by the military and public safety agencies as a low tech, yet effective, means of experiencing and discussing the practical application of decision making skills to situations.

Below is a TDG I created to stimulate your thinking. To participate, please read the TDG, and then make your decision, based only on the (intentionally limited) information provided, within 10 seconds. Then post a reply stating your decision and your rationale.

The goal of a TDG is not to seek "the only" or "the correct" answer but instead is intended to create a social learning environment, so please do not hesitate to participate. If you find this useful, I will be happy to post additional TDGs.

Here is the scenario:

A Bump in the Night

TIME: 3:07 a.m.

PLACE: Your residence

WEATHER: Cloudy, 58 degrees Fahrenheit

LIGHTING: All interior lights are turned off

SITUATION: You are a legally armed citizen who is in bed asleep when a loud sound awakens you. You procure your firearm and begin to search your residence. As you approach the bathroom you observe that the door is shut and you can see light under the bottom of the door. Suddenly, the door handle begins to turn. [FONT=&quot]

What is your selected course of action? Make a decision within the next 10 seconds.[/FONT]

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    yell "whos there" that way they are identified before the door opens. if they belong there and know me (or most of us i would guess) they know i have a gun on them

jim reped on the good drills

NWIeng

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Hammond
    Train the gun on the door as I have no kids and the fiance still in bed. No friendly's that could have come from any other part of the house.

Then inquire forcefully as to who is in my bathroom.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    As the door opened, I would shine my handheld light at the subject, while I move myself to a more protected area (just behind a corner, low behind a big piece of furniture, etc). Depending on who I saw my actions could then go a couple different ways. If the person is a friendly (my kid getting a glass of water), then I make sure they're OK and proceed back to bed. If it is indeed an intruder, I would verbally challenge with my pistol focused on COM. If they become afraid and want to leave my house, so be it. If they decide to stay they will be ordered down on the ground, face down, and the police will be called by my wife. While we are waiting my wife will gather our two boys into our master bedroom, where she will barracaid them inside with her pistol, just in case he's got "friends" that I'm unaware of.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    My bathrooms have no windows. If someone's in one of them, they came in through a door.

With firearm in hand, I take cover and wait, shielding my eyes. If whoever it is belongs here, I'll see her before she sees me. If it's not a "she", this person is either an invited guest or a trespasser. "GET ON THE GROUND! SPREAD EAGLE! NOW! DON'T MOVE!" With my house layout, there is no possibility of others getting in behind me. My cell phone is next to my pistol, so a call to 911 does not require diverting my attention. Then we wait, with the dispatcher on the phone and my sights on the BG.

Of course, that's if everything goes by my plan. Somehow, I have a sneaking suspicion that situations like this do not normally go as planned.

This is where improvisation comes into play. :dunno:

Blessings,
    Bill

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Well, in my house with two little girls, a loud noise and someone in the bathroom at 0300 means someone is probably puking. I'd check on her and start getting things cleaned up as needed.

Based on the situation as presented, that is the most logical course of action.

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    I would open fire through the door with a PS90 and not stop until all 50 rounds were expended. Then I would go back to sleep.

Jist kidding. In my house the alarm would go off and I would grab the AR with light and investigate. Most likely it will be one of my boys puking as well.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    As I am going out of my bedroom, I check my daughter's room (her door is right by mine) for her presence.Her door stays closed at night,so if she is in the bathroom her door will be open and the bathroom door will be closed. If my daughter is in her bed and my wife is in bed (she will be snoring so I know where she is) I will call out "who is in there" and wait for a response. They only have one exit door from the bathroom and they will have to pass in front of me to get out or stay in there to the cops come.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I position myself between my daughter's bedroom and the door, and point my gun at where I anticipate the center of mass of a target would be any one exits the door.

Reasons:

1) Daughter is a todler, so its likely not her in the bathroom since she can't open doors or reach the light switch yet. Very low probability it was her.

2) I was in bed with my wife before I was awakened. She's still in bed. Can't be her in the bathroom.

3) #1 and #2 means who ever is in the bathroom isn't supposed to be there, since all three of us that live in the house are accounted for, and we didn't have any guests staying with us.

4) My positioning prevents the person from trying to exit through my daughter's room.

5) The direction the bathroom door opens (in) will mean that we'll both see each other at about the same time, and I want the element of surprise.

6) Upon ID of the individual:
    Someone I know - Shout "Don't move, what are you doing in my house."

Someone I don't know - Shout "Don't move" and prepare to fire if any hint of a threat is percieved. If no immediate threat...instruct my wife to call 911. Continue to keep the person contained in the bathroom with gun. Wait for LEO's to arrive to understand why they are in there.

Risks:

Waiting for the door to open to ID the person in the bathroom may decrease any advantage I have.

My positioning would mean that an exchange of gun fire could result in rounds entering my daugthers room.

