• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I'll hit it with some dishsoap when I get home from work today and try that. It has been sanded pretty well so I don't think that is an issue but I'll hit it again with the 150 before cleaning it.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    alright... I have tried the epoxy a few different times and keep having the same issues. It dried great on the bottom of the trigger guard, but when I started sanding and filing it it started to peel off.
    the epoxy I put on the mag release even started to come off while I was working on it.

Looks like I will be saving money for either a LW frame, or a trade in from glock.
    (I'd almost rather do the LW so that I can sell this one to someone who wants to mess with it and make some of the money back)

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Problem is, the bed liner is permanent, and I think it gives a texture and I am not wanting any additional texture. I was wanting to fix the frame and then texture it like my chopped frame is textured (just on the panels and stuff)

ronniejones1122

Plinker
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    Castleton
    try genesis plastics welding in fortville. The company i work for is in the same industrial park. Also Wipe the area down with MEK (methyl ethyl keytone) Then apply the epoxy. Polymers can be hard to work with. You might also look into some coatings. I believe dupont makes one.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    The problem is that coldbore and many other places that do stippling, is they stipple too high on the grip for my tastes. And to cover up the work this guy (whoever he is) did, you have no choice but to go that high. Like I said before, I would rather save up the money for a replacement frame (or a new one, or even a lonewolf) than waste too much more on trying to fix this one up.
    I thought it was going to be a pretty easy cheap fix, but since the epoxy isn't working I have decided to stop wasting $3 here and $7 there to get stuff to try to fix it. It functions fine for now, so I will save my pennies for another frame.

(If I get a new frame, or a lonewolf, I will probably put this frame up in the classifieds and then if you want to try one of these other options you are more than welcome too :) I might swap it with glock though [cheaper] and then I won't have this one anymore)

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    BACK FROM THE DEAD!

I decided tonight that I want a true Glock frame on this bad boy, so I am probably going to save up to get a replacement frame from Glock.
    In the meantime I decided that I would stipple over the crap that the first guy did. I got out the Iron and started tracing the border of the grip panels. I finished the border and unplugged the iron because the tip was getting loose and I needed it to cool off before I could tighten it back down. While it was cooling I checked out some of the other tips I had and found one that is bent at about a 45 degree angle and is somewhat in the shape of a spade. I decided I would heat that up and see if I couldn't just smooth over the divits that were left in the frame. I did that tonight and it is a little rough on the outside. I am going to take some pictures tonight and then try to find some time to sand it this weekend. If all works as planned I will have a smooth frame with all the divits filled in with melted polymer and everything except the trigger guard looking stock.

I'll post up the pics after I do some sanding and finish the stippling on the panels.

Hopefully I will have found a suitable fix until I can save up the money for the frame (and decide to put it into this Glock and not one of my 4-5 other builds).

Sigh... well I guess my signature proves true again.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I actually have that bookmarked as an option, but honestly, I probably won't go that way since I can trade the frame in to GLOCK and get a new one for $150. Save almost $100 by trading it in over getting a new one.

I finished stippling the panels of the grip and I plan to hit it all with some sandpaper tonight to smooth everything out. Win or lose, expect some pictures up tonight.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    (with the exception of going completely through the grip) you can always stipple deeper. Im sure you can get it to look good again. I was just throwing it out there if you wanted a brand new one.

btw... glock trades parts?!

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    yeah I called them and told them I bought a used glock that was stippled pretty badly and they said send them the frame and $150 and they will send out a new one (to an FFL of course since it will have a new serial number).

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Alright here is the work so far. Just a recap, this is what it looked like before (well after I sanded it down a little):
    dscn2118p.jpg

This is what it looked like after i used a flat tip on the iron and melted the plastic to cover the divits:
    dscn2140j.jpg

This is what that area looks like now (still needs some more sanding and elbow grease, but it is looking a lot better):
    dscn2146b.jpg

And here are a few other pictures of the frame where it is right now (again, I know it still needs some work, but I think it is an improvement):
    dscn2147v.jpg

dscn2148c.jpg

dscn2149x.jpg

dscn2152hh.jpg

BTW, the stippling you do see on the gun (grip panels, finger groves, back strap, forward of the take down notch, and mag release) is all my work. fine tip on the Iron and then hit it with a little 300 grit. Still not a fan of the trigger guard, but the grip already feels a lot better and looks better too (the flash on the camera doesn't do it justice).

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I want it to look and feel like my G22 for starters, and also I think it's dumb to have stippling that high on the grip. The Last guy put stippling in such random spots that the frame would almost have to be completely stippled on every surface to cover it up. I think the plan is still going to be to save up for a replacement from Glock, but this (after some more sanding) will do until then.

Also, bigworm, that is pretty much what I used to get it where it is right now. Different tip, but same idea.

Top Bottom