Survey: What "Reasonable Gun Law Reform" would/could you accept?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • finnegan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Clark County
    I asked this on non gun specific forums before asking it on here to gauge the response of gun owners that didn't sign up for an obviously pro-gun stance first. So now that I've gotten some replies from them, I'll ask here. (NOTE: These are not my suggestions. I'm just compiling them as I see them pop up and gain traction on news sites, social media, etc. This list will also be an expanded list since the responders will most certainly be more well versed in firearms lingo)

1. Background checks include mental health problems
    2. Total ban on magazines over 10 rounds.
    3. 15 rounds?
    4. 20 rounds?
    5. 30 rounds?
    6. Different capacity bans for rifles/ handguns/ shotguns?
    7. Ban on aftermarket mags allowing more than factory intended capacity?
    8. Ban on semiautomatic rifles with detachable magazines?
    9. Ban on semiautomatic handguns with detachable magazines?
    10. Ban on pistol grips?
    11. Ban on collaspable stocks?
    12. Ban on bayonet lugs?
    13. Ban on hollowpoint ammunition?
    14. National reciprocity to own and carry, own and not carry, or no license to own but to carry w/ federally recognized standardized test?
    15. National license to sell?
    16. Ability to perform background check during private sale?
    17. Mandatory background check for private sale?
    18. Mandatory training on par with LEO to own?
    19. ALL civilians, including LEO, have equal access to firearms provided equal background checks, training, and proficiency checks are met; including newly manufactured selective fire weapons and all NFA items.
    20. Firearm insurance.
    21. None of the above?
    22. All of the above?

On other, non-gun specific websites, the vast majority favors #1, about half like #14, and a very surprising majority favor #19, all of which I'm also a fan of.

Thoughts?

xring62

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Henry county
    Well I dont like any of them . Only thing I thought of is trigger locks on guns in your home IF you dont live alone and have kids except your personal carry gun/in your posession. If those guns were locked up that dumb retard could not have went to the school and done that so easy

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    IMO the BEST we can hope for is a 10 round limit on rifle magazines only. Even the Republicans are likely to cave on this issue, sad to say, because of 24/7 MSM news reporting feeding public opinion. But if that is all we get then we should be thankful.

Of course, I accepted some type of ban was imminent when BHO won his second term. Call it defeatism or whatever you want, but I warned everyone that this was coming, and many said they trusted BHO with their gun rights more than Romney. To those people, I cannot forgive your ignorance, and therefore I have to take some small pleasure in knowing that at least they finally will understand what LIBERALISM represents. Maybe they will ban all semi auto rifles, which would drive the point home further. They wanted liberalism, let them reap what they sowed, and let's only hope that the lesson learned hard, will not be forgotten.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Ban on semi automatic handguns with a detachable magazine?

We going stripper clip style now? I'd like to see a bring back of the Webley-Fosbery :yesway:

Personally, I think the mental health part of the criminal check would be easiest to do, however it would only blip if they've been committed. A person seeing a psychiatrist and one committed to an asylum are 2 different things. Then the debate of "what is mentally stable" comes into play.

On the 4473 it has a simple check box for mental health issues, that's one that is easily lied on and hard to prove otherwise.

Dave-O

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    New Albany
    Those were the three I would also go along with, I also like the wording on #16. I have walked on some FTF sales in a gun show just because of the buyer. Maybe the guy was GTG but I had no way of knowing it. I also fear it may not be our choice for long. Gun show loophole seems a real hot topic. Plus the NRA has already given that loophole away. It's going to be hard to step up to the plate and say more nics database and stop felons from attempting to buy guns. Arrest them for attempting a purchase then say absolutely no nics around a show.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Reasonable gun law reforms I would accept:

Open the machine gun registry.
    Suppressors and SBR's on title 1.
    Get rid of all the crap about what receiver you can build what gun on. Who the heck cares?
    Get rid of 922(r) for the same stupid reason.

finnegan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Clark County
    Where are all the reasonable options?

They are not found, obviously. No one has asked any gun owner of their opinion on the matter aside from someone that evidently only owns break-action single shot 20 gauge shotguns and; if we are lucky; the "assault model" .22lr rifle/ .410 shotgun combo.

arthrimus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Carmel

Sorry, the only "reasonable" gun law reforms that could be made would be moving in the direction of liberty not oppression. Your list offered no such option.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I oppose gun regulation on principle. That means that even if you could show that a particular regulation might prevent a mass shooting, I'd still be against it.

That's not the way to argue this, however. Do it backwards. Argue the principle last. First make anyone who argues for a particular regulation to demonstrate how it will prevent whatever it is they're trying to prevent.

We gain nothing from political compromise.

Top Bottom