Supporting Local Gun Shops - How Much Are You Willing to Pay?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Airtevron1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 10, 2019
    IN
    This is who I was referencing in my above post! There's 2 branches, maybe I just go to the one worth going to?

I remember going to Fetla's growing up and I can still very much remember the store and its layout, but we're talking two and a half decades since I was likely there last; I couldn't tell you much else. When did they go under?
    The one in Valpo. has been boning the people of Perter county for decades. Amazes me to see people buy from them. Even though its a new owner now, same old prices and games.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    This is who I was referencing in my above post! There's 2 branches, maybe I just go to the one worth going to?

I remember going to Fetla's growing up and I can still very much remember the store and its layout, but we're talking two and a half decades since I was likely there last; I couldn't tell you much else. When did they go under?
    It’s probably been 10-12 years since they closed their doors, maybe longer.

Johwar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2020
    Elwood
    I will always check 9 Guns in Anderson before I buy any handgun. 4 months ago I bought 2
    Glocks for $50 less than anything online or at other LGS in the area.

Lushamania

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2021
    The Region
    The one in Valpo. has been boning the people of Perter county for decades. Amazes me to see people buy from them. Even though its a new owner now, same old prices and games.
    I can't speak on the matter of prices or games, as I've only been a firearm owner for about 2 months now. However, some staff at Blythe's have treated me and my girlfriend so well that it's truly made every trip a great one. I've actually been meaning to write a letter to the owner to praise them by name and to express gratitude and recognition for all the patience, help, and assistance they've provided.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I can't speak on the matter of prices or games, as I've only been a firearm owner for about 2 months now. However, some staff at Blythe's have treated me and my girlfriend so well that it's truly made every trip a great one. I've actually been meaning to write a letter to the owner to praise them by name and to express gratitude and recognition for all the patience, help, and assistance they've provided.

I've bought several nice pieces from Blythes over the years, both the Griffith and Valpo store. But not current production items, and I knew what the market was bringing on the things I was looking at. For instance, a CZ Mannlicher stocked 550 rifle in .243 for $600. That was a few years ago, but see what that is worth today, if you could find one. Also, they usually have ammo at relatively decent pricing, or at least they did until the recent madness.

To the original topic, I have a good LGS one block north of my shop (South County Guns), and I use them for transfers and accessories, and occasionally they'll be able to order something for me at a reasonable price. Many times he just says he can't make money on it, and I find it online and transfer it in.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I've bought several nice pieces from Blythes over the years, both the Griffith and Valpo store. But not current production items, and I knew what the market was bringing on the things I was looking at. For instance, a CZ Mannlicher stocked 550 rifle in .243 for $600. That was a few years ago, but see what that is worth today, if you could find one. Also, they usually have ammo at relatively decent pricing, or at least they did until the recent madness.

To the original topic, I have a good LGS one block north of my shop (South County Guns), and I use them for transfers and accessories, and occasionally they'll be able to order something for me at a reasonable price. Many times he just says he can't make money on it, and I find it online and transfer it in.

The guys at Blythe's have always treated me well when I interact with them. They are the LGS I referred to when I started this thread. I have bought guns from both of their stores and sometimes I ended up going online. They are a well stocked shop and will have a lot of the items that most people look for. They had a great ammo selection before the pandemic and I expect they will again in the future.

I do my online transfers and will buy ammo at South County Guns in Schererville. They have always been good to deal with.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    I only support lgs. Not because they're better or anything but because back in the day when .380 was rarer than every precious metal & stone known to man I had to purchase reloads online for crazy prices and the shipping prices were even crazier.

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Portage
    I have no problems with LGS and like to do business with them. Until they say they are out of stock and it is hidden in back room for special customers or getting packaged up and sold on eBay for 2 to 3 times the price. That being said I think some LGS only care about money not taking care of the people who are loyal

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    A couple of months ago a friend of mine told me that a LGS had a HK MK23 for sale. So I went to go buy it and when I asked about if they still had it I was told it was on Gunbroker and if I wanted to buy it I would have to bid for it.

I will never go back to them.

Dakota

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Hagerstown
    I've talked to a few of the LGS owners. I know them well enough that they've told me they make as much on a FFL transfer than the do on the margins of new guns.
    At this point, nothing online is as good a price as I can find locally.
    I had an FFL for many years but never really had a shop, just ordered for people or did transfers for online buyers. I think I can agree with him, I usually made as much just doing a transfer as I did if I ordered a gun for someone and I didn't have to front the money for the gun to order it and then hope they paid me and took the gun when it came in.

INgunowner

ARC Solutions
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    Henry County
    it is hidden in back room for special customers...

...not taking care of the people who are loyal

This is why I support "my" local gunshop.
    I'm the "special customer" who calls in and asks for something, then I receive a call to pick up my items.

