• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Sunflowers take about 75 days to maturity so no, but they won't be ready for the start of dove hunting season. FYI, if you're doing a small plot and have many deer, they can easily wipe them out long before they reach maturity without protection.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Sunflowers take about 75 days to maturity so no, but they won't be ready for the start of dove hunting season. FYI, if you're doing a small plot and have many deer, they can easily wipe them out long before they reach maturity without protection.
    Do deer like them at all?

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Do deer like them at all?
    With deer, how much they use a particular food source always depends on what other food sources are available in your area at a given time but from what I've seen sunflowers are pretty high up the list of preferred foods when the plants are young and tender. Once the plants get older and tougher the deer will leave them alone until the seeds are ripe.

I've never been able to get sunflowers to maturity on my property. Even when planting blends, the deer will seek out sunflowers first. Sunflowers don't seem to tolerate browsing very well either.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    With deer, how much they use a particular food source always depends on what other food sources are available in your area at a given time but from what I've seen sunflowers are pretty high up the list of preferred foods when the plants are young and tender. Once the plants get older and tougher the deer will leave them alone until the seeds are ripe.

I've never been able to get sunflowers to maturity on my property. Even when planting blends, the deer will seek out sunflowers first. Sunflowers don't seem to tolerate browsing very well either.
    Appreciate the info!

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    I have used Deer Off with good luck in keeping deer and rabbits from eating our hostas and small trees, even the ones on the edge of the woods. Not really inexpensive but you don’t need much. May be worth experimenting with, not knowing how big of a plot you are looking at.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Sunflowers are part of my food plots, but it's rare to see them flower. I just plant the bird seed grade.

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    IMG_0405.jpeg

got a few growing by the house, which are a variety supposed to be 20-25’ tall.

planting them as ornamentals is nice, but as two70 said for any kind of scale wildlife mgmt purposes you’ll have a hard time without deer deterrents. hell, even with wildlife-controls a good storm will lay them over before maturity, too, unless planted thick or beside wind stops like evergreen trees & buildings.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If you are looking at a deer food plot then I would look at a blend that uses root crops. Radish sugar beet and regular beets seem to bring in the deer during the gun season after the main rut is over. The blends normally use clover oats winter wheat ect along with root crops like beets. Those deer will beat the snot out of sugar beets once most of the green forage is gone as long as they are not frozen in the soil. During the main rut food plots never seem to be great for me as the bucks seem to pester the deer out of them quickly.

If you are going for doves might I sudgest planting telephone poles and wire between them. Those doves will come from Miles around to set on those wires.

Top Bottom