• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    As far as I know Indiana is good to go, as long as you don't get stupid with it, (just like a gun). I've had mine for nigh on 28 years now and carried it all over the world and in Indiana. Not as effective as a gun, mind you, but it is a nice addition to the carry arsenal. Especially, if you have a bum knee or the like.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    As far as I know Indiana is good to go, as long as you don't get stupid with it, (just like a gun). I've had mine for nigh on 28 years now and carried it all over the world and in Indiana. Not as effective as a gun, mind you, but it is a nice addition to the carry arsenal. Especially, if you have a bum knee or the like.

Thanks Jarrel!

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I think sword canes are awesome, even though I'm not really old enough to realistically carry one.

Someday I will own one, but I look at them like more of a novelty than an actual self defense option. I guess it's better than nothing if you can't carry a gun. But if you actually require a cane to get around will you have the balance and leg strength to be able to thrust and parry effectively enough to fend off an attacker? It would probably easier to just hit him with the cane.

You could deploy it from a seated position, but once the attacker is in contact distance a sword would be too long to score effective hits. A knife would be a better option.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Interesting Kirk. That would seem to rule out a sword cane in Indy. I wonder if that statute is common in other places as well. I got into the sword initially looking for a 3' ish cane that could be used as a Half staff --which cold steel makes. Then I followed another link to the cane/sword and I thought "oooooh...."

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    No state statute. Various cities may have ordinances against them however. E.g., Indianapolis's prohibition on "non-ordinary pocket knives", arguably meets this definition.

You can see it here=>https://www.municode.com/library/in...code_of_ordinances?nodeId=TITIIPUORSA_CH451WE

That both seems a stretch and not a stretch. Icepicks can be carried in the pocket, much like pocket-knives also referenced. I could see where one could state this falls under coverage by this but I could also see where one could certainly argue the merits of such a claim and wonder what the spirit of the law actually was when it was created. Of course I might be giving to much credence to the people that created the law given the next section. I mean a .5" hat pin ban.....really.....because of all the nasty hatpin murders of 1826 or some-such no doubt. But I digress.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Are the sword canes that good? I have seen the Cold Steel video on it and yes, it can slice meat and all, but so can an exacto knife (aka "Sword of Exact 0" from the Lego Movie), but I would not fight with an exacto knife unless I had too. Just curious as I have not really seen or handled one in the wild. Thanks!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    . I could see where one could state this falls under coverage by this but I could also see where one could certainly argue the merits of such a claim and wonder what the spirit of the law actually was when it was created.

If I told you why this ordinance was passed some INGOers might be upset. I shall leave it with telling you that it was passed with the ugliest of racial stereotypes in mind that lingered in government.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    If I told you why this ordinance was passed some INGOers might be upset. I shall leave it with telling you that it was passed with the ugliest of racial stereotypes in mind that lingered in government.

Now I'm really curious. Black women and their church hats?

I wanna make a cane gun! Not sure how I'd have to make it legal? Is it an AOW? $5 stamp

I'm pretty sure it is an AOW, but it's a $200 making tax. $5 tax is for transfer.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Are the sword canes that good? I have seen the Cold Steel video on it and yes, it can slice meat and all, but so can an exacto knife (aka "Sword of Exact 0" from the Lego Movie), but I would not fight with an exacto knife unless I had too. Just curious as I have not really seen or handled one in the wild. Thanks!

There places a gun cannot go. Improvised weapons or weapons that appear to be objects of daily living are better than nothing. Guns are not always the answer. --wait, can I say that on INGO?

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009

You, sir, are a classy individual. :cheers:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Now I'm really curious. Black women and their church hats?

This is from history, an ugly racist history, this in no possible reflects what INGO or what I think:

The stereotype of the African-American from the 1870s into the 1920s was a "razor toter" (a straight razor) who engaged in crime and disorderly conduct. This stereotype manifested itself in law in anti-weapon "Son of Ham" laws in the South and in the North against razors, "unusual knives", icepicks, inter alia. The anti-weapon laws that you find in Indiana are motivated by racial (and religious) prejudice such as this bigoted stereotype.

This was only a history lesson. I mean no offense nor do I think that such stereotypes are motivated by anything other than stupidity and ignorance.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    This is from history, an ugly racist history, this in no possible reflects what INGO or what I think:

The stereotype of the African-American from the 1870s into the 1920s was a "razor toter" (a straight razor) who engaged in crime and disorderly conduct. This stereotype manifested itself in law in anti-weapon "Son of Ham" laws in the South and in the North against razors, "unusual knives", icepicks, inter alia. The anti-weapon laws that you find in Indiana are motivated by racial (and religious) prejudice such as this bigoted stereotype.

This was only a history lesson. I mean no offense nor do I think that such stereotypes are motivated by anything other than stupidity and ignorance.

I understand that part, and knew it about the straight razors and ice picks (although I thought the ice picks were more Italian/Irish based) just didn't know that hat pin part. Although I have seen some that come close to being a pretty ice pick.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)

Thank you for sharing. It's good to know where you come from, even if it's an ugly place that you look back on with sadness and regret. I have a personal bit of ugly history from the roots, 1827 to be precise, of my family here in Indiana and know only too well how jaded and full of hatred people were and even can be still today.

Top Bottom