• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeronimo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    What's the deal with switchblades? Are they illegal in Indiana? What kind of penalties come with possession of an illegal knife?

Plague421

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Portage
    If I remember correctly "switchblades" or "automatic knives" are illegal except for law enforcement officers or members of the military. I could be very wrong about this so don't take my word for it.

Possession of a automatic knife is a class B misdemeanor.

Here is a clip of the Indiana code:

IC 35-47-5-2
    Knife with blade that opens automatically or may be propelled
    Sec. 2. It is a Class B misdemeanor for a person to manufacture, possess, display, offer, sell, lend, give away, or purchase any knife with a blade that:
    (1) opens automatically; or
    (2) may be propelled;
    by hand pressure applied to a button, device containing gas, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.70-2000, SEC.2.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Actually, Plague, Indiana Code does NOT make any exceptions to LEP and/or Military in regards to possession of automatic knives.

As far as the IC goes, they're verboten in the state, period.

Of course, that doesn't mean that plenty of LEO, MIL, and EMT type folks don't have 'em.

Heck, last summer, there was a small gun shop in Ft. Wayne that was SELLING them here in Indiana...

But, guitarded (Great nickname, btw), as far as the penalties...I don't rightly know. I'd imagine that MOST of the issue would be determined by the situation in which a LEO were to find out about said knife and his/her mood at that instance.

Also know that assisted opening is A-OK here...just not "automatic".

Dumb...yes.

-J-

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    But, guitarded (Great nickname, btw), as far as the penalties...I don't rightly know. I'd imagine that MOST of the issue would be determined by the situation in which a LEO were to find out about said knife and his/her mood at that instance.

The penalty is spelled out in the IC. It's a Class B misdemeanor.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Anyone remember Dave's guns in Whiteland? This is what finally put him out of business. He sold an automatic knife to a LEO working with the ATF. They pulled his FFL. He tried many times to get it back and went through the court system. He never did get it back. It is illegal to sell or own any type of automatic knife in indiana period.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    "OWN" isn't in the IC, though.. just all those others (manufacture, possess, display, offer, sell, lend, give away, or purchase). I could own one and leave it in a different state (though that would be just as stupid as a law about automatic knives anyway..)

I should also point out that there's no special rules for the disabled, either, as there are in other states.

Personally, having legally owned automatic knives in other states, I don't need one. I can open my folding benchmade knife just as fast as I could my automatic benchmade knife. I can manipulate both with one hand and no trouble. Even if I were disabled to the point of being unable to open a standard folding knife, I'd rather have a fixed blade at that point..

Auto knives are cool, though :)

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Military personnel may have automatic knives while in uniform and on duty in Indiana (and I believe while they are on a military installation). AFAIK, they are the ONLY ones.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Title 18 USC 1716 (G) (2) (1-4) provides this summary. Federal law prohibits shipment of automatic knives across state lines, with the following exceptions: Switchblade knives can be shipped: (1) to civilian or Armed Forces supply or procurement officers and employees of the Federal Government ordering, procuring, or purchasing such knives in connection with the activities of the Federal Government; (2) to supply or procurement officers of the National Guard, the Air National guard, or militia of a state, territory or the District of Columbia ordering, procuring, or purchasing such knives in the connection with the activities of such organization; (3) to supply or procurement officers or employees of the municipal government of the District of Columbia or the government of any State or Territory, or any county, city or other political subdivision of a State or Territory; procuring or purchasing such knives in connection with the activities of such government. (4) to manufacturers of such knives or bona fide dealers therein in connection with any shipment made pursuant of an order from any person designated in paragraphs (1), (2), and (3).

My armchair view is that Federal, not State, law dictates on Federal property in regards to Federal employees or military.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I'd buy that argument (with my near-zero understanding of how military rules work) but I'd think that if you left your base, you're now subject to state laws like everybody else..

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    If you are on-duty /in-uniform it doesn't matter. It would be the same if they said since you are on-duty /in-uniform but off-base you couldn't have a sidearm or battle rifle.Same-same.:laugh:

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I was thinking more along the line of running to the grocery store.. off the clock, in civilian clothes..

The opposite would hold true as well, from what I've been told. A full-time LEO, able to carry nationwide, can't walk onto a military installation without following their rules..

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Makes me wonder what has happened, if anything, to that gun shop owner in Ft. Wayne, who was selling them.
    (No idea the name of the place, but it's on the SW part of town near the intersection of Wilkie Dr and Getz Rd in a little strip mall that's immediately south of Wilkie Dr)

A small part of me (and I ain't sayin' which part!) would like to see him penalized for breaking the rules...

Then again, the most of me whole-heartedly believes that this rule is ABSOLUTELY FREAKING RETARDED and needs changed.

*sigh*

Anyone know if this shop is even still open? It hasn't been in business all that long to begin with....

Last edited:

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    Kershaw assisted openers like my Chive and Leek open almost as quickly and snap with about the same authority as the prohibited knives. From what I can tell, it comes down to the mechanics of the knfe since these assisted openers don't fire from a button.

I'm not a lawyer, but I've watched lawyers on TV and stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Think I'm gonna see if the 1500 has any decent Kershaw deals this weekend. I'd like to get a half-serrated with a textured grip.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    I think it is kinda silly that switchblades are illegal.

Also that is kinda strange they are illegal, because I have seen them for sale at the Indy 1500 before....:n00b:

Top Bottom