• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    After recently purchasing a Streamlight PolyTac LED from Cwood @ Indiana Supply Depot, I was asked to do a head-to-head review of it and the Surefire G2LED.

Of course, I obliged.

Yesterday I had the chance to sit down and go over these two lights side-by-side. Currently, I am using the PolyTac as my M4 weaponlight, and lovemywoods is using the G2LED as his M4 weaponlight. Although they are interfaced differently, they are bone stock and the lights themselves have not been modified.

28137k.jpg

2v806y9.jpg

64e4b7.jpg

25fljbq.jpg

First, let's go over some basic specs from the manufacturers:

Surefire G2LED - Surefire G2 LED Flashlight

• Max Output: 80 lumens
    • Runtime: 12 hours
    • Length: 5.14 inches
    • Weight: 4.10 ounces
    • Battery: Two 123A lithiums
    • Tailcap: Push for momentary, twist for constant
    • Price: ~$58
    Streamlight PolyTac LED - Tactical Hand-Held Series - PolyTac LED | Streamlight

• Max Output: 120 lumens
    • Runtime: 3 hours
    • Length: 5.22 inches
    • Weight: 4.10 ounces
    • Battery: Two 123A lithiums
    • Tailcap: Push for momentary, click for constant
    • Price: ~$35

Up close, there are differences in fit-n-finish. The G2LED has much cleaner lines, and the workmanship is excellent. The newer models even feature an aluminum head. The PolyTac does have some monior finish inconsistencies and I had to pick off a small piece of plastic flashing when I first took it out of the box. Advantage: G2LED

The price of the PolyTac is what initially drew me to it. At almost half that of the G2LED, I wanted to see if it could stack up at least half as much. At $35, I feel less worried about damaging it, and I can more easily buy multiples for different roles or locations. Advantage: PolyTac

I have yet to run down the batteries on either light, and didn't conduct a formal test. Going by the specs, 12 hours beats 3 hours everytime. Advantage: G2LED

These lights are just about identical in size and weight. With your eyes closed, you'd be hard pressed to tell which one was dropped in your hand. Advantage: None

They both use the exact same expensive CR123 lithium batteries (x2). With the longer runtimes, I'm not as worried about battery replacement cost. Advantage: None

In standard configuration, they have slightly different tailcap operations. The PolyTac has a clickie tailcap, while the G2LED must be twisted to remain on. This is going to be more about user preference than anything, as there are good reasons for having each type. For my use, I prefer the clickie tailcap of the PolyTac. Advantage: PolyTac

Which one is brighter? While the PolyTac is rated for 120 lumens and the G2LED for 80, I wanted to see what that looked like side-by-side.

Surefire G2LED on the LEFT / Streamlight PolyTac on the RIGHT
    343qis4.jpg

*yes, I'm pointing rifles at the house. BCGs were removed for picture.

The difference was not as noticeable as I would've thought. While the G2LED had a more 'white/blue' hue to it, the PolyTac center was slightly larger. The PolyTac also seemed more intense, even when reflecting off the wood and logs. Advantage: PolyTac

I was unfortunately not able to make my camera take a workable picture of it, but light 'throw' was quite good for both lights. The PolyTac illuminated the far-away 6' bird feeder slightly brighter. Advantage: PolyTac

Overall, I am happy with my decision to run the Streamlight PolyTac LED. I must be careful with how I spend my "gear money", and I feel like I'm getting a great value for my money. The Surefire G2LED is an excellent light, and if its in your budget, I'd highly recommend it. It's an especially good value when you compare it to other Surefire offerings.

Just in case anyone was curious. . . .

My weaponlight system is composed of the Streamlight PolyTac LED in a Viking Tactics VTAC mount. This is an extremely inexpensive and simple system. The VTAC mount is slightly offset, which tucks the light nicely in between the top and side rail. Although it is made of polymer, the mount is rock solid and doesn't move at all. Activation is made with the support-side thumb.

