• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    Just living in Gary must be daily training for SHTF. The south side of Chicago is not much better.

If you live in one of these tough areas and are trying to do the right thing, my hat it off to you. Fight the good fight, not the bad one.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Here's a link to survival help in Gary

Disaster preparedness training workshop is Oct. 22 in Gary

I'm pretty sure that building is also the methadone clinic....
    It is adjacent to the Gary Police Department.

What I find very interesting is the story is saying that it is preparedness for a 90 day incident due to a disaster. Sponsored in part by each of the following groups: Boys to Men, Gary Commission on the Social Satus of Black Males, Gary Muslim Center and Ja'maat. What do these groups know that we don't know?

But for those who simply dismiss this as "being to close to Chicago" or otherwise being an urban center then I think you folks need to look at the history of SHTF and look around the world. Its probably fair to say that SHTF when the Germans marched through the streets of Paris. When the Buzzbombs were dropping on London, when Iraq invaded Kuwait, when the US was bombing Bagdhad, when the Chechen rebels were active in Bosnia, when the entire currency & economy collapsed in Argentina . . .

My point is that RURAL survival is actually more rare than URBAN survival if you look at our history. During wars people still have jobs and still go to work, they still eek out a living of some sort. Currency is still needed, food is still bartered/traded/sold.

If you think you are crossing the nation with a backpack and a gun then you are the ones who are dreaming.

Just living in Gary must be daily training for SHTF. The south side of Chicago is not much better.

If you live in one of these tough areas and are trying to do the right thing, my hat it off to you. Fight the good fight, not the bad one.
    Gary is a far better place than the South Side of Chicago. Especially now that the economy has fallen apart up here in NW Ind, there are now neighborhoods in Gary where literally 1/2 the homes are vacant, that is plenty of free SHTF shelter for those who claim it. Further that also frees up land, if the house next to yours is abandoned then what is stopping you from expanding your garden across the property line? NOTHING! Gary is full of opportunities. Personally I'm not looking to take advantage of them, but if you think OUTSIDE OF THE BOX a little, and consider the history lessons of the world, it may look like a better place than some folks think it is.

I too tip my hat to the good folks who are up there, they are living in some tougher conditions but they may be better trained for SHTF than many of us.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    War and SHTF are not necessarily the same thing...

True, SHTF can include things like ice storms, tornadoes, power outages, job losses, currency collapse, breakdown in government services, destruction of the physical infrastructure (bridges/transportation/rail lines), rioting zombies (like Occupy Wall Street but with violence), nuclear plant accidents, etc . . .

But looking at it, WAR generally results in power outages, job losses, currency collapse, breakdown in government services, destruction of physical infrastructure . . .

inxs

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    There really hasn't been a war of consequence in a socialized country as we now know them. WWII Russia might be the closest, and being totalitarian would make a poor example- at least at the start. I don't really think war as it was known before, will be a problem in this country in the near future. Much more likely is civil unrest.... within the urban environment.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Hum... 90 days hu?
    Now that I have not seen (in print on a media website).
    Anyone planning on going?

Oh shoot never mind it's during our meet & shoot.
    =)

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Hum... 90 days hu?
    Now that I have not seen (in print on a media website).
    Anyone planning on going?

Oh shoot never mind it's during our meet & shoot.
    =)

Actually I'd have loved to have gone, just to see what they are planning for, maybe its something that would help me too. But it is during our Meet & Shoot. Still, I think I'd like to attend.

If they have one again and you hear about it let me know, I'll probably go with you if you want to go (safety in numbers).

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Actually I'd have loved to have gone, just to see what they are planning for, maybe its something that would help me too. But it is during our Meet & Shoot. Still, I think I'd like to attend.

If they have one again and you hear about it let me know, I'll probably go with you if you want to go (safety in numbers).

Well I think the OP should continue to scout the NWI Hammond Times website for more info like this and post in our NWI INGO status update page so we all know about it.

Yes I would like to go to see what they have to saw. I wonder if they have a website with more info? Does not appear to have a contact #?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Here goes the info from the FB event.

Saturday, October 22 · 9:00am - 5:00pm
    LocationEdgewater Systems "Resource Center Auditorium"1100 W. 6th Ave
    Gary, Indiana 46402 (located directly behind the Gary Health Dept.)

Created ByGary Commission on the Social Status of Black Males
    More InfoTag Team Training will be facilitated by; Ledelle Muhammad & Alva X. Smith
    Their topic is "HOW TO SURVIVE IN YOUR HOME FOR 90 DAYS DURING A DISASTER"

THE EVENT IS CO-SPONSORED BY:
    - BOYS TO MEN
    - GARY COMMISSION ON THE SOCIAL STATUS OF BLACK MALES
    - THE GARY STUDY GROUP (NOI)
    - THE GARY MUSLIM CENTER
    - JA 'MAAT MASJID AL-AMIN

- Workshop donation: $20 Adults (tax deductible)
    (lunch Included - Caring Hands Catering)
    - Children of registered parents up to the age of 18 admitted free***
    - Registration deadline: Thursday, Oct. 20, 2011
    - Maxium Classroom Size is 60 Adults + Children

- For more information & to register contact:
    Gary Commission on the Social Status of Black Males @ (219) 880.2284

------
    Posted a comment BTW asking to see if they will be redoing the event at a later date as well.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Being a white guy I might stand out. Still, I think it would be a great event to attend. I'd like to know what types of "disaster" events they are planning for, and how they suggest we all prepare for those particular disasters. I'm also curious what they feel will be available during the various disaster scenarios in terms of utilities, social services, etc.

A different perspective is always a good way to find out where you are lacking.

Doty

At peace
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Gary is not as bad as people make it seem. I still go up there whenever I want good food. there is no place like el norteno and luigis pizza

Top Bottom