• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    Looking to purchase a tactical light for my ak47. I don't want to spend more than $50, but want something reliable. Does not need to have pressure switch, I can pick that up later. I know the TLR's and things like that are nice, but I would rather spend the extra money on training ammo! I just need something that works in a up close environment, say 50yds max. Any suggestions?

PS I do have a quad rail so plenty of mounting options.

thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    Pass on the airsoft-quality UTG stuff.

Will this light be used mostly outdoors or indoors? Some lights are WAY too bright for indoor use.

How is your handguard currently configured? Do you have any pictures of it?

I know utg may not have been know for more than airsoft, but they are coming out with great quality "real" gun items. My quadrail is a utg and is excellent. I am not against utg with their newer lines.

That being said, more of indoor use, but it will see some outdoor action.

Here is the way it is set up now...

DSC00611.jpg

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    StreamLight Polytac LED and a Viking mount. Mine has held up to probably 1,500 rounds on my AK. That's also firing with the light on. I for one hate the tail caps on Surefire's.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    My quadrail is a utg and is excellent.

Have you ever used any other brand of rails?

With a 4-railed handguard like that you have lots of options for mounting a light. As U.S. Patriot pointed out, the VTAC mount with a PolyTac LED is a great setup. For me the offset mount positions the light well, and having something 100-200 lumens means its bright enough for moderate outdoor use, but not so bright that it blinds me in a room. That particular combo is also priced right at ~$25 for the mount plus ~$35 for the light. :yesway:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...urefire_g2led_vs_streamlight_polytac_led.html

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    Was it this exact model or a different model? Please check the model numbers and let me know, thanks in advance?
    Not the exact same model, mine did not have the integrated rail mount on it. With that experience I still would not trust it. :dunno:
    I would save my pennies and get something different myself.

I too am not willing to shell out $300 on a light, but lower priced units are available that perform good. Look into Fenix lights.

arbys1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    50 yards of threat identifiable light would take quite abit of lumens. Probably no less than 200. Also capable of withstanding centerfire rifle recoil. For under $50. That's a tall glass to fill. I do commend you for wanting to allocate your funds for training insted of the light saber of your dreams. Maybe ask your instructor what their recommendation would be. But $50 is a lot to bet your life on. Remember if a high power weapon light fails mid string in total darkness you will also be temporarily blinded aswell.

thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    Have you ever used any other brand of rails?

With a 4-railed handguard like that you have lots of options for mounting a light. As U.S. Patriot pointed out, the VTAC mount with a PolyTac LED is a great setup. For me the offset mount positions the light well, and having something 100-200 lumens means its bright enough for moderate outdoor use, but not so bright that it blinds me in a room. That particular combo is also priced right at ~$25 for the mount plus ~$35 for the light. :yesway:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...urefire_g2led_vs_streamlight_polytac_led.html

Yes I have used other rail systems (on AR's) and have no complaint about any of them.

I will look closely into this type of set-up $60-$70 is reasonable, just can't/won't pay $300 for a light.

Thanks!!!

thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    50 yards of threat identifiable light would take quite abit of lumens. Probably no less than 200. Also capable of withstanding centerfire rifle recoil. For under $50. That's a tall glass to fill. I do commend you for wanting to allocate your funds for training insted of the light saber of your dreams. Maybe ask your instructor what their recommendation would be. But $50 is a lot to bet your life on. Remember if a high power weapon light fails mid string in total darkness you will also be temporarily blinded aswell.

Thinking about my training, I also recall that weapon mounted lights are not so good because everything you are pointing your light at, you are also pointing your weapon at. Nothing in this world can be a pro without a con and Vice Versa. I definitely want one for the SHTF, where there might be a combat type environment that I want to be well equipped for.

arbys1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thinking about my training, I also recall that weapon mounted lights are not so good because everything you are pointing your light at, you are also pointing your weapon at. Nothing in this world can be a pro without a con and Vice Versa. I definitely want one for the SHTF, where there might be a combat type environment that I want to be well equipped for.

Yea I agree with that entirely. SHTF AK's & Most other med size centerfire rifles are generally not to suitable for typical HD senario. Prob have some angry neighbors to deal with. And I hate dealing with the neighbors. I imagine {fade to dream sequence}......
    "Yea sooo, how ya been Joe? I guess you probably herd all that. Well the cat knocked over... Well, no see yea so the cat... I got this new flashlight... Yea I guess I mean uhhhh... My bad... I can fix that":dunno:

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    I have a very nice used Olight M20. This is a $95 light new. We have it for $65, plus you can use the ingo coupon to knock $6.50 off.
    Olight M20S XML Edition USED

This is as close to $50 we can get for a light that meets your requirements.

The next closest would be the Jetbeam 3M. This light is built like a tank. I think its the best value in weapon lights.
    JetBeam 3M XML Edition

I hope this helps!

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    UTG sucks

It's heavy and inferior and often out of spec.

I made the mistake of purchasing a UTG light for a gun

LT_ZL337_PRO_1.jpg

and it lasted 1/2 of a magazine before the reflector and led shattered. The light itself probably weighed a pound (probably cast from solid iron)

The polytac, on the other hand, had a lower lumen rating even though it threw light farther and wider than that UTG abortion. It also weighed less and i noticed people weren't making fun of me and wanted to know where my cool new light came from. I currently have mine on my draco SBR with the haley strategic thorn tail mount.

Reference the above lights, i have an Olight and think it's the bees knees. The jetbeam 3m xml , however, i have issues with. I think the light is amazingly bright and makes an excellent EDC light, as a weapon light it has it's drawbacks. While using the light it would cycle through it's various modes by going dim then brightening up until it was at full brightness. It would then reset. I wasn't comfortable with it as a piece of life saving equipment. I wish it just came in ON/OFF.

Top Bottom