At ~$35 for the PolyTac, and ~$24 for the VTAC mount, you're looking at an entire weaponlight system for under $60.

2rhxlsi.jpg

foejxz.jpg

lovemywoods' weaponlight system is composed of the Surefire G2LED in a Surefire M79 Universal Clamp Mount (~$40), attached to a Surefire UM tailcap with tape switch (~$95). This allows the user to control the light very precisly with simple pressure on the VFG.

108fst5.jpg

b9bvab.jpg

Last edited:

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    good review, though I refuse to buy surefire on principal. there are far better lights on the market for far less, but thats not to say surefire makes crap but they are banking on their name these days rather than innovation. I need to let you borrow some of my lights for a more wide ranging comparison some day. how big of lights do those mounts take?

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I went with the Poly-Tac on my RRA M4, I like the momentary tailcap function. Price played a part as well, and I like the Streamlight just fine.

Interloper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Great review. I have been burned so many times buy purchasing the "cheaper" product. It is nice to have a real world review to help make the decission. Thanks!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Did you take a look at the reflectors in each? Whether or not the reflector is textured (aka "orange peel") or smooth can make a difference in the "throw" of the beam (smooth gives better throw; textured gives more "spill"). The profile and quality of construction of the reflector makes a big difference too. While I often criticize Surefire for being about five years behind everyone else in terms of LED technology, their products are consistent and well made. You know what you're getting each time.

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    Great review. However I don't think you can discount the cost of batteries if the claimed runtime values are correct. (surefire last 4 times as long) A couple sets of batteries would pay the cost difference in lights. Maybe you run recharageables and that is why you discounted that aspect?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    A couple sets of batteries would pay the cost difference in lights.

:orly: I pay about $1.50 apiece for my CR123As, and they're name-brand, not Chinese crap that's going to turn your light into a road flare.

At the prices Evan listed in the OP, it would take about 7.5 sets of batteries to make up the difference between the two lights.

Last edited:

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Please list flashlights that are on par with the Streamlight, but better in light output and/or price. I would like to know.

Also, anyone here peruse FRY'S (Fishers, IN) flashlight selection? They have many different kinds that go on and off sale often. First items as you enter the store, just to the right. Highly suggest you go see.

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    Okay maybe more than a couple (used term loosely) but if your using the cost of the lights as a factor to judge then I would also judge on the consumables too. (7.5 sets of batteries is only 22.5 hrs run time as specified)It looks to be a great light not knocking it or the review just throwing it out there.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    Does anyone know if the streamlight offers any options for red or green filters? I used to have a G2 with a flip up red filter that went awol while stomping the charging handle of at 249 at 4 am :xmad: looking for a more economical replacement, thanks for the review, one more thing to consider now! :rockwoot:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Okay maybe more than a couple ... not knocking it or your review just throwing it out there.

Not my review. ;)

I'm not sure that battery cost needs to factor in one way or the other; after all, weaponlights just don't get used that much unless you train really hard, or kick doors for a living. My SureFires with the P61 high-output lamp have a whopping 20 minute listed runtime. Even so, I only change batteries about twice a year (when the beam gets noticeably dim). The difference between a 3-hour and 12-hour listed runtime is going to be transparent to most folks; with either one, you're into "change the batteries annually whether they need it or not" territory, anyway.

My :twocents:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    if your using the cost of the lights as a factor to judge then I would also judge on the consumables too.

You do make a valid point. However, in my context this is not much of an issue. As a weaponlight, it will be long before I've got it turned on for 3+ hours.

Now, for a person who would use this more regularly, that could certainly become a factor-- one that bears mentioning in this review thread.

Thanks! :yesway:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Please list flashlights that are on par with the Streamlight, but better in light output and/or price. I would like to know.

This was not an exhaustive review on the best inexpensive LED flashlight, but rather a head-to-head of 2 popular lights. If someone were to put together something like you suggest, I'd certainly be interested.

Top Bottom