I receive "special" treatment for my support during the lull in public hysteria.
    I appreciate the hookup and feel no remorse for panic buyers or scalpers.

Are my prices higher? Sure.
    Does my experience warrant my continued patronage? Absolutely!!!

INgunowner

ARC Solutions
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    Henry County
    getting packaged up and sold on eBay for 2 to 3 times the price.

I think some LGS only care about money

Capitalism is the worst.
    I know lets ask the government to regulate ammo prices & availability.

And energy prices and infrastructure too
    Because well it's cold...

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    A couple of months ago a friend of mine told me that a LGS had a HK MK23 for sale. So I went to go buy it and when I asked about if they still had it I was told it was on Gunbroker and if I wanted to buy it I would have to bid for it.

I will never go back to them.
    An HK Mark 23 could be difficult to sell locally, can't say I blame them for putting it online. Maybe they had it for awhile and didn't want to have that much money tied up in inventory. Once an item goes on Gunbroker and has bids, they have already committed to sell it there. It would be unethical (and possibly illegal) for them to cancel the auction. I don't understand why this would upset you.

I had a flight helmet once that sat in the store for quite some time with a price of around $150. Nobody really seemed interested in it. I got tired of looking at it (and it took up a lot of space) so I listed it on eBay. It sold for over $800 within a few days. It's just good business to use proper marketing for the items I'm selling.

That said, I always try to keep items available for local customers first when they are in demand. I'm selling dies at the store right now for $31.78 that are bringing $60 to over $100 online. I have RCBS Rockchucker Supreme Master press kits for sale for $369.16 that I see on eBay right now for $1,499.99 plus $75.79 shipping. I have literally hundreds of items that I could put online and get double, triple or even more than that for. I'm not selling these items online because I want my local customers to be able to get what they need.

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    An HK Mark 23 could be difficult to sell locally, can't say I blame them for putting it online. Maybe they had it for awhile and didn't want to have that much money tied up in inventory. Once an item goes on Gunbroker and has bids, they have already committed to sell it there. It would be unethical (and possibly illegal) for them to cancel the auction. I don't understand why this would upset you.

I had a flight helmet once that sat in the store for quite some time with a price of around $150. Nobody really seemed interested in it. I got tired of looking at it (and it took up a lot of space) so I listed it on eBay. It sold for over $800 within a few days. It's just good business to use proper marketing for the items I'm selling.

That said, I always try to keep items available for local customers first when they are in demand. I'm selling dies at the store right now for $31.78 that are bringing $60 to over $100 online. I have RCBS Rockchucker Supreme Master press kits for sale for $369.16 that I see on eBay right now for $1,499.99 plus $75.79 shipping. I have literally hundreds of items that I could put online and get double, triple or even more than that for. I'm not selling these items online because I want my local customers to be able to get what they need.
    It may take a bit more time but not much when the word gets out. They had it for sale for $2200. I had cash in hand and wanted it as it was and easy local sale. It was within a week plus a few days from when I was informed. Auctions are pulled all the time from Gunbroker as lots of sellers disclose they can pull due to local sale.

If they want me to support a LGS then they need to support a local gun store customer.

Chuck

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I have no problems with LGS and like to do business with them. Until they say they are out of stock and it is hidden in back room for special customers or getting packaged up and sold on eBay for 2 to 3 times the price. That being said I think some LGS only care about money not taking care of the people who are loyal
    It's a business, not a charity. It's great to have a good, friendly relationship with a local gun shop, and this may indeed translate into a small discount every now and then. But the margins on most guns is razor thin. A gun shop owner who doesn't care about money will not be around long to make you feel warm and fuzzy about "loyalty." If you want loyalty, buy a puppy.

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Portage
    It's a business, not a charity. It's great to have a good, friendly relationship with a local gun shop, and this may indeed translate into a small discount every now and then. But the margins on most guns is razor thin. A gun shop owner who doesn't care about money will not be around long to make you feel warm and fuzzy about "loyalty." If you want loyalty, buy a puppy.
    I guess I did not get the point I was trying to make across very well. What I meant to say was buy from where ever you can get the stuff and at the best price. On the same hand when selling LGS get as much as you can from who ever you can.

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Portage
    This is why I support "my" local gunshop.
    I'm the "special customer" who calls in and asks for something, then I receive a call to pick up my items.

I receive "special" treatment for my support during the lull in public hysteria.
    I appreciate the hookup and feel no remorse for panic buyers or scalpers.

Are my prices higher? Sure.
    Does my experience warrant my continued patronage? Absolutely!!!
    I am not crying about not being to get what I need. I sorta feel bad for people who don't think about the future and get assed out. I have everything I need for shooting and reloading to last me the rest of my life and also for my kids. When the panic is over and shelves are full again I will stock up for the grandkids.

Top Bottom