• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    Am looking for a great level II retention holster for use with a full sized semi auto with a 4.5 to 5" barrel. Am going to buy either a FNP in 45acp or a Clock in 10mm for OWB belt carry while hunting or anytime I spend time out of doors where wearing a full sized pistol will be possible. Would prefer a retention design that includes a over the gun or saddle type design as I feel that design is almost impossible to suffer fouling induced failures that other level II holsters might due to their spring dependent retention designs. I should add I also would appreciate a recommendation of what is a good magazine holder for OWB belt use.

I have several level I OWB holsters that I use now, but for hunting I want a great solid level II retention holster.

Would greatly appreciate the opinions of hunters or hikers who were full sized pistols OWB on their belts on what level II holsters as I described they use and the holsters pros and cons if any. I turkey and deer hunt a great deal and would need a holster that will work well under a heavy jacket as I hunt regardless of freezing temps, well USUALLY regardless of low/freezing temps. Was hunting private property this year and had a quite unpleasant run in with two large feral dogs and the only reason they escaped alive was I was bow hunting and had elected to not carry that day. I'm starting to take my young sons hunting now and such a encounter although alarming to me, I fear if it happens again and one or more of my sons are along could scare off my sons from hunting, not to mention the safety factor.

Thanks,
    Arthur.

Last edited:

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Another vote for Safariland with ALS. I have ALS/SLS in my duty holster, and one with ALS for off-duty in the name of consistency. It looks really nice and is very effective!

JACKD7

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Westfield
    At the range yesterday with two guys with the Safariland; I'll be on line this week. Need a heavy duty belt though.

Top Bottom