Asking questions first may result in a fast draw and first shot by the perp.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I would check if Amy is safe before investigating, so I would know if she is there. If she is not there, I would assume it is her in the bathroom and call for her. Otherwise, I would move back to a defensible position, hopefully dark, to reinforce the ruined night vision that the person in the bath room now has. Flashlight up and ready to turn on. Gun in low ready. If the bathroom light stays on after the door is opened, attempt to identify before giving away position by turning on my light. If person is unknown, peg in the face with light and possibly switch to strobe mode and raise gun to cover while I request and explanation.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Lucky for me my bathroom is threw my laundry room so I could simply crouch down behind the dryer, completely hidden from view and wait to see rather it is my son or one of the girls. After making a certain ID, I would jump out roaring at the top of my lungs while flailing my arms about watching the horrified look on their face as I did so. Then after laughing hysterically and pointing my finger at them while they changed their newly urine soaked PJ's I would go back to bed and sleep like a baby. If it were someone who didn't belong in the house, I would from cover. Order don't f*kin move. If they followed instruction from this point they would go to jail. If they fail to follow instruction they will go to the morgue...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    10°17'42.48"N 85°5
    Tactical Decision Games (TDG) are utilized by the military and public safety agencies as a low tech, yet effective, means of experiencing and discussing the practical application of decision making skills to situations.

Below is a TDG I created to stimulate your thinking. To participate, please read the TDG, and then make your decision, based only on the (intentionally limited) information provided, within 10 seconds. Then post a reply stating your decision and your rationale.

The goal of a TDG is not to seek "the only" or "the correct" answer but instead is intended to create a social learning environment, so please do not hesitate to participate. If you find this useful, I will be happy to post additional TDGs.

Here is the scenario:

A Bump in the Night

TIME: 3:07 a.m.

PLACE: Your residence

WEATHER: Cloudy, 58 degrees Fahrenheit

LIGHTING: All interior lights are turned off

SITUATION: You are a legally armed citizen who is in bed asleep when a loud sound awakens you. You procure your firearm and begin to search your residence. As you approach the bathroom you observe that the door is shut and you can see light under the bottom of the door. Suddenly, the door handle begins to turn. [FONT=&quot]

What is your selected course of action? Make a decision within the next 10 seconds.[/FONT]

Tell them to flush and make sure the lid is down or else my wife will be pissed!!

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Listen for the dog. If she's flipping out, bad things are about to happen. If not, then I'll go check on which ever kid is having problems. Both of my kids have been known to get up to go potty in the middle of the night. They've got a bathroom just outside their bedrooms, and I have to walk past the half bath to get to the rest of the house. I doubt very seriously I'd even bring a firearm if the dog was still snoozing or trotting along beside me wanting to go out.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    10°17'42.48"N 85°5
    Being serious now. Given the fact that the interior lights are turned off, and the bad guy has obiously spent some time in a lighted room, once he leaves the lighted room his eyes will have to adjust to the total darkness. MY ADVANTAGE.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    My bathrooms have no windows. If someone's in one of them, they came in through a door.

With firearm in hand, I take cover and wait, shielding my eyes. If whoever it is belongs here, I'll see her before she sees me. If it's not a "she", this person is either an invited guest or a trespasser. "GET ON THE GROUND! SPREAD EAGLE! NOW! DON'T MOVE!" With my house layout, there is no possibility of others getting in behind me. My cell phone is next to my pistol, so a call to 911 does not require diverting my attention. Then we wait, with the dispatcher on the phone and my sights on the BG.

Of course, that's if everything goes by my plan. Somehow, I have a sneaking suspicion that situations like this do not normally go as planned.

This is where improvisation comes into play. :dunno:

Blessings,
    Bill

Just remember, improvised responses work best when they're well planned in advance. ;)

I keep a flashlight in the safe with my "nightstand gun" (need to think about keeping my cell there at night too, thanks for the idea, Bill--repped, or would be but I have to share the love first).

The plan would be as follows:

1) On hearing the noise, first check: is wife in bed? If no, it's almost certainly her so we're good.

2) If wife is in bed, get gun and flashlight. Move to bedroom door. From there, I can see the door to the bathroom. I can also tell from that position if my daughter is in bed.

3) If daughter is in bed, we have a "situation."

3a) Note that I would go no farther than my daughter's bedroom (to get her back to the bedroom with my wife) so would not approach bathroom door closely.

4) Whoever comes out of the bathroom (in the currently specified situation) gets an immediate flashlight beam in the face. An order to freeze, drop to the floor, and spreadeagle would follow.

5) Anything other than immediate compliance would produce unfortunate results.

6) Once the individual is on the floor--whether through compliance with verbal order or otherwise--(I would not approach him), have wife call 911.

7) Wait for the police.

Normally, the call to the police would go as soon as I have confirmed that it is highly likely that an unauthorized person is in the house. However, in the given situation there really isn't time for that.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    If the alarm is going off, then I know it's not one of the kids. As I'm moving to the bathroom, I'm checking the bedrooms to make sure the kids are there. My children's bedroom is directly across the hall from the bathroom. That's where I will be with my gun trained at the door. When the door opens, the intruder has two options: 1. stay in the bathroom and wait for the police to come arrest him, or 2. take one step out of the bathroom and wait for the coroner to come get him.

Rlee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    Rack the Mossberg and take cover on a wall and call out "Announce yourself or be shot".

If someone is in my house that I don't know about then the Shoot first, ask later though process will be hard to stop. No kids, no over nighters, only me and the old lady which would wake me if she got out of bed and if I have the gun in my possesion I'll know where she is before I had got this far.

Flintlock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Southeastern Indiana
    Use the door frames which are near all the bathrooms in my house as partial cover and have the surefire ready to blaze into their eyes and my pistol trained on the door as soon as they open it. I'll take them by suprise, but will not shoot until I am sure of the target and what danger they pose.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    My house is x10 enabled so the first that happens before I leave the bedroom is all lights in the house get turned on. I would take cover, or more accurately probably concealment off to the side and inquire who's inside. We do have kids so it could be one of them.

Top Bottom