• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I know this has been covered a billion times but what's one more? :cool: I was thinking last night, what would I do if something big happened in my local area, something bad, and I was at work. Sure i have my edc and a good knife, but that's about it besides a couple bottles of water. What do I really need in my vehicle to get my family and get home? Providing I can get home, which leads me to think I need enough supplies in it to get us by until we can get home and restock. So food, water, a blanket, extra mags/ammo, or a long gun to boot? I have several different paths to take going home so I want to think I could get there regardless. Thoughts?

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    To be clear I am talking vehicle and getting home.

I would say start with handgun, binoculars, compass, delorme gazetteer (maps), clothing needed to keep moving in any weather, water and a pack. Fire. Money.

Then ability to know how to make quick shelter from anything, anywhere. If you are dressed right, you may be wearing your shelter. The ability to collect and carry more water.

A plan. Learn your routes. Drive them at night. Go walk them at night. Govt will shut down highways, can you get around. Govt ain't that sharp, they mainly block highways and stack sheep up on them, know and learn your alternate routes and landmarks.

The more crap you carry, the more things you have that you don't know how to use, will only slow you down and get you killed. Your long gun is just a good find for me when hypothermia kills you.

If you are not home, you are behind enemy lines. You are outnumbered, with family and now you want to get in a running gun battle? I do two handguns for myself. I want my hands free to use binoculars and move through crap.

Add weapons last or you are wasting your time. Remember your stated purpose, land navigation. You want to get home. E&E, escape and evade. Out of sight out of mind. If you are doing it right most of your problems will be well within handgun range, you will still be out numbered.

The same gear and day packs in my truck can be used for hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, picnics or SHTF. Since I use my stuff, I know my stuff and it does not have a special name.

A good cheap handout gun to a friend is a keltec 2000 that uses your handgun mags. Even if they can't shoot, they can pull the trigger 33 times. It puts a long gun in the vehicle. We keep one for travel but we add more handguns as well. If I travel with you, I transfer my truck gear to your vehicle.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    How far are you going? What is the setting? Urban? Country?
    A small backpack to carry stuff in, Cliff bars or some such, water purification (like a Lifestraw or Sawyer), extra hat and gloves, a long gun would be helpful, depending on how far you must go.

EDIT: Zoub beat me to it.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Almost forgot, a couple radios in your vehicle are handy and kids love them. I don't carry them on me, but they stay in the glove box.

I use Binos every day for lots of reasons. There is no better tool then information.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I think there is a sticky up-top about Bug out Bags and Get Home Bags.

Basics are things like Food, Water, and Shelter. Depending how how far you need to go, weather, terrain, etc.., you may need more or less than someone else. Walking a mile during a nice fall day would be a tad different than hiking 30 miles from downtown Louisville to a house in rural Jefferson County.

My "truck bag" has things like snacks and water (that I use and replenish pretty often), spare socks, compass, a couple of ways to start a fire, rain gear, fixed blade "chopper" knife, flashlight, spare mags, etc... In the winter, it has spare gloves, hat, and scarf, and some other spare clothes. It also has a bunch of useful, non-SHTF items like bug spray, sun screen, lip balm, wet wipes, etc... that get used pretty frequently when we are out and about. Oh, and a small "boo boo" first aid kit. Tons of other things in the bag that I am forgetting.

I also have a milk crate in the back with a bunch of other stuff, a larger first aid kit under the seat, a "roadside emergency" bag (flares, tools, and the like) under the seat, and maps and such in the console. Not stuff to carry, but useful if stopped.

I work from a home office, so my bag is more for when we are out and about, or away from the house for a weekend. It doubles as my "daddy bag", so also has snacks for the kiddo, a change of clothes for her (which have gotten used many times), and other kid-specific things. Adds a LOT to the bulk and weight, and forces me to leave out some other things that would be handy.

My wife has more of a "car bag" for sheltering in place with her and our kid. She doesn't get all that far from home, so we elected to have her wait for a few hours (at most) before I can get there. Acceptable risk for us right now.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Excellent, thanks for the responses all! Sounds like what I expected, and for good reason. I work about 20 minutes from my home, live in the country and work is on the outskirts of town. I also have a set of handheld radios at the house, great idea! Sounds like I need to get the items together and stash it in the ride. :)

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    There are a lot of extras and very basic gear to port around. With the thought of a secure vehicle, or consider theft probable, basic 10 gear is all I carry, option to add extras for winter. Most are covered above, but my commute is short, however it is rural, open cornfields, and I always have a trunk bag, and a EDC get home bag.

I don't leave firearms, or electronics in my car. Water bottles are ok, but freeze solid if overnight.

I keep my cellphone charged, have an auto cord. Snacks and water are humped in a camo backpack, basic EDC(poncho, 550 cord, compass, couple firestarers, canteen cup, fixed blade Mora knife, multitool, small tarp, gloves, boonie and watch cap, couple snackbars, couple packs of Cup a Soup, hot cocoa, small water bottles(2),headlamp.

My hiker pack is empty, so can transfer clothes or survivor gear to ruck a 8 mile hike. My commute is 8 miles each way, so I will leave out any extra stuff secured in trunk.

CCW is either a G19, or a S&W 442, spare ammo also. If I go deer hunting after work, 12 ga H&R Single shot shotgun in a case. Spare ammo also. Camo clothes in duffle double as cold weather backup. Hooded liner, bibs, Carhardt jacket.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    As others have said, be prepared to ditch the vehicle and move on foot. EDC carry stuff, knife, light, water, medical, shelter, fire, comms.

Top Bottom